How would I replicate this mobile? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This mobile is perfect for my daughter's new butterfly-themed room:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...lymobile-1.jpg

I have already had over a hundred butterflies cut (with a Cricut, thank goodness!) and I have an embroidery hoop. What I need to figure out is what to do for cross-rods (doweling?), and how to fasten all of these cardstock butterflies evenly and with as little frustration as possible. Fishing line/invisible thread is hard to work with at such fine detail. Do you think I could /should use white thread?
Any other tips? It seemed like a good way to save $100 at the time, but now I'm thinking maybe it would have been worth the $100, lol. In any event, this item is no longer sold where I originally found it, so I make it or I don't have it . Thanks for any tips.

Oh, I'd also really like to have a hoop like this with the chrome-style finish. Does anyone know where to get one? Then I'd have the cross-bars issue again though...

4 kids under 10
#2 of 13 Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM

That is adorable! And now I want one for my dd! Lucky you with a cricket!

Here's my ideas..Pretty much along the same lines as you bc there is NO WAY I'd spend 100 bucks on it!

if you want a chrome look to the "circle" I would still use something like an embrodery hoop, take off the adjustable part and hot glue gun(or wood glue or crazy glue, something super strong) it back together and vice it so it stays put for a couple of days. I would cut dowels to fit one on top of the embrodery hoop(going horizontally) one underneath(going vertically), then you don't have to worry about crosing the dowels and trying to glue them inside the hoop.You'll just either glue them one on top of the other OR tie it with invisable thread

Then when the embrodery hoop is secure I would glue on the dowels leaving it to dry. Then spray paint the entire thing to make it look chrome or white would be nice.

For the butterflies..Are you doing all the same size? If so then you shouldn't have too many issues making it weigh even. I would go to a good fabric/thread place and buy a thick invisable thread(or a thin fishing line). Hang the base part up where you plan to hang it so you can see how long you want the threads to go. Then cut your threads to verying lengths

The I would attatch the strings where you would like them and then sandwich the string through two butterflies(that way no glue smears will show) and glue shut with hot glue gun.

My tip would be to hang it where it's easy to work on then you can add butterflys to even it out...ok that didnt sound right BUT if it's hanging while you work on it,you'll have a better idea of what the finallook will be and you'll be able to hang the butterflies to balance the mobile/stick some in where it looks bare ect

Hth???

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#3 of 13 Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM

Wow, that is really cute! I hope caiesmommy's suggestions work. I don't have anything to add, I just really like that mobile!

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#4 of 13 Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 AM

I would take a look at the thrift stores for a lamp shade that you could take apart to use the metal ring and cross bars.

#5 of 13 Old 08-12-2009, 05:36 PM

My sewing machine will handle invisible quilting thread - you could use a machine with a long stitch length to make the butterfly chains. Though I think it would be very doable by hand
#6 of 13 Old 08-13-2009, 06:44 PM

You can sew the butterflies onto wax paper with invisible thread and a sewing machine, then just carefully tear away the wax paper. I do this all the time to make garlands and streamers. If you need help or directions, just let me know.
#7 of 13 Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 PM

To get the chrome look just spray paint your hoop with metallic paint spray - like Krylon. This should nicely achieve the look you want. Post pics when you finish!
#8 of 13 Old 08-17-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas! I am hoping to have the butterflies float from a single point so I'm not sure the garland idea would work, inless I folded the butterfly and just caught the back...no, that still wouldn't allow free floating--it would be stuck against the thread---it has to go through the butterfly...Great idea on the lampshade!

4 kids under 10
#9 of 13 Old 08-17-2009, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Go to Bath & Body Works and ask if they have any left from the spring. Most stores in our area had at least two or three of those hanging. I worked there ages ago (just after college) and that stuff tends to pile up. Sometimes, if you ask a manager, they'll give the stuff away.
#10 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
Go to Bath & Body Works and ask if they have any left from the spring. Most stores in our area had at least two or three of those hanging. I worked there ages ago (just after college) and that stuff tends to pile up. Sometimes, if you ask a manager, they'll give the stuff away.
Any of what left? Sorry, I'm lost... (and there are none of those stores near me, but I'm still intrigued by what you meant)

4 kids under 10
#11 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 AM

Balancing it shouldn't be an issue at all. If you have 4 strings from your hoop up to a central hanging point, you'll stay balanced unless you completely overload one side.

For attaching the butterflies,I love invisible quilting thread. You could just lay them all on the table, add a drop of good crafting glue, and lay a piece of thread on each. Then, sit down with a lot of time, and start tying knots.
#12 of 13 Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
Any of what left? Sorry, I'm lost... (and there are none of those stores near me, but I'm still intrigued by what you meant)
Bath and Body Works had several of those mobiles hanging over their displays this spring. The B&BW nearest me, which is quite small, had three. The mobiles were bigger than the one you've shown but they are otherwise the same. I think they were orange and white. My daughter loved them and I remember wondering how to make one. They will often give away or throw away old display stuff, so if you just want a mobile like the one pictured and aren't really set on making it, you could possibly just get one of theirs.
#13 of 13 Old 08-28-2009, 03:54 PM

If you look close, the hoop part is hanging by 4 threads, so I dont think you will have to worry about making it balanced, because when you hang it up from each side like that you can just ajust the lenghth of those strings to make it hang right.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page