Felt food and $$ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of making DD some felt food for Christmas but I'm wondering how much more expensive it will be to make the felt food than just to buy the plastic crap.

I know it varies by what quality felt I get, etc, but can someone give me a range of how much i'd be spending to make some various fruits and veggies, a couple of sweets, a few slices of pizza, a couple of chicken legs, that kind of thing? Just the basics?

student momma to two great girls

#2 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Hi - I made my boys some felt food with thrift store finds. I bought a couple pairs of white wool trousers and felted them in the washing machine. I cut up another sweater to stuff the pieces. After buying some Wilton cake dye and vinegar for color my total was about $15. I bought some patterns on Etsy for another $15, but you don't have to do that.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#3 of 8 Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM

I have used the felt from wal mart that is like .30 a sheet-and i just looked at a lot of pics online of other felt food (etsy is great) and used stuffing. I've bought some patterns but that is just cause I really get into making the cakes and stuff.
I think you could make some neat stuff with about $20. def.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#4 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 PM

It can easily cost less than $5 to make a bunch of felt food. Joann's and the other craft stores regularly have felt sales, like 5 sheets for $1, or if you need a lot of one color buy a yard on clearance. Just use food you have around the house for patterns - like a piece of bread to make the bread shape. I found the felt sewed very easily. (I am more of a crafter than a sewer). Also, the felt at the craft store was made in the USA from recycled bottles - I know this is not the good wool stuff but I was happy using a recycled product and not making heirloom quality toys.

HTH
#5 of 8 Old 08-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineBenes View Post
It can easily cost less than $5 to make a bunch of felt food. Joann's and the other craft stores regularly have felt sales, like 5 sheets for $1, or if you need a lot of one color buy a yard on clearance. Just use food you have around the house for patterns - like a piece of bread to make the bread shape. I found the felt sewed very easily. (I am more of a crafter than a sewer). Also, the felt at the craft store was made in the USA from recycled bottles - I know this is not the good wool stuff but I was happy using a recycled product and not making heirloom quality toys.

HTH
This exactly. If you're happy with the craft-felt...you can make a whole lot for very little money! And there are lots of tutorials online. Once you get the basic idea, you'll realize that there are just a couple of shapes used and it's all about size and color at that point!
#6 of 8 Old 08-30-2009, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I prefer the craft felt because I don't need to worry about moths getting them or little ones being allergic to wool.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM

$7 bought me 25 sheets of probably 12 different colors of felt.... I have felt food coming out the wazoo... I think I can make about the same amount as, if not more than, the huge food basket I found on etsy for $90.

The felt I bought was just the crafter's felt from Joann's.

~..~*`*~.,.~**~: JEN :~**~...~*`*~..~
Wife to Dave; SAHM to Lily (7/07) and Nathan (10/09); One HAPPY Family
#8 of 8 Old 09-03-2009, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I bought the felt sheets at our local joann fabric for literally pennies and just winged it. They came out AWESOME and my girls play with them daily almost a year later. They recently had a sleepover with an 11 and 8 year old at our house and even those older kids played with our playfood.:

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page