52 Project Challenge? - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 635 Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
Iowaorganic, did you figure out your dh's quilt? I was just looking for something and saw this: http://crafts.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Qu...ine_Embroidery
(the quilt pic on the top right corner of the page)
it made me think of your quilt; i know those arent log cabin blocks (what are they though?- i like that block)...but if you have enough of that fabric or wanted to use more scraps it might be fun to try out different stars or something every other block; i bet this would look good with your blocks. of course, that would be a lot more work, and i bet his quilt would look pretty using just plain squares, too.
I was also thinking of making all different star type sampler blocks (using these fun templates I used on a different quilt) and although they will be different sizes I will strip them in cream to make them the same size as the log cabin blocks.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#362 of 635 Old 04-06-2010, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Well, my son's first birthday and Easter have come and gone. Didn't get everything done that I'd hoped to, but, I did do the following:

6 wet felted eggs like this. I did add needle felting details to 4 of them and whip stitching to all.

2 recycled cashmere sweater bunnies like this

and a pair of longies.

Still working on getting the stuffing right for my son's baggy doll. So, that's 3 more for my total. Of course, I don't remember where I was number-wise. Now, I need to get going on spring longies and summer shorties!

ETA: I was at 12/52. I see that I did not note that I also finished my son's birthday sweater. That takes me to 16/52. Yeah!!!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#363 of 635 Old 04-06-2010, 10:27 PM

Two more down! I finally decided on a pattern for a corduroy jumper for my 3yo DD, and got it completed. I'd found the fabric (rust-colored with flowers) at the thrift store and was excited to make this jumper for her. I got it done, plus made a little pencil bag my DH requested. Second time ever doing buttonholes (on the jumper) and my first time ever sewing a zipper into anything (pencil bag). Hooray! That puts me at 15/52.

Next on the list: reversible wrap skirt for me, simple quilt for my DD, and an apron for me. So far I have the quilt cut out, and the blocks for each row sewn together! Progress feels great.

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#364 of 635 Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 PM

It is too hot to crochet

I have been a bad crafting girl. I haven't done a thing craft wise in over a week!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#365 of 635 Old 04-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I have been a bad crafting girl.
i have that feeling, too. I am working on that baby's quilt, still....i got his picture in the mail; i feel so bad i havent delivered it yet. I have made 18 (5") blocks, and still want to do that many more....it's taking a longer time to complete this quilt top, than it should. I didnt sew at all yesterday because i was shocked to discover i am pg and that shouldnt have kept me from sewing, but it did. well, there was also an hour or so lost in panic because there was a weird dude looking in my back fence and hanging around. today...its afternoon and i have sewn all of ONE block; need to get this top done TONIGHT.

Mama to 3 boys 

#366 of 635 Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 AM

Ms Shell! Congratulations! I had that happen to me last week! Made me take a break from crafting when I should have just made something for the baby!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#367 of 635 Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Congratulations ms.shell and iowaorganic!

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#368 of 635 Old 04-13-2010, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ive been neglecting this forum.
Saturday I spent some time working on the infamous purple and yellow blanket. The yellow yarn is used up so now it will just continue with purple. I recieved many complients while working and waiting for DS class to finish.

I haven't worked on the x-stitch in weeks...I should start that again. I wanted to be done w. it by now... Oh well.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#369 of 635 Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM

20 Left! I finished up my CPH- and it is beautiful- I just need some cool and breezy days to wear it!

Next up I am going to make a couple of spring tops off of made by rae. Most of the fabric is from my stash.

#370 of 635 Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 AM

I may check out for a while. My depression is back full force and I dont want to commit to anything and feel worse than I already do because I didnt finish a darn thing.

I managed to Finish the LAUNDRY room letters. its up to my roommate to hang them.

**going to crawl under the darkest rock i can find now and taking a huge box of kleenex with me**

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#371 of 635 Old 04-14-2010, 05:46 AM

1. X-stitch table runner (feb)
2. Crochet dishcloth (feb)
3. Assembled new laundry basket/center for DS (not a crafty but something that needed to be done for about a year) -feb
4. Decorative letters for DS name AND actually hung up in his room -feb
5. Crocheted blanket -march
6. Wooden spring shapes, colored(markers) and top coat (glitter) -march
7. LAUNDRY ROOM letters are done

7/x for the year. slow and steady wins the race.

#372 of 635 Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Came home from an incredible vacation late last night. No crafting done at all, unless you count taking hundreds of pictures!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#373 of 635 Old 04-19-2010, 03:30 AM

FTR, I downloaded around 800 pictures from our 9-day vacation.

