Looking for amazing, comfy scissors! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cut out a lot of intricate appliques and am looking to get a better pair of scissors so my hands don't hurt (or get blisters)! Does anyone have a recommendation for a pair that they love that allows them to cut for hours without feeling it? Does this even exist?!

TIA
#2 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

They'll cost you. Ginghers. They cut like a warm knife through butter, reducing hand-fatigue. I've got so many pairs of them and they've nearly revolutionized sewing.

They do have a pair of knife-edge applique scissors (yes, they are this specialized).
#3 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 AM

I love these, and for tiny, intricate work, these. I've used them both for ages and they hold up really well.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#4 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle C. View Post
They'll cost you. Ginghers. They cut like a warm knife through butter, reducing hand-fatigue. I've got so many pairs of them and they've nearly revolutionized sewing.

They do have a pair of knife-edge applique scissors (yes, they are this specialized).
I saw those today, but I can't figure out how NO soft, squishy material around where my hands go could be comfortable! Metal seems like the least comfortable. But I guess there's gotta be a reason they're so expensive!

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about a rotary cutter working on t-shirt fabric?

Thanks
#5 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bamama View Post
I saw those today, but I can't figure out how NO soft, squishy material around where my hands go could be comfortable! Metal seems like the least comfortable. But I guess there's gotta be a reason they're so expensive!

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about a rotary cutter working on t-shirt fabric?

Thanks
It's in how easy it is to cut with them. You don't need to grip as hard as with Fiskers or other brands. They hold an edge so well that in the theater I used to work, they only needed sharpening every four or so years, which is NOT often, despite such heavy use. Gingher does have a line with plastic handles in the $20-$30 range, but I feel the regular ones are smoother to cut. I've had arthritis since I was 14, and these are the only scissors I've found that allowed me to cut a full hour without pain and blisters.

I've been using my dressmaking shears about a year and a half now, and still so sharp! By comparison, I dull up a pair if Fiskers in six weeks, tops, so the cost of the shears is so much less than all those Fiskers! Plus the company hones them for $7.50, when they do finally need it.

btw, don't cut paper with your good scissors. Oddly, paper dulls scissors faster than anything else!!
#6 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just wrap strips of cotton interlock around the handles in spots that rub my hands but that's only with my gigantic, heavy shears. With a good pair of embroidery scissors, you likely won't even notice them.

oh, and rotary cutters are fine on knits, I used mine all the time for that, but it's hard to do detail work with them. Maybe you could rough cut your designs with the rotary cutter and save the scissors for the finer work?

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#7 of 14 Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle C. View Post
It's in how easy it is to cut with them. You don't need to grip as hard as with Fiskers or other brands. They hold an edge so well that in the theater I used to work, they only needed sharpening every four or so years, which is NOT often, despite such heavy use. Gingher does have a line with plastic handles in the $20-$30 range, but I feel the regular ones are smoother to cut. I've had arthritis since I was 14, and these are the only scissors I've found that allowed me to cut a full hour without pain and blisters.

I've been using my dressmaking shears about a year and a half now, and still so sharp! By comparison, I dull up a pair if Fiskers in six weeks, tops, so the cost of the shears is so much less than all those Fiskers! Plus the company hones them for $7.50, when they do finally need it.

btw, don't cut paper with your good scissors. Oddly, paper dulls scissors faster than anything else!!
These Ginghers are definitely going on my Christmas list I too feel like my scissors go dull so quickly and I am really good about not using them on paper, so sharpening once every three years sounds perfect to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelin View Post
I just wrap strips of cotton interlock around the handles in spots that rub my hands but that's only with my gigantic, heavy shears. With a good pair of embroidery scissors, you likely won't even notice them.

oh, and rotary cutters are fine on knits, I used mine all the time for that, but it's hard to do detail work with them. Maybe you could rough cut your designs with the rotary cutter and save the scissors for the finer work?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm gonna do - I tried one today and it was amazing - I couldn't believe it actually cut! I feel as if my life has been changed forever
#8 of 14 Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

Look up reviews on these things. You won't regret getting them. I have 11 different pairs, all for specific purposes. Once you get one pair (I suggest starting with the dressmaking shears), it's hard not to buy more! The right tool for the specific job makes a huge difference.

Also less waste from all the old pairs of dull Fiskers being thrown out!! We keep all my old pairs around (all those colored handles made it easier to tell my newest from older pairs!) for around-the-house use, like paper-cutting, cutting wire if we need to, opening bags, cutting up soda rings, etc..

You know how, with regular scissors, you try cutting all the way to the edge to the blade and they don't cut? They just kind of stretch and fray the fabric? And when you try to cut a wedge out of something, it's the stretch-fray or els opening those things wider and trying to stop just at the exact point, but you still often go slightly too far, and just have to live with it? No more of that with these!!

Kind of funny how a brand of scissors can incite such passionate love. SCISSORS, of all things!!
#9 of 14 Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yes - it's sad that I'm salivating over scissors!!
#10 of 14 Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

When you get them, you'll need a bib.
#11 of 14 Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 PM

I read this thread with interest as I am in the market for a new pair of scissors also. JoAnn's Fabrics carries the Gingher's scissors. I was in there today, and saw that they had them, and remembered that I had a 50% off coupon, so now I own the 8" dressmakers's knife edge shears for 18 dollars . Thanks for the recommendations!
#12 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Banned

Yay! Have you used them yet? My fiance is a fan of them to, even though he doesn't sew! It's funny, we were at Joann's a few days ago and he pointed out that almost every hone has the orange-hande Fiskers, and he opened and closed a pair as much as the packaging would allow, and said, "These things feel like crap," and totally started comparing them to my Ginghers in every way. I had him cut several layers of fabric with them when I first got them and the a singe layer with the Fiskers. If a guy can be a convert and he doesn't even sew...

AND you really won't have to replace them every few months. They'll pay themselves off so quickly, and since they cut so easily and so well, yur hands won't cramp!

Gingher should pay me for every time I recommend these things. Almost always someone ends up buying them.
#13 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Haven't used them yet, but I bought them because I need to cut through tough old kids clothes with heavy fabrics and lots of seams (see my thread below on making quilts from old kid's clothes that NO one has responded to!). I'll post my impressions after I try them out!
#14 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 09:11 AM

Joann's will have a sale on scissors starting Sunday. 50% off. Hancocks has scissors on right now for 50% off

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page