How do I take in a skirt? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-09-2004, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have two skirts that I love, but that are getting way too big on me. I tried washing them on hot and drying in hot, but they are still too big. I thought maybe I would tack the waist in, but I would rather have it look more professional. I don't do any sewing c;lothing at all....any one wanna walk mew through it?
#2 of 4 Old 02-09-2004, 07:54 PM

it depends on what the fit issues really are. If it's only about an inch or two I've been able to just take it in at the waist. But I've also made a seam down both sides from waist to hem.
#3 of 4 Old 02-09-2004, 11:26 PM

I would take the waistband off. Figure out where you want to take it up at. If it's only a little, you could do it at the back seam. But if it is a more significant amount you'll need to take it in at the sides. Then take the waistband off or at least take it loose across the back and around the sides if necessary. Take in the amount you need. Then, cut the waist band up the center back, and re-attach it seaming the waistband to match the center back seam. Turn the extra waistband in and angle it down just slightly so that it doesnt' show in the back and hand tack it down. (Trim it if there is an excessive amount). I am making the assumption here that the waist band is not elasticized. Does that make sense?
#4 of 4 Old 02-10-2004, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks

And, yeah, no elastic in the waistband They are cutesy plaid pleated skirts. So I am thinking I can just make another pleat with the fabric and then take in the waistband.

I have a really hard time conceptualizing how clothes go together. so your help is very much appreciated!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page