sewing prefolds....... do they make very effective diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2004, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are expecting in October and I want to sew cloth diapers for the baby. Because I am a little rusty on my few sewing skills, I was thinking I would start with easy stuff like wipes and prefolds.

What I'm wondering......will the prefolds work decently as diapers or should I be expecting more of a "burp cloth" type of usage? CPF's are inexpensive and I certainly don't mind buying those as well. Just wondering what to expect from the homemade stuff.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 10:34 PM

I love my prefolds Mine aren't home-made...I bought them from a friend here. I am not sure where she got them...they are premium unbleached I believe
Old 02-20-2004, 11:00 PM

Prefolds are easy to make and make great diapers. It can be cheap enough to make it worth your time if you come across some $1/yd flannel, sometimes its on the tables at Walmart.

I think its diapersewing.com that has directions. I'm running out the door so I don't have time to look it up but that is a good place to start.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 02-21-2004, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can also get nice birdseye from Joanne (sometimes) or Hancocks or DiaperShop.com. You just fold them back and forth overlapping the ends in the middle and stitch the 2 sides and finish the raw ends. Simple and they are great for burp cloths if you end up getting some fitteds made. October is a ways off

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
Old 02-21-2004, 03:33 AM

I made my prefolds out of hemp fleece. While it is more expensive than other fabrics, I really like the hemp for absorbancy. I like the fleece ones that I made better than those that you can purchace. Hemp fleece won't hold a snappi though so I put corners on them with fabric that would. Works great. Do a search on the diapering forum and there might be more info there.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:17 PM

If you make the 4x8x4 t-shirt prefolds that I told you about, they will be as absorbent as 2 regular prefolds or a premium - definitely adequate for diapering. I usually double-diaper davey at night if we're using prefolds, but I don't have to with the t-shirt ones. One t-shirt prefold and a wool soaker go ALL night!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:41 AM

IMO, it's more cost/time effective just to get some good quality prefolds online. I've made a prefold with the birdseye and between it being a pita, it was NOT as cost effective and not as good as the prefolds I ended up buying online (unbleached indian prefolds from granitesmith on ebay).

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:27 PM

I made some prefolds from flannel and love them. They snappi just fine, and the prints are so cute! (and the flanne feels so soft!) I made soakers for them out of terry toweling, covered in matching flannels and we cover them with bummis whisper pants.

We don't use them excusively, but they are fun in the rotation!
Old 02-24-2004, 02:37 PM

how many layers of flannel/tshirt fabric do you use?

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 02-24-2004, 03:21 PM

I'm planning on making some prefolds as well. I bought some peices of hemp fleece, but I didn't know how much it SHRINKS.... I was planning on making prefolds for my toddler, but I think I will have to end up using them for the little sprout.

So people who've made hemp fleece prefolds, how many layers do you use in the center and sides? I hope that there is just ONE kind of hemp fleece. Mine is soft on one side, like sweatshirt material. The fleece shrinks more and more every time I wash it!

Any more advice on making prefolds would be great.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:38 PM

For t-shirt prefolds, I do 4x8x4. If I were using hemp fleece, I'd just do 2x4x2.

I need to get my prefold-making page done soon......I took bunches of pictures Sunday night!
Old 02-24-2004, 07:43 PM

For hemp fleece prefolds I did two layers for the outer and three down the center. I think there is only one kind of hemp fleece. It is fuzzy on one side and smooth on the other. I will say though that with lots of washing hemp does get stiffer than other fabrics. Not really stiff, but IMO it does not stay quite as soft as the others. I am intrigued with the t-shirt idea.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:35 PM

I have made a few hemp fleece prefolds and they seem to work great but they are a bit bulky. I make them with two layers on the sides and 4 layers down the middle. Hemp fleece does shrink A LOT so wash and dry it a few times before you cut it up. I make the prefolds so that the fuzzy side of the fabric is on the inside and you only see the smooth side of the fabric.

Old 02-25-2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mehndi mama
If you make the 4x8x4 t-shirt prefolds that I told you about, they will be as absorbent as 2 regular prefolds or a premium - definitely adequate for diapering. I usually double-diaper davey at night if we're using prefolds, but I don't have to with the t-shirt ones. One t-shirt prefold and a wool soaker go ALL night!
Just wanted to say that if I wre making them I'd go this route, used cotton jersey is really absorbant.

Quote:
IMO, it's more cost/time effective just to get some good quality prefolds online. I've made a prefold with the birdseye and between it being a pita, it was NOT as cost effective and not as good as the prefolds I ended up buying online
I agree!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:29 PM

I know you probably think this is a stupid question, but what are the measurements for a finished prefold? I guess I'm wondering about the NB size, and the toddler, not the premium...

I just have peices of hemp fleece, not a huge roll of it or something.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 PM

Not a stupid question!

I think that after washing and drying an infant prefold should be 12x16, a regular one should be 14.5x21 and a premium prefold should be 14.5x22.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I made some out of flannel. They were certainly not cheap (even with the chunks of flannel I had laying around the house). I needed something smaller than Premium CPF and I wanted something pretty. I had more sucess and better results with a countour/fitted diaper (like a fitted wihtout snaps or velcro). It was so easy to make and I could make them in the same amount of time with less materials than a prefold.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List