how often? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How often do yo change your needle on your sewing machine? I once remember someone telling me that she changed hers after each project, but that seems a little much to me. I just replaced my needle and made a nightgown for a 2yo out of flannel. Is it time to replace it again?

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-28-2009, 07:47 PM

I wouldn't just yet

Ordinarily I probably change a needle every other project or so which is a big change for me from changing it once a year!!!!

Fleece dulls needles really badly so I do change the needle more often if I am sewing that a lot.

My machine is a vintage singer which takes an odd sized needle. The only place I could find them sold them in boxes of 200 and it seems really easy to just get a new one out when you still have another 199.
#3 of 8 Old 11-28-2009, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmm.... I've only ever changed it when it broke. Maybe I'll have to reassess that strategy.

Doula mama to dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08) and expecting (Apr '17)

#4 of 8 Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 PM

I change mine before every project, but that's usually because the fabric I'm using calls for a different type of needle(i.e. ballpoint for knits, or a more heavy duty needle for denim, etc.). I will reuse needles for mending, from projects that didn't require much sewing. Another reason I like to use a new needle is that when I'm making something time consuming I want it to turn out to the best of my ability, and using a new needle, specific to that project, is just part of that.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#5 of 8 Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Hmmm.... I've only ever changed it when it broke. Maybe I'll have to reassess that strategy.
Mee too, but I break my needles on a frequent and regular basis, so I guess I'm good!

Arizona backwards is still Arizona! It's a palomino!
#6 of 8 Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 AM

i replace my needles about every 10 hours of sewing. i reuse them when i make my once a year stationary. sewing cardstock is hilariously fun, but totally wasteful to use new needles on as i have to change them out every hour or so.
#7 of 8 Old 12-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

And I sew a lot.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#8 of 8 Old 12-12-2009, 10:43 AM

I finally learned this year (after about 4 years of sewing) that it does make a big difference to change the needles regularly. So I do now. I can't say exactly how often, but I can say it def. has to do with the difference in fabric I'm using and such. I also try to actually use the correct needle now too. I think it's made a big difference in my sewing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
business merger means discounts for a limited time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page