Anybody out there make rugs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2002, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Last fall I started making rag rugs with different techniques (braiding and crocheting). I hope to try felted wool applique rugs this winter. This is a really fun craft and easier to do with a little one around than my old stand-by quilting -- less dangerous tools out! I also love having a rug that does not pollute my indoor air or exploit children. However, I have not met too many other rag rug makers -- anybody out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2002, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been wanting to learn how to do this for a long time. Can you recommend any books/resources/websites? Did you take a class? What tools do you need? I would love to hear more,

jeanie
Old 04-28-2002, 07:36 PM

I have made small rugs from felted wool, but you could make any size.

Alison
Old 04-28-2002, 07:47 PM

I hook wool rugs too! I use wool, burlap, a hook and a small hoop. The materials are easy to find on the internet, www.braidaid.com, at smaller craft stores (at least in New England), or you can go the Salvation Army to find old wool suits to cut-up.

Each small rug has taken me a significant amount of time to complete. I like to look at it as a relaxation technique. Since I am self "taught" I would love any pointers that anyone may have.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:27 AM

this has interested me for awhile but I haven't tried it yet..is it very hard???

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 04-29-2002, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh! How nice to meet you all! I found making rugs to be both harder and easier than I thought. I fell in love with the look of braided rugs but the lacing I found hard to get tight enough. I crocheted a rug out of "t-shirt yarn" and that was remarkably easy and quick and sturdy (and even washable). Old methods of rug-making include crochet and knitting as well as hooking, braiding and applique. I found all that I know from books in the library. I discovered that while many rug makers only use wool fabric, all types of fabric were traditionally used (whatever was on hand). I am currently planning a braided rug out of old jeans and chinos. Any fabric can be ripped into strips and braided or crocheted. I braided an experimental bathmat out of old, worn towels. I found that I like to experiment with different materials. One book I read encouraged this. She even used gum wrappers to create a small metallic patch in a hooked rug. Other writers emphasis sticking only to the tried and true wool fabric. My favorite material is really the t-shirt yarn because it is easy and works up so fast. If anybody is interested, I might be able to describe it. As you can tell, I really enjoy this craft!
Old 05-08-2002, 03:14 PM

I have always been interested in rug making and would love to hear about making a braided rug...is it extremely hard?? I have lots of jeans that I have been saving for this purpose...I am really glad you brought this up...

Are hooked rugs or braided rugs harder to make???

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 05-08-2002, 06:28 PM

I'd like to make a rag rug for Saffron's room. I just need to get my act together to get a book out. I've seen some beautiful scandinavian rag rugs in books.

I crochet bags out of a type of gardening string we get here which is made of T-shirt material. You get it all different colours but it comes to the garden centres in random colours so it's pot luck what you find. I s'pose I could always use that coz then I'd be able to throw it in the wash.

How do you do the braiding method ?
Old 05-09-2002, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't tried hooking (yet) but I found braiding to be quite easy. It has a wonderful rhythm to the process once you get going. I don't think I could describe the proces very well. A book is the best bet or seeing someone else doing it would be even better. Basically, you cut the fabric into strips, fold the edges to the middle then fold at the middle so you have no raw edges. I sewed my strips shut but you can also use a Braid-aid that automatically folds them as you braid. Then you arrange three strips in a "T" shape and begin to braid, just like braiding hair. The braid gets coiled around itself and laced together using a special lacing needle and a very heavy duty lacing thread. The rug is reversible and very durable. The colors in the braid lead to interesting designs. I found it very relaxing to do and my dd loved to watch and is very proud of the rugs Mama makes. Making a braided rug was actually quite easy, but the learning process from a book was challenging. It helped when I found three different books on braiding, because each one seemed to leave out something important!

User Tag List