Mothering Forum banner

knitting in the round question

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  BaBaBa 
#1 ·
so i've never knit in the round before and i have a question. if you want a garter stitch, do you just mark the starting point and switch to purl when you make it around to that point?

#4 ·
I am knitting in the round. I am trying to do a stockinette stitch which I realize means continuous knitting BUT my problem is that the bumpy side is on the outside and the smooth side is on the inside of my hat. How can a fix this without have to purl continuously?

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
I am knitting in the round. I am trying to do a stockinette stitch which I realize means continuous knitting BUT my problem is that the bumpy side is on the outside and the smooth side is on the inside of my hat. How can a fix this without have to purl continuously?
flip it inside out

#7 ·
Quote:

I don't understand. You mean take it off the needles flip it and put it back on? It's not as simple as flipping the hat inside out when its done because it already has a brim on it.
I am wondering if you are purling all the while, instead of knitting?

#8 ·
Quote:

I don't understand. You mean take it off the needles flip it and put it back on? It's not as simple as flipping the hat inside out when its done because it already has a brim on it.
No, you don't need to take it off the needles. I'm not sure if I can explain it, but if you're holding your needles with your work hanging down off of them, push the part you've already knitted back up through the needles. You should see knit stitches.

Clear as mud?

#9 ·
When you are knitting in the round, are the needles closest to your body, or is the circle closest to your body?

If the needles are closest to you, the 'public' side should be facing out.
If the circle is closest to you, the 'wrong' side will be facing out, and you will be knitting from the inside of the circle.
In that case, you should be able to flip the needles towards your body, like you are turning it upside down. Then needles will be facing you, and the knitting will be on top of the needles, growing up instead of down. Push the work down, thru the circle. Now, it will be growing down from the needles, the public side will be facing out and you will be knitting close to your body again.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
When you are knitting in the round, are the needles closest to your body, or is the circle closest to your body?

If the needles are closest to you, the 'public' side should be facing out.
If the circle is closest to you, the 'wrong' side will be facing out, and you will be knitting from the inside of the circle.
In that case, you should be able to flip the needles towards your body, like you are turning it upside down. Then needles will be facing you, and the knitting will be on top of the needles, growing up instead of down. Push the work down, thru the circle. Now, it will be growing down from the needles, the public side will be facing out and you will be knitting close to your body again.
the circle is closest to my body but the 'right' side is facing out?!?!

#14 ·
Quote:

the circle is closest to my body but the 'right' side is facing out?!?!
When you're knitting on circular needles, the needles should be closest to you and the cables farther away. If you've been doing it the other way, with the needles on the far side of the cables, than that would be your problem.

You can flip the work by pushing it up through the middle of the cable circle sort of like turning a sleeve right side out. You will have a little jag in your knitting because you will be changing direction but it shouldn't show.

Or you could rip it all back and start over making sure that the needles are closest to you when you start this time.

#15 ·
Ok! My problem has been that I've been knitting with the cable closest to me instead of the needles. I'll remember that if I'm ever koo koo enough to attempt this again.
Despite the clear instructions you've given me to fix it I just can't seem to fix it. It seems the only way I can have stockinette on the outside is to purl every row. Bleh! Well, I suppose it's good practice.
Maybe when I slip it on to the double pointed needles to finish it I can fix it then?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.