putting what I have to best use-fitted dipes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have always used prefolds, PUL covers with my first but with my second I have made her all wool covers (recycled sweaters and knitting) and have just been using a snappi with the prefolds...
now the pf are diapering their 4th baby and they are starting to fall apart, plus she is at that age where she twists, kicks and turns the whole diaper change and it is almost impossible to get a simple prefold on her with a snappi...
I would like to switch to fitteds, but there is no way I can even consider throwing down the money to purchase them at the price they go for...
soooo, I want to attempt to make my own...
this is what I have:
-prefolds in pretty bad shape
-lots of flannel receiving blankets
-jersey cotton sheet with hole in it
-250 thread count cotton sheet with hole in it
-plenty of elastic
-sewing machine

what I want is to make fitted diapers that can be attached with a snappi and later maybe I can pay someone to add snaps.
my questions are:
-What would be the best way to use these materials for comfort, absorbency and durability? What should be next to the skin, what should be on the outside?
-Can I make the prefolds into the absorbent inner part even though they are worn out?
-If I use the prefolds as the absorbent layer, will they wash well and stay odorless?
-Would it be better to make pocket fitteds and just stuff with the prefolds each time (the advantage over what I'm doing now being that they will be easier to get on and something smoother will be on her skin)?
-Will these things work to make a fitted period?

Sorry to be long winded, I am very new at sewing and feel very unsure of the best way to do this....
All I know is that the current system is not working and I am unwilling to use disposables.
TIA
#2 of 6 Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 PM

Go to diaperswappers.com. Awesome forum.

Not only could you find some used pocket dipes (bum genius or fuzzi bunz) to stuff with the old pre-folds, you will find some very savvy mamas that can help you with patterns and such to make your own. As well as suggestions for how to use the materials you have.

HTH!
#3 of 6 Old 10-28-2009, 01:36 AM

http://diaperdivas.proboards.com/index.cgi There's even a big stickie of free diaper patterns and tutorials on the site, that's where I get all my sewing ideas from.

Avoid Diaperswappers unless you only use Firefox with noscript, ABP, and all the other bells and whistles. And then you still want to use anti-malware software on a regular basis, plus keep an anti-virus going with active scan.

What you have sounds good for a start. Thing is with snappis, they don't grasp on to all fabric, flannel is touch and go with them, and woven type fabrics are a total no-go. I know they do attach well to terry cloth, and of course prefold fabric.

The Rita's rump pocket calls for pins, and I personally like aplix for my closures. I have arthritis in my hands, and a mobile/stubborn 17 month old, so aplix goes on the quickest. You can also buy a snap pliers rather than a snap press for about $30, if you want the yahoo group I know of that is a reputable seller, I can give you the link.

For the worn out prefolds, I would personally use them as long as I could as pocket fitted stuffings. I'd be worried about them falling apart in the diaper if you use them as an inner. The cotton sheet would be great for use for inner layers.
#4 of 6 Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 AM

Before I was able to buy new fabrics, I used upcycled fabrics ALL the time. Since I was going back and forth with each child, I would inevidably give them all away, but they worked fine through most of one child's diapering time. They weren't so much of an investment and so the sacrifice was just time. I even used upcycled fleece to make all in ones.

So, this is what I did, used the best fabrics for the outer layers. It looks like all the flannel receiving blankets would work great. Then, cut up and use all the not so great fabrics for the hidden soaker pad. So, you need two whole bodies for the outer, and how many ever layers you want for the hidden middle part. Sort of like the hidden layer in a PF, but not from front to back, a few inches in.

Make the tabs longer in the back then the front. Zigzag the elastic through the full top layer at the back and legs, or you can do casings. Depends on your preference. If the outer layers are really thin, then you may want to do a 3rd full layer that may not be as pretty as the outer two.

If you are going to turn and topstitch, be sure to make your pattern with a seam allowance. You didn't mention a serger, but they can be really quick to get diapers sewn together.

Since you have all those prefolds, you can use that one prefitted tutorial that shows cutting out the sides just a few inches from the back to the front. Then, take those and get some extra tabs from those strips and attach to the tabs on the PF still attached. Add elastic to that in the back and sides. Then, cover both sides with your flannel blankets. You may or may not want the rest of the cut outs for the middle soaker. Depends on the thickness. If you T&T, then you will want to cut your flannel an inch bigger all the way around your PF, and find a way to attach that PF to one of your flannel layers. Put right sides together, stitch leaving a hole, and turn right side out. Slip stitch the hole closed, and voila! A fitted diaper.

You can also use those other supplies for lay in soaker pads for nighttime, or if you have a heavy soaker. Either do a tight zigzag around, or T&T, or serge.

I have never had a problem with "inferior" upcycled fabrics for diapers that are for only one baby, maybe two.

HTH, Kymberli
#5 of 6 Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM

I used the Rita Rump Pocket pattern and sewed my own out of flannel receiving blankets, old flannel sheets, etc. Instead of inserting the prefolds into the pocket, I just trifold and lay them in as the soaker. This means the prefold is next to the skin, and not smooth or furry, but it works and I haven't received any complaints. The prefolds wash just as well as when you use them normally. When I have snappi-able material (like long john type) I use snappis. Otherwise I use pins (which are cheaper and safer than Snappis IMO).
#6 of 6 Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM

You can use loads of recycled materials for diapers. I have a whole bag of clothes waiting to be made into diapers.

The one pattern I've bought for recycled dipes calls for a microfibre next to the skin, absorbant material in the middle and then anything from tshirt material to denim on the outside. You could use your old prefolds for the inner bits.

I'm not necessarily planning on using microflece because I don't have any. I may use tshirt material.

They use recycled ribknit tshirts for binding.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page