Help! I'm addicted to socks! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never thought that this would happen to me, because I thought that socks were too complicated for me to try. But, now I have tried them- and I'm addicted. I whipped out a pair of socks in two days (size 11 needles, chunky wool yarn) and I have another one almost finished on the needles (size 4 needles, sport weight yarn).

I made the mistake yesterday of letting my husband try on the sock I was knitting (for input) and now he's addicted to hand-knit socks too! This is a tragedy. I'm loving knitting them and now I have to do it! You should have seen his face when I told him (and my brother's face when I had him test out a sock) that I really wasn't planning on knitting him any socks (told my brother the same thing). The socks in question (on both instances) were for my dad. But, now I have to knit another couple pairs of socks for those boys. What am I going to do?

Knit away! Who doesn't want a reason to buy more yarn and knit more stuff? I just hope that my mom will forgive me if I don't get her afghan done in time for Christmas. "Sorry, mom, I was knitting socks instead."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 11:45 PM

my DH did not see the allure of handknit socks until I finally sucked it up and knit him a pair. He is hopelessly addicted- but loves them out of worsted weight wool- awesome other than the fact that he destroys them in absolutley no time at all- so all that work for not very long.... Just watch your yarn... I am going to try double stranding knitpicks stroll sport.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 11-18-2009, 05:10 AM

So, I am so scared to knit socks. I'm... yeah, just terrified. What should I know and is there a good beginner's pattern I should try first?

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM

I'm so with you! I did a couple pairs of tube style socks and just finished my first heeled pair and I LOVE IT! Seriously, all I can think about is going and buying more sock yarn. My F-I-L loves knit socks and the heeled pair I just finished are for him for xmas using a similar pattern to the one his mom use to use to make him socks every xmas...So excited for him to open them xmas!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I had a woman in my church that knits a lot of socks walk me through my first pattern. She photocopied a pattern for me and then answered my questions when I got stuck. She even came over during the scary heel turning part. That's the way that I learn best- side by side.

If you're a visual learner, then I would suggest the book, "Teach yourself visually to knit socks." I got it from my library.

I would also type in "simple/basic socks" into Ravelry and see what you get.

For me, the hardest part about a sock was not knowing how one went together. I could look at a picture and follow directions, but because I didn't know what part of my knitting corisponded (sp?) to which part on the picture. Here's a source from the internet to teach you.

I would say (as others have said to me) that if you know how to cast on and cast off and know how to knit in the round than you can knit socks. Other's would often tell me that a sock is easy except the heel and the toe (which wasn't very comforting). But, now that I know how to do those two things, it's a lot easier.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
So, I am so scared to knit socks. I'm... yeah, just terrified. What should I know and is there a good beginner's pattern I should try first?
This article taught me to knit socks.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/FEATsocks101.html

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I am a total wuss about knitting socks. I'm too afraid to do it because it looks hard.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yep, me too. I want to, but just a bit intimidated. I have some lovely sock yarn I bought off Etsy and it's sitting on the table by the door, taunting me and making me feel guilty for ignoring it for 5 months.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I totally understand how you feel- but it's not really that bad.

Do it in baby steps. Baby step- cast on the correct number of stitches. Baby step- join in the round. Baby step- knit the first round. Then, knit the next round. And, the next one- for like five inches. Then, baby step through the next part. And, the next one. Before you know it, you'll have a sock!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 PM

sounds fun. but I'm still learning how to knit;so I'm not ready for socks quite yet

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 11-19-2009, 01:00 AM

PP, I'm making dh a pair for Christmas. I've been warned by some seasoned knitters that I will have to make many more for him after he tries a knitted pair. I've made two pair for myself (anklets are so quick!) and I doubt I'll touch my storebought socks this winter.

Quote:
A) use an online sock generator and make a pair of basic toddler/children's size socks. It takes you through all the steps w/o having a bunch of knitting in between. Plus, if for some reason you have to frog you're only frogging an hour or two of work instead of 8.
B)Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd. It has basic socks in different gauges so you just find the yarn and needles you like, make a gauge swatch and then bam! you're making a sock.
C) Lots of people on Rav have suggested Silver's Sock Class. I looked at it a long time ago, there were a lot of step by step instructions/w photos. It is free.
D)It is a lot easier than it looks. Don't be intimidated. just jump in there w/ both (soon to not be) bare feet!

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
Old 11-19-2009, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So... what is a good type of yarn that will last? All the yarn I have knitted socks with is worsted. Although I think DP wore through his because he wore them constantly!

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 AM

a sock tutorial: http://584blog.blogspot.com/2009/01/...struction.html

laggie: try adding thick-ish polyester sewing thread when you're knitting the heel, as well as possibly the body & toe of the sock. just hold the thread doubled with the yarn as you knit, it adds a lot of strength. also try different yarns, since everything wears differently. the noro sock yarn i've used showed wear almost right away while the lorna's laces has help up really well. read reviews on ravelry.

yay sock knitting!

User Tag List