Since I am in the Compact and in this challenge, I ignored the "rules" for the Treasure map and used items I already own. I had never used some of them, even though I owned them. Anyway, I finished my Treasure Map today and am counting it towards this challenge. I'm up to 18 completed projects for the year. How many weeks are we into the year now? If my quick math of 4 months x 4 weeks = 16 plus two weeks of April is correct, then I am on target (or close enough). Working ahead worked out well.

ETA: My math is correct (4x4+2=18), but what was I thinking with four months already gone in 2010???

Next weekend I am going to a friend's mother's cabin for a Scrapbook Getaway Weekend with 4-6 ladies. I'm hoping to get several projects done!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#374 of 635 Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 PM

I finished up the 2 spring tops- so easy to do- I am going to keep stash busting and make a couple more and one for my pg sister. But I had to buy trim fabric for them- the main fabric was stash- so I am going to count them both as one total project.

19/52!

Yesterday we were in the car about all day so I am almost done with a little pair of new baby longies. They are turning out so beautiful- not too pooly either!

#375 of 635 Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 AM

Well to keep my wandering brain semi-focused I picked up my x-stitch today and did about an hour total on it. I finished the clouds and 2 small butterflies. I have 1/2 butterfly left, 1 flower left and all of Eeyore to figure out. Slow and steady huh?
Im starting to think I need new glasses again. X-stitch really strains my eyes at times and I even have an OTT-Lite.(sp)

I am starting to think about my next x-stitch project, I want to do another table runner, Im thinking the flower pattern would be nice and hopefully quicker (and easier on my eyes).

The crochet blanket is still waiting for some attention. I can only hope to finish it this week. I am undecided if I will add fringe as the last round or just keep it plain. I am doing a semi craft purge (compact) this year and trying not to buy any supplies. I have enough yarn to open a small store (who am I kidding I can open a mega store)!

#376 of 635 Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 AM

glad you are feeling crafty again, zebra

i finished my treasure map, and yeah, i am definitely counting it as it took a full four days!
i stopped keeping my score a while ago because i thought for sure i will do way more than 52 this year and i didn't want to make anyone feel bad. now i think i was a bit too optimistic, as i forgot about the garden and summer. i have been able to make so many things overwinter because there wasn't garden work to be done, but now there is so much and that has to come before crafting, so i wont be able to finish projects at the rate i was able to work earlier in the year. Plus, my 1 yo has decided he wants to be outside all.the.time and so i have been spending a lot more time playing with him and my other ds and a lot less time in the craft room. it's all good, though; we are really enjoying the springtime.

it looks like rain today though, so i do hope to finally get back in the sewing room....

Mama to 3 boys 

#377 of 635 Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 AM

I need some ideas. I have a number of small skiens of yarn. Left overs from crochet projects and such. Not enough on any one skien to make anything. No skien really matches, they arent the same brand, thickness (some are, they all are not). .... Any ideas on what to do with all these remants? I thought about putting them aside and when I finally worked my way though my yarn stash making a hodge-podge blanket?? I could also use the small skiens to start blankets etc...

Should I keep them, should I use them?

BTW all I really know how to do is crochet (and very limited patterns) and I'm not in the mood to learn a new craft.

#378 of 635 Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM

I am going out of town on Saturday for an unexpected 5 days. This is not a fun trip. I am deciding if I want to take my semi-almost finished purple/yellow blanket and finish it and leave it as a gift for someone , or take a new couple skeins and start a new project or take along x-stitch?? I am trying to get away with only carry on luggage so space is limited and I have to take long pants and funeral clothes ugh. DS is coming too so he will have room in his backpack.

What to do, what to do...I really need to finish a dang project. I should have plenty of time since where I am staying has no wireless, only dialup

#379 of 635 Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM

I came home today with only 10 pages finished. About 49 hours in the mountains (no distractions) with three other scrapbook friends and all we did was eat, sleep, listen to music, and scrap (and some snow shoveling before we could even park )..... and all I got done was ten pages. Oh well, it was lots of fun!

I'm going to wait to count for this challenge until I have a few days at home to work on the pages. Maybe I can crank out a few more to get my count up???

#380 of 635 Old 04-26-2010, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Do we need to start a new thread for this, since we're nearly 20 pages long???

So I think we're 19 weeks into this challenge now?

I need to go look for my old post and see how many projects I'd completed.

I got two done this week, after pretty much a month of nothing .... Another redondo skirt (for a niece) and nice patches for dd1's favorite play jeans (Why I thought I should applique flowers to the patch before sewing them on, I am not sure. ). So, starting to get back on track.

