Hold my hand while I sew with this fabric please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found some really cute thermal knit fabric at Joann's a few days ago and really want to make DS some cute pants and a shirt out of it, either for PJ's or just for play. I have never sewn with thermal knit and I keep reading about how it stretches really badly when you sew with it and now I am afraid to do anything with it.

Any tips?

I forgot to add, I am winging the pants pattern, which I make a ton for him out of old T-Shirts, but how on earth do you do a neck on a knit shirt? I really don't want to do a band around the neck, but will if I have to. Any other ideas on shirt necks that I could just sort of do without a pattern?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 AM

I made a romper out of it i did the band around the neck & it worked fine my suggestion is to use a walking foot with it. I didnt but in hindsight wonder if it wouldnt have been easier. Good luck & have fun!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

Old 08-09-2009, 01:34 AM

If you don't have a walking foot I would either a) use a stretch stitch (looks like a lightening bolt) or a zigzag or b) lengthen your stright stitch. Also very helpful is to decrease the pressor foot pressure.

For knits I usually go for a neckband of ribbing or other knit fabric with good recovery, the thermal will probably be too stretchy. Good Luck

User Tag List