Debbie Bliss yarn... worth it? Where to buy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-08-2004, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a Debbie Bliss book and holy cow are there the most beautiful baby things in it!!! They all call for her yarn of course. The ladies at my yarn shop helped me choose a different yarn for a sweater I'm making for Bret, but the Debbie Bliss yarn sounds delicious! Cashmerino aran??? Doesn't that just *sound* lovely? lol

Has anyone used DB yarn? Where did you get it (online)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-08-2004, 03:39 AM

I have heard that it is heavenly but alas, I do not know where to buy it online
#3 of 10 Old 02-09-2004, 01:14 AM

It IS heavenly!!! I just finished the garter stitch baby jacket made with cashmerino, and it was just wonderful to knit with. It's SO soft. There are a zillion places to buy it online. If you google "cashmerino," you'll get lots of hits.
#4 of 10 Old 02-09-2004, 03:05 PM

I love Debbie Bliss patterns and the yarn is very soft with pretty colors but seems expensive to me. I've had good luck substituting Mission Falls yarns for the DB aran weights. They're cheaper, have great colors and are also machine washable.

MF is available pretty cheaply at www.yarnforward.com

If you want DB yarns, www.theknittinggarden.com carries them and is a great store to buy from.
#5 of 10 Old 02-19-2004, 03:56 PM

I had a look at the Debbie Bliss yarns at my local yarn shop, and they seemed to often have less yardage than other, cheaper yarns. I generally substitute something by Sirdar (do they have Sirdar yarns in the US?) Better yardage means often you need fewer balls of yarn when using a non-DB yarn. I found that Rowan yarns were also often less yardage too.

I must say, I love Debbie Bliss patterns, but they are often tricky. She doesn't use a single extra letter, never mind word, when writing patterns, and you have to be soooooo careful reading them That said, I still buy most of her books!
#6 of 10 Old 02-20-2004, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alison
I must say, I love Debbie Bliss patterns, but they are often tricky. She doesn't use a single extra letter, never mind word, when writing patterns, and you have to be soooooo careful reading them That said, I still buy most of her books!
Oh man, you're not kidding on that one! A sweater that looked simple is turning out to be quite complicated. I'm about halfway done... would probably have been a little further along, but I had to take a break and work on something less cerebral.
#7 of 10 Old 02-20-2004, 12:15 PM

ff topic

Hi Alison!

Are you talking about the shop at the Hydrostone market ? After talking to you guys on Monday I started knitting agian. I felt irritated that you guys are so good at knitting and I suck. So I tried again, and now I think I will finish the sweater for Liam I am working on. I want to knit a blanket for my friend's baby. Would cashmerino be a good yarn? I want it to be really a really specail material, as the construction would have to be simple for my beginner hands.

Natalie
#8 of 10 Old 02-20-2004, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pb_and_j
Oh man, you're not kidding on that one! A sweater that looked simple is turning out to be quite complicated. I'm about halfway done... would probably have been a little further along, but I had to take a break and work on something less cerebral.
Yeah, even her Easy Baby Knits book is not really "easy". It's just the way she writes her patterns I think! But when you get it done, it will be so cute, because her sweaters are just so nice. They have all sorts of little details that other designers feel it isn't worth putting in a child's sweater! Just make sure the sweater gets worn by as many kids as possible, so that you feel that your effort was worth it!
#9 of 10 Old 07-09-2014, 06:17 AM

Pattern Grid

Can someone please tell me how to read a Debbie Bliss pattern, I am not sure which stitches you use when on the grid you just have a symbol for K2tog, do you use the one before the symbol or the one after!!!!
#10 of 10 Old 07-09-2014, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I don't think it matters as long as you do the same for the other rows.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page