Congratulations, Ms Shell and IowaOrganic! And, Zebra, glad you're feeling better and back to crafting. No ideas for what to do with small scraps of yarn - there is a book though, "One Skein Projects" or something like that, which might work?

I need to get going again .... hoping that this coming week, I can get some more projects done. But, it's also time to start working on the garden, the yard, etc. And, a recent Pediatrician appointment lit the fire under our butts again about completing the partial-renovations in the house (new windows a couple years ago, but didn't finish around the windows since we planned on remodeling - still haven't done it, it's a 1910 house, so LEAD must be an issue, although they didn't see any obvious problems with the girls. We need to suck it up and get it done, though. Not to mention the Spring Cleaning to do, which will also take some time since I've neglected that a bit this year. And filing for dh's business .... Ugh.

ETA:
OK, I checked: I was at 33/52 (33 to go) when I left for my trip; bought fabric for four projects, which put me at 37/52 -- completed two this week finally, which puts me at 35/52.

Not all who wander are lost.
#381 of 635 Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 PM

oh,well, i guess i need to post here since i blurted out that i was pg. I was a victim of the blue dye test (i hadnt heard the warnings since i wasnt ttc) and it was a false positive! it was a big sigh of relief here, tho, no worries, lol. I was pretty shocked for a full week, thinking i was pg cuz i saw a fat dark blue line. Only pee on pink dye tests, ladies, lol. Hope you are feeling fine, iowaorganic!

back on topic, sorry ya'll....

my sewing room is a big mess and i haven't been in there at all. I was sick for a couple days and I have been in the garden a lot, and making my treasure map, and that big mess is daunting me, because i need to clean first. Both ds and dp have told me they have missed hearing my sewing machine; i really need to get in there and sew tomorrow.

i probably could count a garden project, as yesterday we finally jumped in and extended our herb bed by 50%. DP framed it in and everything for me, and then i planted 2 roses and 2 thymes i had been growing in pots and about half a dozen or more other things. and a row of candy cane striped zinnia seeds today, behind the roses. That bed looks so awesome now; i had one rose in it and also my big pineapple sage, which were growing on the corner edges, but now they are centered and where that rose looked placed funny, now it is the center rear and the pineapple sage is centered and now has more room to grow...i took some pictures and after i get three rolls developed i am going to show off some of my projects
i hope to finish some projects in the sewing room this week. i hope everyone is good!

Mama to 3 boys 

#382 of 635 Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 AM

i finished another project, woohoo! that brings my tally up to 5.

i haven't been keeping up with the thread, but i had to search it for my previous total, and i saw all the kind and encouraging words you guys shared with me. thank you so very much! what a lovely bunch of crafters.

here's my project:
http://spontaneousgeneration.typepad...-birthday.html
it's a little tote bag for a little boy, somewhat inspired by the 'treasure' bag in handmade home, except it's fabric instead of mesh.

ms.shell, i can totally relate. i've been sewing at my table, even though i supposedly have a sewing space in the basement (complete with big table to work on, two bookshelves for storage, and my ironing board). it's just too messy to work there!
#383 of 635 Old 05-01-2010, 08:12 PM

I just wanted to check in. I was out of town last week. I took a couple cotton skiens with me and finished off 3 cotton 'hot pads'/ kitchen towels that I left with family. I was stressed and crocheting helped keep me focused and grounded while I was there. I am counting that as one project. Once we got home I needed to put together a small project/story board for DS class this AM. I am counting that as a project as well. We were fortunate enough to be able to visit Fallingwater in Pa on our trip. Today while DS was at class I finished the yellow/purple blanket . So 3 projects this week. YEAH...

1. X-stitch table runner (feb)
2. Crochet dishcloth (feb)
3. Assembled new laundry basket/center for DS (not a crafty but something that needed to be done for about a year) -feb
4. Decorative letters for DS name AND actually hung up in his room -feb
5. Crocheted blanket -march
6. Wooden spring shapes, colored(markers) and top coat (glitter) -march
7. LAUNDRY ROOM letters are done
8. 3 crocheted hot pads/ kitchen towels (april)
9. Story board of Fallingwater for DS school (april)
10. Purple/yellow crocheted blanket (april)

Next I need to finish the x-stitch pillow case and pick new colors for another crochet blanket project. I also purchased more cotton yarn for kitchen towels, they are quick projects that keep me focused when my brain wants to wander.

