What to do with belly cast - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > What to do with belly cast
kittywitty's Avatar kittywitty 12:18 AM 09-13-2009
I have two belly casts from when I was pg with my now-toddler. I would like to hang them on the wall, but I think they are too fragile-just plaster and rather thin. What can I do to reinforce them so they will last and be able to be mounted? Or what else can I do with them?

jimblejamble's Avatar jimblejamble 01:13 AM 09-13-2009
Could you maybe get some more plaster-casting stuff and line the inside with an extra layer?
mlh's Avatar mlh 02:50 PM 09-13-2009
I have a friend who uses hers as bowls. She did have them set in something other than plaster though to keeep them strong...I am not sure exactly what she used, but they look amazing.
JillyD's Avatar JillyD 02:18 AM 09-16-2009
you can coat them with modge-podge (you can get it at a craft store) and it helps them become more sturdy. I modge-podged fabric scraps on the top and it looks awesome.
AllisonR's Avatar AllisonR 05:53 AM 09-18-2009
Line the inside with something to strengthen it. I would do a test area first, and then a small amount at a time. If you do the whole cast at once, and it gets too moist, it might loose it's form. FWIW, I hung mine with fish wire on the wall. It's been up for 5 years without problems.
kittywitty's Avatar kittywitty 11:34 AM 09-18-2009
Thanks! I will have to take a trip to get some more plaster or something to reinforce it.
Noelle C.'s Avatar Noelle C. 10:15 PM 09-20-2009
Don't use more plaster. It would have to be solid to not break, and even then is still fragile. Get some spray adhesive. Spray and cover with strips of newspaper. After a couple spray-adhered layers, papier mache. Half white glue, half water, quickly dip newpaper strips and used your fingers to get off excess (stick between your fore and middle fingers and pull), and layer layer layer. Only a couple layers at a time, wait for them to dry, then add more. Alternate directions of the layers for the strongest form. Paper is surprisingly strong.
kittywitty's Avatar kittywitty 03:41 PM 09-21-2009
Thanks! I haven't done anything with it yet because I couldn't find plaster strips. Good thing!
Up