Making Wooden Toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-26-2009, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Crafty Ones,

I have long wanted to become a wooden toy maker of sorts, and am finally feeling like the time is right (we just moved into a new house with the perfect basement room for a workshop).

What tools and equipment would you recommend for someone just getting started? I figure I will need some sort of a saw, and maybe a drill press?

Thanks for any advice!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#2 of 3 Old 10-31-2009, 04:47 PM

I am not an expert, but I saw that you haven't had any responses. There are tons of posts about wooden toy making on this board, so you'll get better info than I can give you just by doing a search.

What you need depends on the kind of wooden toys you want to make.

For Holztiger/Ostheimer type wooden figures, check out this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=562923. It's full of information and links to pics of really inspirational fos. My basic tools are a scroll saw, sandpaper, and a dremel. I also have a wood burner/engraver that I haven't done anything with yet. Some kind of paper and a spray adhesive are good for drawing a pattern, then temporarily sticking it to your wood. You can then cut through the paper pattern and peel it off when you're finished cutting.

If you want to make thicker toys, like blocks or stacking toys, I think you'll need a different saw. A band saw, maybe? A scroll saw is best at intricate cuts on thin wood. I can cut a 1" thick board (which is actually 3/4"), but I don't think I can use much thicker wood.

Hths!
#3 of 3 Old 11-09-2009, 02:14 AM

It depends on what you want to make. Scroll saws are great for animals. A miter saw and table saw are useful for making dollhouses. Bandsaws are handy for making cars. Also for making cars a drill press is practically a must (at least if you are like me and have trouble drilling in a straight line).

But I can't stress enough: buy your tools used!!!! Go on craigslist, there are tons of used power tools for sale that have barely been used.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page