Mothering Forum banner

yarn balls won't felt

6K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Peace+Hope 
#1 ·
I'm making wool dryer balls. I wound my ball, put it in the panty hose and threw it in the washer/dryer, and they are not felting. I washed on hot, and the yarn was 100% wool...

what am I missing?

#3 ·
I think I had to run the washer at least 4 times for the dryer balls. My washer is 2-4 times for knitted stuff. Sometimes I add a stock pot of boiling water to the washer too. Now that I have wool dryer balls I add them when felting something knitted. Since you don't have those yet, ONE tennis ball in the washer will speed up the process.

#6 ·
front loaders are very gentle, it takes mine 5-6 washes, maybe even more, to felt! I would just run them with your laundry for a week or so. Eventually... And if for some reason they never seem to felt (superwash maybe?), then you can just wrap the outside with feltable wool and you'll have a great ball still.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace+Hope View Post
i'm about to try this and worried my front loader washer might not have enough water to work well.

CAN you just boil the balls as effectively?
It's not just the heat, it's the agitation. When you wet felt by hand, it takes a fair amount of rubbing the wool to get it to felt. Just boiling it would achieve the shrink, but not the felting.

OP, are you using a top loader or a front loader? Is there anything else in the wash with the yarn balls to help felt them? I would just toss them in, still in the pantyhose, everytime you wash a load on hot until they're felted -- it'll probably take 4-8 loads, depending on how hot your water is, the kind of wool, what else you have in there, type of washer, etc. Front loaders take way longer than top loaders.

#9 ·
I'm interested in making wool dryer balls too. It's good to know you have to wash them multiple times in order to felt them. I could see myself posting the same thing and worrying! I also didn't know to watch out for washable wool.

The tutorial I read said to make a small inner ball and felt it, then wind more wool yarn around that and felt again.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper44 View Post
The tutorial I read said to make a small inner ball and felt it, then wind more wool yarn around that and felt again.
i saw that too. i thought it was just cosmetic, since it didn't say otherwise. do you think it's an important part of the felting process?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.