how do you sew fleece? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
excuse me for being an idiot, but i am making a mess.
i bought a remnant of some football patterned fleece to make a pillow for dh and hats for him and both our ds's. but i dont know how to sew fleece, and it is slipping too quickly under the foot and making a big mess with the thread. i bought some ball point needles, will that help? or what else do i need to know about sewing on fleece? please and thank you!

Mama to 3 boys 

#2 of 3 Old 11-28-2009, 11:14 PM

If it is making a mess with the thread underneath the fabric, you need to tighten your tension a bit. Tightening the tension stops too much thread going down to the underside and not locking properly with the bobbin thread.

Cut off a bit of fabric to mess about with so that you don't get all mad at messing up what you are sewing.

Once you have the tension sorted, go very slowly with a long-ish and very slightly zig-zag stitch and see how that looks.

I sew fleece with an ordinary needle with no trouble but a ballpoint can't hurt.
#3 of 3 Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Also check with some scraps of other fabric you've sewn in the past to make sure it's the fleece that's the problem. If it is I've seen people suggest laying a strip of tissue paper over (and under) the slippery fabric to help it feed correctly. Then you tear the tissue away after you're done stitching. I haven't personally tried this though.

Also if you've recently gotten new bobbins, I had similar issues when I bought generic bobbins that almost, but not quite, fit my machine.

Good luck!

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page