How do I glue a postcard to a piece of tile?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is what I need to be able to do: I need to take a postcard (or something similar...thick piece of paper with a picture printed on it either that I'm buying from a store already made or that I'm printing myself from my printer at home (whichever will work), matte or glossy paper) and glue it flat to the glossy side of a tile (like just a square one you'd buy at Lowe's) and then put some kind of a sealer over the top of the picture so that the colors will not run if it gets wet. Is this possible?

I recently got a little crafty item at a fair, and it looks like the person took a postcard or maybe printed off a picture on photo paper and glued it to the tile. I'm not sure what they glued it to the tile with because it's very flat to the tile, no bubbling whatsoever, it's on there very well. The problem I've had when doing it myself is that even using a thick paper, it bubbled and I just used a bit of hot glue on the sides.

The item that I got at the craft fair does have one major problem that I would want to remedy if I can duplicate the design. The picture on the paper is starting to come off. I'm not sure what kind of paper it's on, but it's like a rubbery paint is coming off of the paper and that's the picture. Also, when I picked it up and my finger was a little damp with water, it totally smeared the picture! I would definitely want to find a way to seal the picture so that it is waterproof and does not happen. With my first attempt at making this, I tried using a decoupage glue and painting it over the top of the picture, but that ended up smearing the picture I used, so that will obviously not work. Plus it added to the bubbling of the picture which was obviously more wet then.

Also, if gluing the bottom of a piece of tile (which isn't completely flat) to some cardboard (like matchboxes), what would be the best glue to use so that it doesn't come apart? I want to be sure if I'm picking this up by the top piece of tile that the weight of the second piece of tile which is also glued to the cardboard boxes won't be too heavy for the glue to hold. I used hot glue, and I used a decent amount of it, but I don't think it's as indestructible as I want it to be right now...did I just not use enough hot glue or is there something better I could use?

Any ideas or solutions???

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Crafts/059.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Crafts/059.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...Crafts/062.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 03:35 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you need to do, as in I can't walk you step by step through the process, but I did find a couple websites to give you some help.

For gluing the paper...http://knol.google.com/k/amy-steinbe...w3k22ypsbtb/3#

For covering your completed project....http://www.luckysquirrel.com/info_se...html#whysealer

Hope that helps.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM

First of all imho the tiles are too thick, why do you have to use tiles? If you are using matchboxes, why not stick withcardboard, or a tin peice of wood?

I would use liquid nais, or some other kind of thick adehesive that would fill in the creviacises when glued together, and i would use a thick schalacking over the entire thing. I would also find something for the sides, unless you like the exposed matchbooks.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

I got some advice off another forum, and I ended up using Weldbond to glue the tiles to the matchboxes, and I used 3M 77 to glue the picture to the tile, and it turned out really well. I'm going to try sealing the picture with Micro Glaze and then with Mod Podge so that the picture doesn't run and is a little more waterproof.

tinyblackdot, I'm leaving the sides of the matchboxes exposed because then you have something to light the matches on.

User Tag List