butterfly mobile? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
crl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I found these lovely butterfly mobiles on etsy for $48 plus shipping: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=32400684 And I started thinking maybe I could make one myself.

I found the punches online for the butterfly shape ( http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Shapers-.../dp/B000MARKK6 ) and I have access to art and craft stores with good cardstock selections. I think I'd end up breaking even on cost by the time I bought the supplies and the punch (which will cost about $16 if I order it online), but I'd be able to see the papers and choose them in person with my color swatches in hand. And it seems like it would be fairly simple to do?

But there are a couple of things I'm not sure about and was hoping someone craftier than I could chime in. I'll need to poke a tiny hole in the middle of each butterfly and then use a bead and fishing line to tie it to a hoop or something, right? What could I use to poke that hole neatly?

If I use a metal or wood hoop, how do I keep the butterflies spaced out? Will the fishing line just slip around on the hoop? Or what about using a branch--we have plenty of woods nearby and I could search for an artistic branch to tie the butterflies on?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM

Not a crafter... but go for it momma.

Maybe try a large needle for the small hole? There's always a traditional hole punch but that may be too big.

I like the idea of a bead--pretty.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#3 of 5 Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
crl

Thanks for the encouragement! I think a needle would work. I could thread it with the fishing line and use it to go through the bead too. . . .

Catherine
#4 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 AM

i think using a branch sounds like a beautiful idea!!

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#5 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter
crl

Thanks! I'm thinking that I will use a branch. It's a good excuse to get some exercise, it'll be free and I think it will be really pretty.

Catherine

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page