Do you sew your own clothes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If so, can I ask a few questions?

I am looking to sew my own clothes. I have weird proportions. I'm 5'3'', size 18, an have a 42G chest. So think petite, yet plus size proportions with a disproportionately larger top. Yea, getting RTW clothes is super fun.

Anyways, I've got some basic sewing experience and some pattern drafting experience. I think I can tackle skirts easily. However, tops? : Pants?: Dresses????:::

Is it harder to sew/fit those items?

Why did you start sewing your own clothes?

Do you use RTW patterns or draft your own?

I know sewing my own clothes will be more expensive than sale prices at Target (where I currently can afford to shop), but is it less expensive than, say Ann Taylor/more upscale clothing stores? The same?

Also, I am drooling over this skirt: http://www.denimskirts.com/sufllojesk.html

However, I'm hesitant to buy it because I can't try it on first. That, and I know it will most likely be too long for me. Anyone know of a similar pattern? Or is it just easier to buy it & modify it later?

I just finished drafting & sewing a mock up apron for my sis's birthday. It's a cute, 1950s style apron. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, even after adding on my own alterations/tweaks. So I'm feeling pretty confident right now.

Thanks!

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#2 of 6 Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 AM

I'd buy it and if it's too long hem it. Just the cost of buying that much denim for a skirt your size will be a good chunk of money and sewing a lovely skirt like that with a zipper fly, belt loops, and such lovely curves will be a daunting task unless your a really good seamstress.
#3 of 6 Old 09-17-2009, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by feest View Post
I'd buy it and if it's too long hem it. Just the cost of buying that much denim for a skirt your size will be a good chunk of money and sewing a lovely skirt like that with a zipper fly, belt loops, and such lovely curves will be a daunting task unless your a really good seamstress.
I guess, but if I never stretch, I won't grow.

I wasn't thinking of making an exact replica. I would most likely not do a waistband, and put in an invisible zipper either at the side or back. However, the curves are daunting. Especially on denim. Any other fabric and I'd be game. I do have an old 1950s straight stitch workhorse, so denim *shouldn't* be an issue. But curves.....ack. I agree though, trying to recreate the waistband with belt loops & fly--no thanks!

I'm afraid of shortening it with all the curves--if I have to cut off too much, won't it look 'odd'?

(As for amount of fabric, I have a fabric warehouse near me and if that doesn't have good prices, there's always a 40% off coupon on Joanns. )

It is a lovely skirt though.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#4 of 6 Old 09-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Hi Ami! I say go for it! Start out with simple patterns ( the fewer the pattern pieces the easier) and less expensive fabric and work your way up as your skill set improves. A novice can whip up t-shirts- which means you could do tank tops, short sleeves, 3/4 length sleeves and long sleeves. For pants I'd start with yoga pants, flannel pj bottoms, and skirts. Tackle pants that need more details and fitting when you've got a bit more sewing experience. Then skirts and dresses offer lots- I especially love wrap dresses.

Instead of "big 3" patterns ( simplicity, butterick, mccalls) I prefer Kwik sew, ottobre, burda patterns. Imo they are better quality and the fit is way better- which make their higher cost worth it, especially since I'll use the same pattern over and over. They all have plus size patterns available.

If you already know from a lifetime of rtw clothes not fitting you that you'd benefit from being able to make your own- get going You can do it as cheaply or expensively as you want. Will you spend a little more than Target? easliy- but Ann Taylor? not often.
#5 of 6 Old 09-20-2009, 04:23 AM

I think that skirts are ideal for a beginner (IMO there are just fewer discouraging fit issues than with pants or a fitted shirt, you know?) - especially A-line skirts. I do think the skirt you linked to is a bit daunting for a beginner, but if you're brave, go for it! Sewing is NOT HARD. You just need a pattern of some kind and a willingness to think through the steps logically. You can do it!

I thought I remembered a Simplicity pattern with somewhat similar swirly curves, but I can't find it. It may be OOP? If you'd like to try something in sort of the same silhouette, but easier, I might try starting with something like this:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2276-misses-skirts.aspx

You could totally do View B in a lightweight denim. It wouldn't be anything near a copy of the skirt you linked to, but it would be very achievable and you'd be likely to end up with something you'd be happy wearing.

Science-loving mama to one little guy (11/09).
#6 of 6 Old 09-21-2009, 12:54 AM

I sew a few things for myself and a lot for my daughter (11/07). I prefer the older patterns, 60s and 70s because they tend to be made with more clever finishing techniques and more versatility.

Usually I end up making the first one 'to the pattern' and finding all the things I dislike about how it fits on me or on DD - and then altering it for the second time around with better results. Buying really cheap plain (even ugly.. sometimes) fabric that is still the right weight is a good way to learn a lot and test out any pattern quickly.

~Marie @ KnitOwl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page