making wings look feathery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd wants an angel costume for her birthday (in one week) and I found a pair of angel wings at the thrift store, but their kind of lame--just white tulle on a wire frame, with feathers painted on in white. I've been trying to figure out how to make them look more feathery.

Seems like craft stores have tiny bags of feathers, and it would cost a lot of money to buy two wings worth! DH suggested finding an old feather pillow, and if I can find one, I still have no idea how to attach a mass o feathers to the wings without them just looking like a jumbled mess.

A white feather boa could be sewn or glued on, but I'm not sure I can find or afford enough white feather boas to do the job.

Am thinking that Michaels might have feathered boas, and maybe I could buy one and it would be long enough to attach to the outside of the wings, and that might be enough?

The wings came with a pretty feathery halo and three lace gloves, btw. That's thrift store shopping for ya!

Anyone got any bright (fast, cheap) ideas?

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it's probably too late, but you could use white trash bags - probably just one, maybe two. Cut one row of feathers, attach with glue or whatever you're using but leave the tips free to flutter. Cut another row, stagger their position, glue. Etc....Keep doing till one side is full. It should give the look of delicate opaque feathers that will flutter with small movements.

User Tag List