#384 of 635 Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
cotton yarn for kitchen towels, they are quick projects that keep me focused when my brain wants to wander.
yeah. i have been wanting to work with yarn for a long time and this week figured out crochet, which i am slowly learning.
but i made a little something today, it's finished, a green dishscrubber knit with cotton and plastic yarn on a knifty knitter loom. wanna replace all my kitchen cloth with things handmade by me. that will be slow, of course, but i agree its a quick relaxing kinda project.
i also sewed up some quilt blocks given to me by my mom and made by my great great grandmother. there were 16 9 patch blocks for a baby, with loud bright pink and blue and some black checks and a piece of poly print from a gown i remember she wore. I just layed out the blocks and sewed them together; i will need to find something just right for the borders and will probably give it back to my mom for babies who come to her house. There are also 20 big patched birds (or butterflies maybe; i think they look more like birds) that she made, some of them are so gorgeous....and there is blue dye on top of my fridge...i think i will dye muslin and applique the birds on that....and also there were 5 large hand pieced assorted blocks that will make an awesome set of pillows for the futon we will soon be moving into my family room....i would like to make these this week.
but i am just happy to say i finished something today; it looks pretty hanging on my sink.

Mama to 3 boys 

#385 of 635 Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Week 20:
35/52
-- I actually did get projects sewn this week - 71 double-sided flannel cloth diapering wipes (I have a headache now ) -- I'm counting them as two projects, since I'm sending half to each friend expecting her first babe in the next month (I'm nesting for them right now ). I've got two friends planning to cloth diaper with their first babies! I'm excited, and this was a way to use up scraps and set them up at least a little for their big projects - I know cloth diapering is expensive when you're starting out! I'd cut the wipes out a couple years ago, thinking that I'd use all my scraps from years of receiving blankets as gifts, as a quick etsy sale or something -- but, never got them finished.

BUT - I bought fabric to make my niece a sundress, and fabric to make dd1 another redondo skirt. So, this was a break-even week since those cancel out the projects I finished. I'm just glad I got the wipes done before babies arrived!!

Good to hear that so many had a productive week! Especially Zebra.

Not all who wander are lost.
#386 of 635 Old 05-06-2010, 03:21 AM

I started my remanent yarn blanket. I used up 4 small balls of yarn tonight. i think i am going to keep this one for myself. The different textures are wonderful, the colors are blending wildly. When doing a project like this, you never know what you are going to get and so far I am pleasantly surprised. Not to mention starting with the very small balls has me feeling like I'm making huge progress.

#387 of 635 Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 PM

That's great, Zebra!

I came to check in with the group. I've been on a 7-day Ayurveda cleanse, which is really a 10-day regimen, and I have focused solely on the very basics of living. It has been an amazing experience, but no crafting at all. I am on day 9 today, so hopefully I'll be back in action next week. (Gotta clean the house this weekend! )

#388 of 635 Old 05-08-2010, 12:07 PM

2 more projects complete.
i made myself a knit bag and matching changepurse/wallet as my first (other than dishcloth) knit project. The original idea was for it to be my (large) knitting bag, but the yarn didnt go as far as i expected, and instead of buying more, i just let the bag be smaller than i had planned. I am really happy with it, tho; its a great size to carry as a purse and the colors (blues and greens) match lots of my outfits.
i also finished a table rug/ hot pad double knit square and a
dish scrubber for m-i-l. I *think* the colors in the table rug are going to match/harmonize beautifully with her dining room. I would like to use that same yarn to do her a change purse with a key clip by tommorrow, and then do her a purse with it by christmas.

would like to finish a small baby quilt from my great grandma's blocks (need to find suitable border fabric from my stash) for my mom by tomorrow. i have a lot of plants for her that i am going over to plant tomorrow, tho- and my sister gave me 2 small stepping stones for my kids to paint and mom will get a whole pathway of these from all her grandkids- so she has a gift if i don't get this done.
because my BIG project for today is laundry and closets.

Mama to 3 boys 

#389 of 635 Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 PM

I want to join! I'll be behind a bit, but it's never too late to jump on the wagon!

Here's what I've got going right now... at least these are the one's I can think of off hand. I'm sure I have about a billion more hiding in my craft stashes!

1. Knit dress for DD
2. Multibeast Stash Buster Blanket (knit)
3. 9 pairs of fleece soakers
4. Knit dish cloth

Cheers!

Mama to Lulan 8/07, and Amelia Pearl 9/10
#390 of 635 Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 AM

O my I really need to join this challenge! I'll be a little behind but even in the remaining weeks it would help.
The number one project I need to finish is a quilt for baby due in October. However with DD I won't be able to finish that in a week, so I'll have to do it as a section/step a week.
I also have some projects I've wanted to complete for DD such as an activity book thats half way done and a sling for her to carry her babydolls in once her little sibling comes home and I'm carrying them in my sling.

I was just thinking yesterday that I needed something to keep me on track, wish me luck! And good luck to everyone else!

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page