Playmat-Drawstring bag. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just bundling up some of my sons toys with play silks to entertain him during our holiday travel and started thinking about roll up play mats and such.

I really liked the idea of this:

Sto and Go but the price was outrageous so I searched and found this tutorial online.

I'm thinking about making a bunch of these with different themes for my son.

1) Road fabric paired with cars
2) Farm scene with farm animals
3) An ocean one with fish and marine life figures
4) Dinosaurs?
5) Terrain map/camo with army figures
6) Legos

I was thinking this would be a super easy and cheap last minute gift for Christmas if you have any kids you still have to buy for. So easy to pair with some toob animals or matchbox cars.

PS - Sorry if this has been posted recently, but I don't normally frequent this forum. Also I would love a link to similar projects if anyone has any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM

Here's one a mama here made. She posted it in the general Arts and Crafts forum. http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1168282
I think all your ideas for different ones are great! Good luck. Hope you'll post your FO's!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#3 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM

My DH had one of these drawstring bags for his legos as a kid. It was much bigger than the examples here.
THis January I am going to make one for my son. He will be playing on it though, and I'm a little concerned about getting his feet tangled in the string, so I am not sure what to do. I don't have a grommet maker.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#4 of 7 Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Take two pieces of circle shaped fabric wrong sides together stitch all aroung leave a spot open for turning, turn it back right side out, stitch back around again like you would making a casing for elastic so basic turn and topstitch. Then run your pull string through make sure you leave it a little long and maybe put some toggles on it so it would stay closed and not slip back open when closed. Your string would be enclosed so no tripping, I haven't tried it yet but I think it would work. You could also leave two spots opposite each other for turning and put double strings in so it would maybe close up smoother. Hope this helps.
#5 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 PM

It does help. thanks!

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#6 of 7 Old 12-20-2009, 07:25 PM

Here is a link to a picture of a car-themed one I made for my DS using scraps of fabric and an old crib sheet with cars. It's not as nice as some of the ones previously posted, but I wanted to mention that it can be done with scrap fabric. I think you can make them any theme you want with the right fabric and a little creativity. I also have plans to make a train-themed travel bag with some awesome train fabric I picked up at a yard sale...just haven't gotten to it yet . Have fun!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608789986398/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/archymo...7608789986398/
#7 of 7 Old 12-24-2009, 03:57 AM

I like the ribbon around the edges instead of the string, very cute! Oh also in my previous post I said" put wrong sides together and stitch around", I meant put right sides together then stitch around and turn, hope that didn't mess anybody up to bad

User Tag List