ICTC Heads Up On Infant Mortality: Please Knit or Crochet a Hat Today! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-28-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Welcome to our first Community Service Crafting Craft-Along! We are looking for those interested in knitting or crocheting for an excellent cause

Please join us to help honor babies who have died before their first birthdays and to help the International Center for Traditional Childbearing spread the word about infant mortality and its prevention. Get Involved to Support Infant and Maternal Outcomes!

Quote:
The International Center for Traditional Childbearing (ICTC) is observing the September National Infant Mortality Awareness Month with the Heads Up on Infant Mortality Campaign. “Heads Up” is an ICTC Infant Mortality Awareness Campaign to let our neighbors know that too many babies are still dying in our nation. Please help knit infant hats to represent the number of babies who died in before their first birthdays. The hats will serve as a memorial to the young lives lost.

ICTC is asking every able body to join us in knitting or crocheting infant hats and sending them to the ICTC State Representative by September 15th. The ICTC State Representatives are listed on WWW.ICTCMIDWIVES.ORG, or you can send them to the national headquarters at:

Quote:
ICTC
PO Box 11923
Portland, OR 97211
The hats will be displayed at an Infant Mortality Awareness Rally in the week of September 26th. At the end of the public awareness project the hats will be given to infants as "Going Home" gifts when they leave the local Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)—what a comforting gift to an ill baby and support to worried parents! By participating in the “Heads Up” Campaign, we can increase awareness about the causes of infant mortality and create the solutions.

Infant Mortality Awareness Month was created by a resolution of the U.S. House of Representatives in 2006. Said Representative Michael Burgess (TX-26), a sponsor of the resolution, “Infant mortality rates are appalling,” in response to the infant mortality rate in the U.S., which is 30th in the world. The goals of Infant Mortality Awareness Month are to increase national awareness of contributing factors to infant mortality, and to urge community leaders to assist in efforts to meet reduce the rate of infant mortality in this country by 2010.

The U.S. has one of the highest infant mortality rates among the industrialized nations, and an African American baby has the highest infant mortality rate of any race at 13.5 per 1,000 live births compared with 5.7 per 1,000 live births for whites and Hispanics, according to statistics
from the CDC.

In 2008, over 27,600 infants died before age one and most of the deaths were preventable. Monroe, president and founder, says, “factors that contribute to the higher rates of infant deaths include: premature births, low-birth weight, poverty, poor-education about proper food choices, poor pre-conception health, late prenatal care (beginning prenatal care late in the 2nd trimester), less than 5 prenatal visits, high blood pressure (causing restricted blood flow to the placenta) and hypertension formally referred to as pre-eclampsia, SIDS, failure to thrive syndrome and accidents.”

The International Center for Traditional Childbearing (ICTC) is an infant mortality prevention, breastfeeding promotion and midwife training organization. The mission is to increase the number of black midwives, doulas, and healers, and to empower families in order to reduce maternal and infant mortality. Established in 1991 and headquartered in Portland, Oregon, they have chapters and members around the globe to improve birth outcomes.

Monroe says, “To reduce infant mortality the use of midwives is essential, as is the need for women to breastfeed their babies for at least one year. Socially, pregnant women need to be loved, protected, nurtured and helped, not just during pregnancy but during the full spectrum of motherhood.” Monroe concludes, “It Takes a Village to Raise a Child" and the village forms at pregnancy.”

This project is being co-sponsored by Birthing Hands of DC, JJ Way™, and the National Association of Certified Professional Midwives.
MDC would like to help spread the word. We invite you to please join us and knit or crochet a hat today! This project will be facilitated by AdinaL so please direct forum-related questions to her.

Here are some hat patterns. We will also host a show-off thread (with images!) to admire each other's work.

