how can I figure out the material??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a non-crafty mama, so I apologize in advance for my totally ignorant question.

When ds was born 5 years ago, dh's aunt knitted him some pants. We never got them to fit quite right - the waist was too large for the length, so he wore them all of once and we never needed to wash them.

Welll, here we are 5 years later, and I was thinking I could put a little ribbon "drawstring" around the waist to make it a little more adjustable for our dd, who's arriving in a few weeks. I was even thinking that they may work as a diaper cover, if they are wool...but I don't know what material they are knitted from!

I don't want to ask dh's aunt, because then she'll know we rarely used them with ds. Is there a way for me to find out if it's wool/cotton/synthetic, or would it just be a matter of trial and error?
#2 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 02:51 PM

You can actually use acrylic knit pants as a cover, they aren't bulletproof, but they are a bit water repellant (definately not a soaker) You could try to burn a strand and blow it out. If it smells like burning hair, it's wool, if it doesn't, it's cotton, if it leaves a lump after being burned it's acrylic.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#3 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM

Not an ignorant question. I don't think your aunt would mind if you asked her. Tell her you don't want to ruin them, use them for your new LO & ask what she used to make them.

If there is a little piece you can clip off you can do a 'burn test', maybe where the loose ends were sewn in. Natural fibers burn and synthetics melt. Let me see if I can find my whole chart....
#4 of 5 Old 09-07-2009, 02:55 PM

...here's a link to a chart that has all the different fibers.
#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone! I'm looking for a way to get a strand to burn test. I knew there had to be a way. If all else fails, I'll ask dh's aunt...but I'd rather not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page