new to sewing - idiotic pattern ??s - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!
Am embarking on my fourth ever sewing project and the first to be worn - and made with a bought pattern. Everything I read says to trace the pattern onto the right side of the fabric. I know they make fabric pens - is that what I use? I realize that the pen lines will probably be hidden in the sewn seam, but it seems like it will be hard to draw good lines on fleece or like fabric. Also, the pattern is for various sizes. I realize that I can cut it to the size I need now, but that means I won't be able to use the other sizes later. Thanks for any help! And be prepared to find me back here numerous times between now and Halloween

Married to DH since 11/02; mama to DS 7/06 and DD 4/08. Wannabe knitter and TF newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Banned

If you cut out the pattern to your size, you can pin the pattern to the fabric and cut around that rather than tracing. I've been sewing for many many moons (25 years, yeesh, but I'm only 28, so I guess that's okay), and have never heard of any pattern saying to trace like this. Where are you reading to do this? There's a tracing wheel and chalk that can be usd for certain items, but this isn't really going to apply for beginner patterns. Which pattern are you looking at?
#3 of 9 Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

It's just a McCall's animal costume. I'd rather pin and cut since I stink at tracing I doubt I'll be using the pattern again, but was just wondering for future reference how you're supposed to do it! Thanks!!

Married to DH since 11/02; mama to DS 7/06 and DD 4/08. Wannabe knitter and TF newbie
#4 of 9 Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Also, read your pattern instructions, double check about marking on the right sides. Usually, you make marks on the wrong sides, so you can see them when you're sewing right sides together.

A common thing is for the instructions to show your fabric folded in half, so you can cut once and get two mirror image pieces.
#5 of 9 Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztraea View Post
It's just a McCall's animal costume. I'd rather pin and cut since I stink at tracing I doubt I'll be using the pattern again, but was just wondering for future reference how you're supposed to do it! Thanks!!
Is it McCalls 8938? That pattern can use fake fur for the costumes. Fake fur needs to be traced with a marker, like a Sharpie, then cut with scissors (or a razor blade) one pattern piece at a time. Fleece might also be easier to cut if traced instead of pinned. To reuse the other sizes, just trace onto another sheet of paper (or featherweight sew-in interfacing) the size you want to use now. The tissue paper pattern can be saved for another size.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#6 of 9 Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

It's the M5956. I'm hoping to modify it into a Max from WTWTA costume The pattern specifies that I am to "lay pieces on wrong side of fabric following layout" if I use fake fur, but wouldn't I actually lay pieces out DURING layout? lol And, if not using fur, I am supposed to lay them out on the right side of the fabric. Why would that be?And does it matter?

#7 of 9 Old 10-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztraea View Post
It's the M5956. I'm hoping to modify it into a Max from WTWTA costume The pattern specifies that I am to "lay pieces on wrong side of fabric following layout" if I use fake fur, but wouldn't I actually lay pieces out DURING layout? lol And, if not using fur, I am supposed to lay them out on the right side of the fabric. Why would that be?And does it matter?
"lay pieces on wrong side of fabric following layout" means to lay out the pattern pieces just like the diagram on the guide sheet. Follow in this case doesn't mean "following the leader"; it means "follow the directions". If that makes sense? I pin the pattern pieces to the right side of the fabric when cutting out. That makes it easier to match designs and plaids and to transfer any markings from the pattern piece to both wrong sides of the fabric at the same time. But fake fur has to be laid out and cut on the wrong side.

http://sewing.about.com/od/techniques/ss/sewingfur.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_2106522_cut-sew-fake-fur.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkuZ5m_yS8g

On laying out the pattern pieces and cutting:

http://sewing.about.com/library/lessons/bllesson6.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_5222_lay-sewing-pattern.html
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...attern-layouts

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#8 of 9 Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
"lay pieces on wrong side of fabric following layout" means to lay out the pattern pieces just like the diagram on the guide sheet. Follow in this case doesn't mean "following the leader"; it means "follow the directions". If that makes sense?

Pinned, cut, and body is sewn! Thanks for the help!!

#9 of 9 Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM

You're welcome. Don't forget to post pictures when it's done.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page