best playdough container - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2009, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've made playdough twice now and it has turned out great but after I stored it (first time in ziplocs, second time in an old playdough activity tub) it came out too sticky to play with the next time.
Can anyone tell me the best kind of container you've found to keep your playdough in?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I usually use a plastic sandwich box and keep it in the fridge. It stores OK on the side but I find it does not last quite as long.

What recipe are you using. I use a cooked one and find that the dough sometimes becomes sticky if it is not cooked enough. It feels OK the first time but not after that. The other problem I have had is not adding enough cream of tarter, after a week or two we have a really wet mess rather than playdough.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:20 PM

Hmm, strange. I've always stored my homemade play-dough in a ziplock bag and if anything, it tends to dry out a little. I used a cooked recipe with cream of tartar. Maybe try a different recipe?

DS doesn't play with playdough often, so sometimes I just find it easier to make real bread dough for dinner and give him a bit of that. He gets a kick out of making his own rolls/pretzels/pizzas/what-have-you and always eats well that night.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I've been doing the cooked/cream of tartar version that I found on here too. Maybe I'll add extra CoT next time and cook even longer. In the meantime, I'll buy some for emergencies.

User Tag List