Bias tape... Do you buy it or make your own? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always bought it.... dealing w/imperfect color matches or suffering through w/white.

This past weekend I used my 50% off coupon at Joann's and bought the make-it-yourself pull-along 'thingie' for making bias tape. Wow! It is sooo cool! It's time consuming, but what a great gadget! I just tried it for the first time w/2 small pieces of scrap fabric. It took a few tries to figure it out, and the end result isn't perfect, but it is so neat. Can't wait to practice more.

Does anyone else use these to make their own. Can you offer any tips or pointers... TIA!

Happy Sewing!

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#2 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 02:06 PM

The most important thing is to make sure you cut the fabric as neatly as you can - that way it comes out even when you are done. I use a rotary cutter.

I usually make my own b/c I always forget to buy it and the fabric store is kinda far away! I need to get one that makes wider bias tape though, its easier to sew - I end up just making that without using a tool and it comes out pretty well.
#3 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I mostly make my own because I'm a freak about matching colors I use my rotary cutter and giant plastic ruler to cut it and I generally just press it in half with the raw edges together, so I don't need a folder. If I needed double folded like for a quilt edge, I'd probably try store-bought first, and then consider getting a wide folder if I couldn't match the color decently enough.

love.gif Robin~ single, work-at-home sewmachine.gif momma to my homeschooling WonderBoys
                         blahblah.gif YoungMan (6/00) & bouncy.gif LittleBoy (6/04)

#4 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 PM

I have bought some and made some.

If I make it I cut strips like this ( I just cut the fabric like the pictures but don't do the maths!)

Then I pull it under a needle on my ironing board cover like this

The only time it didn't work was when I tried to make tape with a single knit and
#5 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 PM

I'm lazy. I buy it... the thought of making it reeks of effort to me! LOL! However, the thought of everything matching is quite intriguing, I'm going to have to look into making my own. Is it hard?

Mama to my 3 wild things.

#6 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcheeks View Post
I'm lazy. I buy it... the thought of making it reeks of effort to me! LOL! However, the thought of everything matching is quite intriguing, I'm going to have to look into making my own. Is it hard?
It was so easy! Just cut the fabric on the angle and push it wrong-side-up through the little gadget. Have the iron ready at the other end... press... and voila.... bias tape. Fold in half and iron again for double fold! So clever! I did have to sew the strips together first for a longer piece, but that wasn't hard once I figured out that you must place the pieces at a right angle to sew.

I now want one in every size - better start saving my %-off coupons! Look out Joann... Here I come!

#7 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post

If I make it I cut strips like this ( I just cut the fabric like the pictures but don't do the maths!)

The only time it didn't work was when I tried to make tape with a single knit and
Those are great links! I have them bookmarked.

#8 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

And thanks for the tip about using the rotary cutter. I will have to dig mine out. Bought it on clearance at Sears a few months ago, just haven't had a chance to open and use it yet - I didn't do too much sewing over the summer.

Thanks again...

#9 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 AM

Sometimes I buy it if I find a good deal on it, like at a thrift store or I make it if I can't find a good color match. I have the little dilly to make it, it's not hard. I've been contemplating getting that bias tape maker that Simplicity has.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#10 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
Sometimes I buy it if I find a good deal on it, like at a thrift store or I make it if I can't find a good color match. I have the little dilly to make it, it's not hard. I've been contemplating getting that bias tape maker that Simplicity has.
That machine looks so neat.... I'd like to find one of those at the thrift store!! It would be coming home w/me!!

#11 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Both, depending on color and what I'm using it for. When I make it, I cut the strips wide enough to fold over and stitch. Then fold over and top stitch or hand stitch the already folded edge. No having to use a gaget or burn my fingers ironing multiple folds in narrow strips. It's called doublefold binding or French binding.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#12 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post

Thanks for the links. That 2nd one is kinda brilliant.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#13 of 14 Old 10-19-2009, 12:16 AM

I do both. I make it myself for things that are really special, but use purchased tape for things that are...less special?

I have a bias tape maker, the clover kind, that is just the little metal tool. Honestly I find it works just as well to fold in half, press, then open and fold each side in to the center, and press again.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#14 of 14 Old 10-19-2009, 05:27 AM

It depends for me. If I need A LOT of bias tape (like for a quilt) I make it. If I need just a bit (like, under two yards) I buy it. I know that sounds backwards, but I find that cutting fabric on the bias is expensive because it uses so much fabric. I have far too many fabric scraps and need no more, thank you! LOL (I've been putting off my scrap quilt for YEARS!)

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page