Singer model 239 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an old sewing machine I've had since I was teenager. I haven't used it in about 5 yrs. I know the bobbin threader doesn't work anymore. I want to start using it again to do some simple sewing projects but I'm not sure if I should take it in for maintenance first, or just buy a whole new machine. It has a plastic casing on it. WDYT?

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#2 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
I have an old sewing machine I've had since I was teenager. I haven't used it in about 5 yrs. I know the bobbin threader doesn't work anymore. I want to start using it again to do some simple sewing projects but I'm not sure if I should take it in for maintenance first, or just buy a whole new machine. It has a plastic casing on it. WDYT?

Are the gears plastic or nylon? I might get something newer if it's been sitting say in an attic or basement where the gears may have detioriated.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#3 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know, where do I look? It's been in my bedroom, but we have a lot of humidity here. The last time it was worked on was 5 yrs ago, and my friend who works on them (and gave me the machine) has passed away.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#4 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
take off the top or the bottom and look inside. If you see ivory colored gears, then it's best to get it serviced to make sure the gears are still in one piece. If it worked ok 5 yrs ago, it's more likely to be ok, but it's a good idea to check.

Oh, the main reason that the bobbin winders stop working is the rubber "tire" that makes it spin wears down and doesn't make good contact. That's usually an easy fix

try the Vintage Singers group on Yahoo for more info. Your machine sounds like it's just on the cusp of being too new for them, but they might be able to help.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#5 of 8 Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post
take off the top or the bottom and look inside. If you see ivory colored gears, then it's best to get it serviced to make sure the gears are still in one piece. If it worked ok 5 yrs ago, it's more likely to be ok, but it's a good idea to check.

Oh, the main reason that the bobbin winders stop working is the rubber "tire" that makes it spin wears down and doesn't make good contact. That's usually an easy fix

try the Vintage Singers group on Yahoo for more info. Your machine sounds like it's just on the cusp of being too new for them, but they might be able to help.
Thanks!

#6 of 8 Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 PM

I have read online that an old singer is better than any of the newer machines available today at say Joanns or Walmart. So if you are not going to spend $$$$ on a new machine it seems like having your old one tuned up might be a good idea. I picked up my mom's 30 year old Singer, it had been sitting on her sun porch for years, then I put it in my closet for 6 years. Finally, dusted it off and it works okay, and it has the white gears. It needed a little oil here and there that was it.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#7 of 8 Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Singers from the 60's and earlier are the best, the ones in the 70's are hit or miss (plastic gears and other issues) and the ones from the 80's to today tend to be crap (though some people love them). The company was bought out back then and they just aren't the same as they used to be.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#8 of 8 Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM

I'd get it fixed. There's a yahoo group called Vintage Singers. You can get a ton of information there, I bet, and possibly fix it yourself if you're inclined.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page