Tell me what you do to reuse your baby food jars - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-11-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a bunch of baby food jars and want to hear about favorite projects. Preschool crafts? Christmas gifts for your neighbors? Do they work for freezing food? etc, etc...

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 13 Old 10-11-2009, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have so many STILL

We use them for scooping and pouring activities
Tea lights?
Or just to store things like beads or other crafts

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#3 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 AM

This might be a little late, but I found a tutorial online today where someone painted the outside like a jack o' lantern and then put LCD lights inside to decorate for Halloween. She said she was going to do the same for the other holidays.

The other unique craft I found recently in a book at the library of kids Christmas crafts was to use two lids to make a photo holder ornament. I can't explain it too well, but it seemed pretty cool.
#4 of 13 Old 11-24-2009, 07:20 AM

We use our for all sorts of things. Storing small items like earrings, seasonings that I buy in bulk, water jars for painting and also I can keep my water color paint in them after I've added water. I feel like less paint is wasted that way. Etc, etc. I love baby food jars.

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#5 of 13 Old 11-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Not a crafty solution, but I used a lot when we went camping this summer. Instead of bring a big bottle of salad dressing, or ketchup, or whatever, I poured some into a jar. It really helped to save on space. You could do the same with toiletries as well.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#6 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Last year I used mine to make mini-bath salt jars. I glued a scrap of fabric to the lid and tied a ribbon around the top to pretty them up.

It would be really cute to give someone 4 or 5 mini bath salt jars, all with different scents, tucked in a basket.
#7 of 13 Old 11-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
if you google baby food jar crafts you get tons! here is the first one that poped up

http://www.makingfriends.com/readers_babyfoodjars.htm

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#8 of 13 Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 PM

I am using baby food jars for a few christmas gifts this year. I made some cute sewing kits with the larger ones- fill with notions and supplies: needles, thread wound around a card, buttons, measuring tape, small folding scissors- and then cover the lid with a "pin cushion" made from two circles of fabric stuffed and glued on, covered with narrow ribbon and a bow. These are really cute.
I am also making paints to fill the smallest (meat) jars for some children. These meat jars are also awesome for filling with dried ground peppers or dried herbs- there will be lots of these used for stuffing my mom and dad's stockings. You can also make your own tea mix from garden herbs and put these mixes in the jars.
My baby likes to play with the lids, so I plan to pick up some cardstock and print these to make him a matching game: http://www.scribd.com/doc/17427375/B...-Matching-Game

edit to add: i also use a lot of them in my sewing box to corral like items: buttons, empty bobbins, needles by type, safety pins by size, etc. and i definitely use a lot of them for storing beads. some day i would love to get dh to nail the lids to the bottom of a shelf for me so i can screw them on and off and they can't be pushed off the shelf.

Mama to 3 boys 

#9 of 13 Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM

my ds wants to make snowglobes and i'm wishing we had some baby food jars!
#10 of 13 Old 12-02-2009, 01:25 AM

I'm with doubledutch - do snowglobes! We did these when we were little. So cute!

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#11 of 13 Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 AM

wish i had some of those jars now lol!

what about making tea lights out of them? cut or tear up tissue paper into small squares, cover the jars with a coat of modge podge, have the kiddos put the tissue paper on, then cover and smooth with another coat of modge podge. my kiddos love to do this and they turn out really pretty! make great gifts as well!
#12 of 13 Old 12-04-2009, 12:00 AM

For anyone wanting baby food jars, just post on Freecycle. I did so and got a ton!
#13 of 13 Old 12-12-2009, 10:47 AM

I store my loose leaf tea in them, use them for odds n ends like random screws and tacks and stuff that floats around my junk drawer (i know you all have one of these!). Really useful for condiments as well when having an outing like the beach or as someone mentioned, camping.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page