Crafts for Christmas gifts that DD can make? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im looking for some cool gifts that my dd and i can make together for christmas. She s 3, but really quite artistic (she can draw people and spiders and flowers on her own) so i dont think anything advanced will be too hard for her, to atleast get involved in.

Any ideas? I did ornaments last year, and i wanted to do something diffrent this year. I was thinking frames for the grandparents with a cute pic in it, but for my aunts and uncles i need something that will be useful and fun. ANd maddie would enjoy helping with.

I have a serger and a sewing machine, but i am a total beginner sewer. I can knit or crotchet a little....like i can make a scarf LOL!

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe getting some christmas-y fabric and and sewing it up and adding rice inside and making little heating pads? She could help me fill it with rice and hand sew it closed?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#2 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 03:48 PM

How are your embroidery skills? Are you willing to learn? I love Soulemama's Family Portrait Book marks. I just did this for DH's birthday. DD drew a picture of him and I embroidered it onto a (much needed) apron. He loves it and DD is so proud

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
How are your embroidery skills? Are you willing to learn? I love Soulemama's Family Portrait Book marks. I just did this for DH's birthday. DD drew a picture of him and I embroidered it onto a (much needed) apron. He loves it and DD is so proud
OMG those are just SOOOOO cute! What a great idea! I LOVE it!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#4 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Yay! They are soo cute. The idea is so expandable as well. I'm picturing holiday napkins with kid drawn trees stitched on. Or grocery bags with cute pics of food...

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#5 of 9 Old 10-20-2009, 08:05 PM

If she likes to draw,you could ask her to draw on a piece of fabric(with fabric markers)that you could then sew onto something useful like a tote.I found drawing on the fabric and then sewing to the gift instead of straight on to the item sort of takes the pressure off.If she doesn't like the drawing...no big deal just get another piece of fabric.I also find it helpful to put the fabric in an embroidery hoop.

#6 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 AM

Bumping this!

I'm looking for something that DS and I can make together for the holidays. Last year we made a snowman handprint ornament that was cute, but too simple. I'd like him to participate more.

He draws really cute smilie faces. I'm thinking that I might be able to embroider the smilie face on things- here are some of my ideas:

Cloth napkins, apron, pillow, coasters, shirt...
#7 of 9 Old 11-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Im looking for some cool gifts that my dd and i can make together for christmas. She s 3, but really quite artistic (she can draw people and spiders and flowers on her own) so i dont think anything advanced will be too hard for her, to atleast get involved in.

Any ideas? I did ornaments last year, and i wanted to do something diffrent this year. I was thinking frames for the grandparents with a cute pic in it, but for my aunts and uncles i need something that will be useful and fun. ANd maddie would enjoy helping with.

I have a serger and a sewing machine, but i am a total beginner sewer. I can knit or crotchet a little....like i can make a scarf LOL!

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe getting some christmas-y fabric and and sewing it up and adding rice inside and making little heating pads? She could help me fill it with rice and hand sew it closed?

great idea!but i make a pic frame last year,so i decide to change a new items,i prepare to sew the Xmax stocking for the two babies,
and design the pics of myself.
of ,there is something for you to make a pic frame,
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeal...499&ru=2860007
#8 of 9 Old 11-15-2009, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Last year the children planted pots of bulbs. We got plain white pots form IKEA and I had intended to get some ceramic pens for the kids to decorate them but in the end we left them plain.

This year I think we might plant some pots of herbs.

We've also done decorated candles, we got some candle paint pens from the craft store and painted cheep white candles. I've also found these instructions for using acrylic paints
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2079491_pa...dles.html?cr=1
#9 of 9 Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
One year we took a bunch of flour sack towels and used fabric paint & dd's hands/feet to make a handprint rudolf or a handprint tree on them.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page