Singer 14U? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-04-2009, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know anything about these? I might actually break down and get a serger, and my local sew n vac has one used for $150.
#2 of 4 Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
14U what? I use a 14U64 at work (I do alterations at a bridal shop) and have it set up for 3 thread. It's a 3-4 thread that uses standard Singer needles. It does a fantastic rolled hem on tulle and chiffon. Many years ago when I taught serger classes at House of Fabrics, we had the 14U34 in the classroom. I've also sewn on the 14U354 (I think that was the model #); the differential feed version of the 14U34. And there was the 14U32 which is the 3-thread version that the 14U34 replaced. All of these sergers have been out of production for at least 11 years, some of them longer. But they are workhorses that last and the parts are still readily available.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#3 of 4 Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Chris. That was really helpful. A workhorse that is repairable is what I want. The $150 price tag seemed high, though. I will find out more about it before buying.
#4 of 4 Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That might be high. The 14U64, used, was blue booked at $215.50 in 1988. I believe I sold the last, used, 14U32 for about $150 back in the 80's. But, if the machine has all the orginial assessories and the owner's manual and is in great condidtion, it could still be a good deal. A new serger can run $300 for a basic one at a discount store (Wallmart, Sears, JoAnns, etc.) or $400-500 at a dealer's. Will they teach you how to thread and sew one it? Can you take it for a test sew in the store to see if you like it? That can be just as important as the price.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page