Questions about diaper making - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So.....when my daughter was a year old we tried a cloth diaper. She peed within minutes and it soaked right through her pants. In hubby's mind that meant all cloth diapers would leak and were no good :s

Well, she's going to be needing more disposables soon, and I am also 5 weeks away from my due date (ie even more disposables to buy) so I decided last night when I was WIDE AWAKE (I was stupid, I had an iced capp) that I am going to make my own cloth diapers. I have a serger, I have a sewing machine, and I can sew (I've made a mei tai, a ring sling, rag quilts...etc). I am hoping to go buy some fabric tonight to make a few test runs to try on my daughter and see how they go!

So my questions....
What in the world is Aplix? Is it better than just the standard velcro that I can buy at Walmart? Do I need to order online or can I buy in stores somewhere? (I am in Alberta, Canada)

What size/type of elastic should I use? Some patterns say braided, other patterns say don't go with braided....I'm confused!

As far as fabric I am hoping to go with PUL for the outside (but again how many ml do I go with?), a microfibre soaker, then fleece for the inside. Can I use just standard polar fleece that I buy at my local fabric store? What about for during the summer...wouldn't fleece be incredibly warm?

Any in put would be greatly appreciated!!!
#2 of 4 Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM

Woo hoo for making cloth diapers. I'll try to answer your questions. For the outer, pul is a good way to go to make it waterproof. For the inner layer, microfleece, microchamios, and alova suedecloth are good wicking inners. Aplix is similar to velcro, but will hold up with diaper washing. Velcro you buy at the store will not last very long at all. As far as elastic, you need to make sure it can withstand high heat since diapers are washed on higher heat. I've had good luck with polybraid elastic either 1/4 or 3/8 inch.

If you need some more help, I am a member of a diaper sewing board that you are welcome to join if you'd like:
http://www.diaperdivas.proboards.com/

Michelle

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#3 of 4 Old 08-15-2009, 04:52 PM

I've ordered from www.wazoodle.com and they are based in Ontario, so no cross-border shipping issues. They have lots of stuff that would work well for you. I really like their woolly nylon thread for serging - it is completely awful while trying to thread the serger, catches on everything while you're handling it, but magically becomes just lovely when you serge with it (on cotton anyway, haven't tried it on anything else). My issue of loose and loopy corners disappeared with woolly nylon.

If you're doing AIOs...you might use fold over elastic (FOE) to bind the edges. If you're doing pockets, they have lots of PUL.

Good luck, diaper making is fun and somewhat addictive!
#4 of 4 Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 AM

For the inside, I tried to use microfleece and the pee seemed to just run on out. LOL Maybe I didn't buy the right stuff. I have made TONS of different types of diapers, and this is what I have figured out; do snaps instead of Aplix/velcro. DEF don't do WM velcro. The snaps are well worth it. I would rather pin my contours/all in ones than to ever use Aplix/velcro again. But, that is JMO. I have made covers, I have done AIOs, I have done plain diapers, made my own prefolds, etc. These are my tips:

1. need two layers, inner and outer. That can be outer double sided fleece, and inner cotton/hemp/whatever is absorbant. If you have thin absorbant fabric, do 2 full layers on diaper side. Or the absorbant fabric on both sides if you are doing a few covers instead of AIOs. Don't skimp on fabric, the better the fabric, the longer they last, and they will get washed a lot. They can make it through more than one child too, if I didn't like making them so much. LOL

2. Make an inner pad and outer pad. Inner pad is sewn in the middle of the layers. Outer pads are for when they wet more and is just placed in the middle of the diaper and comes out for washing. No snap is needed. Make extras for nighttime.

3. Casings for elastic and sewing at each end is better than sewing it down the middle of the elastic, and the casings go in the middle of the layers too.

4. Prefolds and pins work just as well as fitted, contours, etc. Especially in a pinch. Or prefolds in the covers.

5. Place elastic casings inside legs just a little more to make a ruffle, because leakage is less likely, and it looks TOOO cute.

6. You can reuse, and recycle fabrics for diapers. I buy nice fabric for the inside and outside layers of the diapers and pads. And, use old towels, receiving blankets, cotton blankets of any type, old flannel sheets in the middle unseen layers. It is sooo cheap that way, and keeps stuff out of the landfill. Thrift shops are good for this if you don't have this stuff on hand or can't replace; and wash on VERY HOT.

7. And, again, snaps instead of Aplix/velcro. It is more costly by a little bit, but you will thank me. I tried the velcro saver idea too. Uh, too busy for that.

8. I preferred wooly fleece or double sided fleece for the AIO cover, or for covers, over PUL. PUL AIOs take forever to dry. Fleece breathes better.

9. Gussets in the contour or fitted diapers or the plain covers work WONDERS!! They are put in just like in the disposies that have them. It has a little extra fabric, and keeps all the poo in. I LOVE them!! Just a little extra work, but worth it.

10. "Quilting" through the layers in the pads/diapers can make them just a little more absorbant and less bulky. If you use cotton knit, it also makes them more stable.

Well, that is what I can think of. Kymberli

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page