Please feel free to post if you're interested in participating and let's share in the joy of creating for a great cause Thank you so much!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#2 of 24 Old 08-29-2009, 09:06 AM

I would love to participate. Does the yarn have to be a specific fiber? Or acrylic?
#3 of 24 Old 08-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
There doesn't appear to be a requirement for fiber. I will check and see. Safe bet is washable - so a soft acrylic would probably be fine.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 24 Old 08-30-2009, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'd love to join! I may have some cotton yarn, but mostly wool. I will have to go through my stash.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 24 Old 08-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator

I double checked and there are no fiber requirements. So, use what you have!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 24 Old 08-30-2009, 01:27 PM

I saw another midwife who is having a knitting/crocheting circle at her house or birth center each week in september, I was thinking of doing that, it seems like a great excuse to socialize and do something for good.
#7 of 24 Old 08-30-2009, 02:49 PM

For those who want to do the mock-cable hat, here's the link:
http://www.ictcmidwives.org/hat5.pdf (it had gotten grouped with hat 6 so wasn't clickable in the pattern link)
#8 of 24 Old 08-30-2009, 02:52 PM

awesome! I'll definitely be in for some hats!

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#9 of 24 Old 08-30-2009, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone!!!!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#10 of 24 Old 08-31-2009, 11:49 PM

Count me in! What a wonderful project!

ETA: Does it need to be one of the hat patterns linked above? Or can we use any infant hat pattern?

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#11 of 24 Old 09-01-2009, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wonderful!

DD1 has been knitting numerous baby hats- it all started in making a gift for the new baby next door, which came out way too small. So she finished that hat (after I informed her it would be wonderful for a preemie) and made another for the neighbors, then had a lot of fun knitting more hats after that. She's made about half a dozen so far. We've been trying to find a place to donate them.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#12 of 24 Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ruth, that's wonderful, thank you!

Quote:
Or can we use any infant hat pattern?
Mandy, any hat pattern would be fine

#13 of 24 Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 AM

The link you have goes to the website, but I can't find any information on the the actual project. Is there a direct link to the information that you provided in the original post? I would like to share this project with both my Yahoo charity crafting group and my Facebook crocheting group but will need a link to the actual project info.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#14 of 24 Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I only have hotlinked pdfs that will automatically download:

Project Flyer

and

Informational Press Release

Thank you so much for helping to spread the word!!

#15 of 24 Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Thank you :

Got the first one done and have a several woman in my charity crafting group involved.

I'm going to post this info to my FB group now.

Here's the cupcake hat I'll be sending Monday (along with a few others that I will whip up at the beach this weekend)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1343733145

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#16 of 24 Old 09-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator

I should start a picture thread!

#17 of 24 Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Thank you :

Here's the cupcake hat I'll be sending Monday (along with a few others that I will whip up at the beach this weekend)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1343733145

Oh my gosh, that is so adorable! Is that crochet or knit? I love it! :

This is such a wonderful idea. Thank you for bringing it to our awareness. My daughter was a low birth weight baby. She's celebrating her 1st birthday at the end of this month. I'm very grateful for her good health, but I really grieve for parents who aren't as fortunate. I'm thrilled that here is a way to honor the memory of those departed children in a positive fashion.

Here's pictures of my little hat. I've never made one before and was surprised at how quick it went.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7V8wVsHZ6d...910092235a.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7V8wVsHZ6d...0910092235.jpg
#18 of 24 Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jramatique! View Post
Oh my gosh, that is so adorable! Is that crochet or knit? I love it! :

Crochet..I should have written down the pattern...It would be great for my charity crafting group...I'm going to see if I can make another one.

#19 of 24 Old 09-11-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jramatique! View Post
How cute on the bear! Did you post to the picture thread?

#20 of 24 Old 09-12-2009, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the compliment. No, I didn't put my link on the picture thread. I'm rather new to discussion forums so I didn't even realize there was a picture thread until today. Whoops!

I'll post it over there now.
#21 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quick question-it's been taking longer than I thought for dd and I to finish these. Do we have to have them *there* by the 15th or sent out by the 15th?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#22 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

It looks like they go on display the week of the 26th. So get them postmarked by the 15th and you should be in good shape.

#23 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow- it's close to the deadline already?

Do I need to prewash the hats before mailing them out?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#24 of 24 Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 PM

I totally suck at patterns - I can't write one and almost never use one. A bunch of people have asked me for a pattern so I made another one and did directions with pictures along the way. If someone wants to write a pattern - have at it. Here is a link to the photo step by step if anyone is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=46b7e02fe6

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page