Best finish for teethers? - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > Best finish for teethers?
myfairbabies's Avatar myfairbabies 07:53 PM 11-04-2009
I haven't seen this exact issue addressed, it seems that most of the toys are for older children. My dd is almost 5 mo so everything goes into the mouth. I was thinking of doing the beeswax/jojoba oil finish, but is it safe for her if she's chewing on it all the time? Is there a better one? Thanks!

E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 01:37 AM 11-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfairbabies View Post
I haven't seen this exact issue addressed, it seems that most of the toys are for older children. My dd is almost 5 mo so everything goes into the mouth. I was thinking of doing the beeswax/jojoba oil finish, but is it safe for her if she's chewing on it all the time? Is there a better one? Thanks!

What are you using it on? Is it for wood and if so, what Kind of wood?

I would leave it plain or just rub a bit of coconut oil on wood. Some people are highly allergic to bees and bee products. I have never heard of anyone mention a coconut oil allergy, but you never know. I'm uber cautious when It comes to baby's safety.
myfairbabies's Avatar myfairbabies 01:49 AM 11-06-2009
We're making them out of oak.
E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 08:06 PM 11-06-2009
Oak is a hardwood. I think a coat of vegetable oil would be plenty to protect it.
myfairbabies's Avatar myfairbabies 09:21 PM 11-06-2009
Thanks, and it wont go rancid? will it need it again?
E.V. Lowi's Avatar E.V. Lowi 10:58 PM 11-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfairbabies View Post
Thanks, and it wont go rancid? will it need it again?
Many people use vegetable oil on cutting boards and wooden bowls. I use a light coating of olive oil on mine and I wash them by hand regularly,(no long time soaking or you get cracks!) I haven't had an issue with the oil becoming rancid. I think the coconut oil is even more resistant to going rancid. Some people like to use mineral oil because it doesn't get rancid but I steer clear of petroleum products around food stuffs or for use on or in my body. Maybe someone else will post more suggestions for you.
Up