I spy bags, can't get plastic right - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-04-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter (14) is sewing I spy bags for a craft show and for christmas gifts. We bought all the materials and the plastic, but no matter what she does, she can't get the plastic sewn right. I am really no help, I don't sew. The plastic keeps bunching and pulling and it won't lay flat.

I told her I would ask on here, hope someone has some ideas for her! Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 PM

I was told when I bought the plastic for mine that it would do that. I never did make mine (the plastic helped us out with our AC one year :S) but the lady at the store said putting something on top of the plastic might help....what about some really light interfacing that could be ripped off once its sewn?

Do a test run first as I'm not sure what part she's sewing and how it'll look etc but I think that would work.

Good luck!
#3 of 4 Old 09-05-2009, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hemmed the "window" of my main fabric first (I think you cn skip this step if you re using fleece or something which won;t fry much).

Then I cut my plastic slightly larger than I needed. I used tape to hold it in place. Do not sew over the tape, it will gum up the machine.

I put tissue paper over the top while I was sewing it, I still found I had to go quite slowly.

Finally I trimmed away the excess fabric and plastic, I didn't want the things getting stuck behind it.

Hope that helps
#4 of 4 Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 PM

As people have posted, use paper (tissue paper, computer paper, parchment paper) between the plastic and the pressure foot. Or between the bed of the machine and the plastic. I use parchment paper. It tears off cleaner than tissue or computer/typing paper does. A walking foot or roller foot will also help. So will guiding the plastic through the machine. One hand pulling from behind the foot and the other hand quiding the plastic in front of the machine. Don't pull faster than the machine is sewing. That can break the needle and could cause the machine to go out of time.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page