Am I crazy to attempt this? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a new knitter. I mean, I can cast on and do garter stitch, but that is about all I've ever been decent at.

I just bought the little turtle knits ribby wrap pattern to make diaper covers for the new baby in January. I'm having a bit of a time getting past the second or 3rd row.

It starts out as 1 by 1 ribbing and requires increasing and decreasing. Should I really stick to something more simple to start with?

I can crochet quite well, but seem to be having a mental block about knitting.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 11-03-2009, 02:42 PM

I found that I really started to enjoy knitting once I started more challenging projects. Scarves and washcloths just can't keep my attention. I would say go for it. If you come to a stitch you don't know just go to knittinghelp.com. They have instructional videos that are very helpful. You may have to start over a few times to start but I think you will enjoy yourself once you get the hang of it.

Very cute pattern by the way - I'm thinking of buying it myself.

Kristen married to DH Brad, mama to Isaiah Abraham (born on Valentine's Day 2010) and expecting a new little one in February 2012!

#3 of 16 Old 11-03-2009, 02:53 PM

Knittinghelp.com has really helped me a lot when I have attempted more difficult patterns. Good luck!

Julie Married to my sweetheart
Mama to DD (8) DS (7) & DS (1)

#4 of 16 Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM

go for it.
#5 of 16 Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

They knit up really cute! My MIL made one for me without the gussets, I need to do that since she doesn't crochet.

I think I'm going to try it when my DD is at preschool tomorrow. I tried earlier but kept getting distracted by her questions.

I'm crocheting a soaker now in the meantime cause I have the itch to create.

#6 of 16 Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 PM

tons of mamashave used that wrap as a first project I promise, you can do it! If you get stuck, you can post here, but please know that you can always email me directly with any questions as well and I'll try to help out!
#7 of 16 Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 PM

when i was first figuring out the knitting thing (almost two years ago! ) whenever i came across something new that looked hard i made a dishcloth using that technique, because no dishcloth is screwed up to the point of unusability, right? so i learned my increases, decreases, knitting in the round, all that using cheap dishcloth cotton for 8 or so inches. it's quick and an easy way to learn, i believe.
#8 of 16 Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM

You can do it. Honest. T's patterns walk you through the stuff you need to know and in the end, even if it isn't perfect it's going on a baby's bottom and nobody else ever needs to see it.

At this point, I'm now going to hide because someone is undoubtedly going to throw a pair of longies at me for blaspheming

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 16 Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josybear View Post
when i was first figuring out the knitting thing (almost two years ago! ) whenever i came across something new that looked hard i made a dishcloth using that technique, because no dishcloth is screwed up to the point of unusability, right? so i learned my increases, decreases, knitting in the round, all that using cheap dishcloth cotton for 8 or so inches. it's quick and an easy way to learn, i believe.

Hey now that is a great idea! I'll try that.

So my MIL made a nb one and a small one. The newborn cover is so incredibly tiny...is it really supposed to be that small? Have I forgotten how small newborns are? Her gauge is just about right on, if not a bit looser.

#10 of 16 Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSimplicity View Post
I found that I really started to enjoy knitting once I started more challenging projects. Scarves and washcloths just can't keep my attention. I would say go for it. If you come to a stitch you don't know just go to knittinghelp.com. They have instructional videos that are very helpful. You may have to start over a few times to start but I think you will enjoy yourself once you get the hang of it.
This!

You can do it!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#11 of 16 Old 11-14-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I'm slow and I've ripped it out a couple of times because I got distracted and went off on the pattern, but I've finished the first ribbing area. I'm now going for the first increase row and I'm a bit intimidated by knitting front and back, but I've been watching videos and they are an awesome help.

I'm so excited to see how it turns out.

#12 of 16 Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
post pics when you have it finished! Thanks for sharing the link too!

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#13 of 16 Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 PM

I learned to knit with Theresa's soaker pattern Not that one, but the other. I think soakers are a perfect first thing to knit. You learn way more technique than for just a scarf.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#14 of 16 Old 11-29-2009, 02:06 PM

I love the dishcloth idea and have done it a few times while I was experimenting with knitting and purling and switching back and forth to make different "patterns". Never thought to do it with the other knitting techniques I hope to learn. Thanks for the idea!

A month ago all I could do was washcloths and now I have completed these 2 different hats:

http://www.littleturtleknits.com/sto...roducts_id=192

http://alison.knitsmiths.us/pattern_beginners_hat.html

Hope to learn increasing and knitting front to back soon. The best way is just to do it, right?

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)
#15 of 16 Old 12-01-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Update! I did it I did it!!

And I'm hooked. I've also bought the picky pants pattern and I'm waiting to get some DPNs so I can do legs. I've also knit a coffee cup cozy for my daughters preschool teacher. This is really exciting! For the longest time I said "nope, can't knit" now I can do it!

I need to get pictures of them, but I still need to find or make buttons.

#16 of 16 Old 12-11-2009, 12:23 AM

That's awesome, Caittune. It's always fantastic to finish a piece, especially the early ones. And it's nice when it clicks finally. Congrats on learning!

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page