silk and needle felting question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-23-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just tried my hand at Nuno felting and am wondering, can I needle felt onto the silk? I don't want to risk a test cause I'm pretty sure it will just rip up the silk, but it would be really nice to have a bit more control! Thanks!!!
#2 of 6 Old 12-23-2009, 01:17 PM

I'm a bit confused. If you want to needle felt silk- it won't happen. You can only felt wool. If you want to lay the wool on the silk and try to felt the two together- it won't happen. Other than those two possibilities, I'm not sure what else you could be asking. Perhaps you could reword your question?
#3 of 6 Old 12-24-2009, 12:49 PM

I haven't done much needle felting, mostly wet felting. Sometimes I would lay silk fibers (or other fibers) over the top layer of wool. The wool would hold on to it and it would change the texture of the surface. I'm not sure how that would work with needle felting. I would think that you could needle felt with a wool silk blend but not so much wool onto silk by itself.

I would fgind some scraps and test it tough.

I've never hears of Nuno felting, how does that work?

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#4 of 6 Old 12-25-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Nuno felting is a traditional Japanese art form. It's where you take silk fabric, overlay wool on top of it, then felt them together. The wool grabs ahold of the silk and they "become one." I've tried it, it works (I'll post pics later). Nuno felting is a wet felting process. I just want to needle felt so I can add some more structured felt pieces, I'm just afraid of shredding the silk in the process. Maybe i'll just give it a try and see what happens!
#5 of 6 Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 PM

If you're going to do it, I'd put a layer of wool on the other side of the silk so that there's something for the wool fibres to grab on to- which should hopefully avoid exposing the holes in the fabric. It would be possible to incorporate pieces of felt into your nuno felt, though- I think you'd need to have a layer of wool fibres between the felt and the silk and ideally a layer of wool fibres on the outside to hold it all together.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 6 Old 12-29-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

That's a really good idea, I'll give it a try! Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page