I'm completely new to this!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering if I can use my older flannel baby blankets to make liners for cd??? I think i read that they help wick away moisture? Do I have to sew them or can they just be cut with pinking shears? I am a total novice to this whole thing, but I am really excited to try!!! The foot pedal on my sewing machine just broke, so thats why I'm wondering about the shears.

3rd boy due Oct.

homeschooling, husband pleasing, mama to 3 boys and another little love on the way!chicken3.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Flannel baby blankets are great to recycle for diapers. Flannel is not a wicking fabric, but an absorbent fabric. A wicking inner would be something like microfleece, alova or butter suedecloth, or panne velour, which would provide a drier feeling for the baby. The flannel would be good to make some doublers to provide extra absorbency. You would need to finish the edges some how since flannel does tend to fray quite a bit.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Yes, recycling flannel baby blankets is a great idea. Sew 2 or three layers together for extra absorbency. I wouldn't just pink them with your shears, I layer really isn't enough and you want a bit more stability to the fabric.

Carol Green

User Tag List