Question about wool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our local organic cloth supply store sells huge bags of natural wool for really cheap, I think $8 or $10. I wanted to get into needle felting, but I could never afford the supplies. These bags of wool are very affordable, though.

I was wondering if you can dye wool with Kool-aid like you can playsilks. Will wool take the color? How do you dye it cheaply?

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#2 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 PM

You can absolutely dye wool with Kool Aid!

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#3 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! And do I to it the same way as silk? I'm assuming I can't put the wool in hot water. I just let it sit in the cold dye?

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#4 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 PM

I soak the wool for 30 minutes in cool water- or until I remember that I'm soaking it! Then I mix the kool-aid- I use more for vibrant colors, less for pastels. Generally I dye yarn, not wool, but I'd use 4-5 packages per 100 grams wool or so.

I put the wet wool on a pie plate, then pour the kool-aid mixture over it- I usually mix the kool-aid with about 4 cups of water. Then I stick it in the microwave for a couple minutes. I let it sit for a couple minutes, then gently move it about a bit, just to make sure that the color is getting through. I microwave it again for a few minutes, then let it sit. I repeat this cycle several times, until the water in the pie plate is clear/cloudy. Sometimes it doesn't become clear, but all of the color is gone and it's sort of cloudy white.

I let it cool in the pie plate until room temp, then do a cool water rinse.

HTH.

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#5 of 5 Old 10-15-2009, 09:22 AM

I see a lot of help here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page