The Heather Bailey Happy Stacker *Finished with Pictures* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw the old thread about this pattern, but I wonder has anyone else made this?

I'm about to make it, and it seems there aren't very many people that have successfully finished it.

I was hoping at least 5 people would pop in here and say "I made it and it worked!"

I did notice someone's pictures online- (Not the MDC mom who's turned out fantasticly) of the one they finished and it doesn't look good, so I'm a little intimidated by the circles not retaining the circular look without puckering and looking all wonky.

I will post pictures if I get it finished.

Okay it took me a day of taking my time to get it all cut, and choose which fabrics I wanted to go with which ribbon- and mark the pieces properly and get oriented with the pattern.

Lots of handsewing, some pattern omissions (like no instructions about the gusset interfacing?!) and no real totally clear directions about adding ribbon, which of course I had to go and make it that way.

2nd day I completed rings 1 and 2. Day 3 I completed the rest.

I would recommend stuffing the dickens out of these rings. I think it looks sloppy softly stuffed.

I've also seen others using a whip stitch on the handsewing of the inner gusset, and the handsewing part where you close the rings after stuffing. That imo also looks sort of messy- as you can really see the stitches. I used perfectly matched thread and used the ladder stitch Heather Bailey recommends for closing the rings after stuffying, and I used the whip stitch only on the pole part. For the inner gussets which are entirely handsewn I used a backstitch and then a straight stitch repeat.

It is hard! The instructions are great as long as you can learn easily from a picture/words.

The most important part is keeping the circles circular. If you don't then you end up with a wonky looking project.

I will never make this again, but it was fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3684820...7622274656094/
#2 of 14 Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM

There is tips here -
http://momtasticstitchery.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html

I want to make one eventually, Im just too cheep to buy the pattern!
#3 of 14 Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

I found that one, she's made a couple I've seen.

I started cutting it out today after playing around with the order for a while, and of course I had to go all out and choose to use the ribbon embellishments instead of plain like she suggests for a first timer. What can I say I love making things harder.

It's not a wham bam pattern that's for sure.

The sewing I'm actually looking forward too, pattern cutting, marking etc just really isn't my favorite part.

I did notice either on the blog you mentioned or another page someone had about this pattern that they said there is fusing- there isn't. The pattern calls for lightweight sew-in interfacing not fusible.

All so confusing.

To be continued....
#4 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Bump
#5 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Beautiful!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 02:18 AM

You did a great job!

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#7 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 04:14 AM

Saw this in New Posts and wanted to tell you that your finished product looks awesome! I have never liked one that I've seen with ribbons so I made mine plain but after seeing yours I want to do one with the embellishments! You did a fabulous job!!
#8 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! It was a really surprising project, after having these weird tubes and pieces and then bam they're donuts~!

They are going to a special little man today for his 1st birthday.
#9 of 14 Old 09-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Oh my that looks really hard - but super interesting too....hmmm, will I make one?

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#10 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 AM

Wow! That is awesome! My kids have never played with stackers- so I don't think I would make one- but you have me reconsidering!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#11 of 14 Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 AM
mbm

This is really beautiful! I am impressed!

I just made this for my nephew's first birthday and it doesn't look as nice as yours. It took me a long time to make, too! I had planned to make one for my daughter's first birthday as well, but after the frustration that went into this one I'm not sure I can handle making it again so soon. Hopefully nephew will have fun with it even if it's not perfect...

Next time (if there is a next time) I would use a better quality coordinating set of fabrics instead of cheapie random colored prints, and maybe would try to sew on some of the ribbon trim. Your suggestion about using the ladder stitch is a good one. I whipstitched the gussets and pole with invisible thread, and it still looks a teensy bit sloppy.
#12 of 14 Old 09-16-2009, 01:09 AM

Wow - your end result is simply amazing! I know I don't have the patience...but honestly, beautiful

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#13 of 14 Old 09-16-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbm View Post
This is really beautiful! I am impressed!

I just made this for my nephew's first birthday and it doesn't look as nice as yours. It took me a long time to make, too! I had planned to make one for my daughter's first birthday as well, but after the frustration that went into this one I'm not sure I can handle making it again so soon. Hopefully nephew will have fun with it even if it's not perfect...

Next time (if there is a next time) I would use a better quality coordinating set of fabrics instead of cheapie random colored prints, and maybe would try to sew on some of the ribbon trim. Your suggestion about using the ladder stitch is a good one. I whipstitched the gussets and pole with invisible thread, and it still looks a teensy bit sloppy.
It was a hard project, I'm not sure the result would have been as good had I not used higher quality quilt shop fabrics. There's so much pulling and fiddling. I think the interfacing and the grain being aligned at a 45 degree angle were key to the project turning out well.

I'm not making any more of these though lol. Ever.
#14 of 14 Old 09-16-2009, 06:52 PM

Wow you did a great job on that, big pat on the back

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page