Help help, I need quilt and math ... help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I really have a hard time with math so quilting is a bit beyond me but I really want to try this so here goes.

I want to make DS a twin size quilt, 65''x88''. I want the squares to all be the same size, 6"x6". I want to use 3 different types of fabric.

How much of each type of fabric do I need? DH and I thought maybe 1.5 yards but neither of us have any idea if we're calculating this right. Can anyone help?

If it helps, I am looking to make a quilt that is something like this only using 3 fabrics instead of 4 and in a twin size. I am so confused!!

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#2 of 4 Old 10-16-2009, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone else can probably come and tell you exactly what you'd need but me? I always draw these projects out. The biggest thing not to forget is that you'll need the standard 1/4" seam allowance around every one of those blocks, making each 6.5" square.

I draw to figure out how many squares I need in the design and then I draw how big the fabric comes from the store - because of course the fabric off the bolt is not the same dimension you need for the quilt! Unfortunately, there also seems to be a big gap in how wide fabric is so I always underestimate and then use the leftover width for either binding or to piece together for a pillow(case).

Good luck - it's a cute project!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#3 of 4 Old 10-17-2009, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Okay, I really have a hard time with math so quilting is a bit beyond me but I really want to try this so here goes.

I want to make DS a twin size quilt, 65''x88''. I want the squares to all be the same size, 6"x6". I want to use 3 different types of fabric.

How much of each type of fabric do I need? DH and I thought maybe 1.5 yards but neither of us have any idea if we're calculating this right. Can anyone help?

If it helps, I am looking to make a quilt that is something like this only using 3 fabrics instead of 4 and in a twin size. I am so confused!!
The math is simple division and multiplication. You divide the width of the quilt (65") by the side of the square (6"): 65 divided by 6 = 10 with a remainder of 5". Then do the same for the length of the quilt: 88 divided by 6 = 14 with a remainder of 4". So your quilt will have 14 rows of 10 squares each (total of 140 squares) and a border of 2 1/2" (half of the remaining 5") at the sides and 2" (half of the remaining 4") at the top and bottom. So cut 140 squares 6 1/2" x 6 1/2" (the 1/2" is for the 1/4" seam allowance). Then cut strips for the border 3" wide (2 1/2" plus seam allowance) by the length of the quilt for the 2 sides and 2 1/2" wide (2" plus seam allowance) for the top and bottom.

If you don't want a border on the quilt, increase the width by 1" to get a total of 11 squares across and the length by 2" to get 15 squares down--165 squares, cut 6 1/2" x 6 1/2"; finished 6" x 6". Making the finished dimensions of the quilt 66" x 90".

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#4 of 4 Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To find out how much fabric you will need, divide the # of squares by the # of fabrics. In this case 140 squares divided by 3 fabrics = 46 with a remainder of 2. Round up to 47 squares of each fabric. Quilt fabrics is 44" wide. Divide the 44" width of the fabric by the side of the cut square (6 1/2") = 6 squares plus 5" left over across the fabric. To determine how many rows you need to cut, divide 47 (# of squares needed of each fabric) by 6 (# of squares cut from 44" wide fabric) = 7 plus an extra 5 squares. Round up again to 8 and multiply by 6 1/5" (cut size of square) = 52". Round up to 1 1/2 yards of each fabric.

For the 66" x 90" quilt (165 squares or 55 squares of 3 fabrics) you need 1 7/8 yards of each fabaric.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page