Middle school craft idea? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I teach middle school and instead of doing a straight Secret Santa we want the kids to exchange names and then on the day before vacation do a craft all together that is made for the person each kid drew. There are 21 kids in the group. Last year we had a snow day and didn't get to do it, but we were planning on making little soaps. The kids were going to bring in little things to embed in the soap and color and scent them. After we didn't get to do it, I was relieved--I realized that probably would have been a hectic mess to do during a half day with all the other craziness going on. I've been thinking about making Scrabble pendants that they could put any image on and make into a necklace, keychain, or pin. But the other middle school teacher doesn't think we can pull that off in the time we have. I think it would be a piece of cake, but I'm the crafty one, not her!

Any other ideas? Something cheap, simple, and easily personalizable?
#2 of 4 Old 12-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
we made these with a group of 5 - 9 year olds earlier in the week.
http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/holid...mobile-669670/

Instead of wood we used craft foam sheets. I precut some strips about 1 cm wide then the children cut their branches. I pre threaded needles with a double thread (so the needle could not come unthreaded) and the children threaded them up.

To thread the foam pieces we got them to put the foam on the table and poke the needle into it to avoid any poked fingers.

We used hama beads in between as we had loads left form a previous project.

They were very popular

DD has also made baubles, using the same method, but using 2 strips of each length to make a circle shape.

I also bookmarked these but haven;t made them yet
http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/holid...-drops-664201/
#3 of 4 Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Hope it's not too late, but a few ideas:

Origami

Stocking Cap Ornaments

Scherenschnitte - german paper cutting (lots of designs and instructions on the web)

HTH.

B.
Mama to : July '06
#4 of 4 Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh! That paper cutting looks so fun! But somehow I just can't see my students focusing well enough on anything the day before vacation to create something so pretty.

I think we are going to do a group project--kids will illustrate pages for a calendar and then while they are having brunch I'll run off copies and bind them. Then they can decorate the cover for their recipient and put in classmates' birthdays and things for them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page