52 Project Challenge? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2010, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
target still has my pics with the quilts and stuff i have given for gifts.
BUT my friend got my camera hooked up for me tonight. obviously, i really need to learn to use it, because i just tried to photograph several things and everything turned out really blurry. and dark, but its night, so i hope to have better luck tommorrow. But here's those jammies i made earlier this week: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50665261@N07/4651964552/
I am making a black dress, a shift, cut from a large ill fitting dress that has been in my closet forever. i am really hoping it will turn out beautifully...
Looks cute and your quilt looks nice, too!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM

Finished two more things today so far (counting as one project, though):

#22 - Refinish bucket and spiral plant stand
I was given both items at different points. We used the red metal bucket as is for years for DD's bath toys under the bathroom sink. She is 9 now and hasn't had any bath toys for a year or more. The bright red doesn't go anywhere in our house. A neighbor gave us a black wrought iron spiral staircase-style plant stand that is six feet or taller awhile ago. I love it! But, black doesn't go well, either. Last weekend, we picked up some clearance spray paint in green. (We only have clear spray paint.) I washed both items this morning and DH carried them to a good spot for me to paint them. They are drying outside in the sunshine as I type.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 06-01-2010, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like everyone had productive three-day weekends!

My week 24 ends at:
30/52

I finished the wedding gown alterations -- -- and adjusted straps for a bridesmaid's gown too. I did not do any other sewing -- the gown turned out beautifully and the wedding was wonderful, outdoor on the ranch on a sunny day with wildflowers in bloom.

I have high hopes (again ) to get the three sundresses done, and maybe a 'cowgirl shirt' for dd1 too, this coming week. I should probably avoid Facebook this week, I think it affects my productivity. -- And things will be complicated by the fact that our dishwasher is on the fritz, and at this point we're going to have to just replace it -- so while we wait for the new one, I'll be handwashing all the dishes.

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:10 AM

I got the next two steps of my quilt top done, but they were quicker steps so I'm only counting them as one. I'm actually starting to feel like I might get this done before baby arrives! 3/52

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 AM

awesome, Ashley

i have got to deliver 2 rag dolls to my sister by the end of tomorrow. one (the smaller one) is made and wigged with her face painted but she is not dressed yet and the other is not yet even cut out. but they will be done tomorrow. i am still thinking about their dresses right now; they are to be a gift for sisters and their dresses will match, or maybe just coordinate, with the same ladybug trim, but i haven't decided yet how they will be. i'll go cut out the other doll now (from muslin i have already tea dyed) and try to get her stuffed and assembled before i go to bed, as dp is off tomorrow and we want to have time in the garden, too. if her wig and clothes are all i have to do tomorrow will go smoother
so off i go! goodnight everyone!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM

well, i got the big doll made and wigged and her face painted and then talked to my sister yesterday who decided she does not want the dolls yet...she postponed her trip and i guess doesnt have the money or whatever so the 2 sister dollies are sitting in their undies on my table and i have moved onto something else they will be dressed this week, but i have another order i can fill, for a scottish flag patchwork wall hanging. i have been procrastinating starting on this, as the design was daunting me, with angles on the x and triangles. but i just measured and made the pattern from newspaper and cut it apart. waiting for my iron now. i think i am going to try to save muslin and just piece the blue scraps right onto the newspaper. hope that works...
and i hope everyone is having a great day!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all!

My week 25 ends at:
27/52

I got three sundresses sewn, but not the cowgirl shirt. We're getting ready for another big trip - if I'm very lucky, I will get a couple twirly redondo skirts and a couple pillowcases sewn this week (Big Sister gifts for my nieces who will welcome a new sibling very soon, mom is a week past her due 'date').... But it's very likely that I won't get any sewing done for 2-3 weeks, with all our travel prep, traveling, and travel recovery. I hope that I can get some dish towels embroidered while we're traveling, at least! Here's hoping ....

Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM

have a safe and fun trip, elanorh!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM

I finished a shawl last night. I think that now that I have cleared out the old projects I started before I left my husband, that it will be better now. They had memories for some reason and it was hard to work on them. Now I can start with a clean slate

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM

I got the next step on baby's quilt done and my daughter and I did DH's present for Father's Day.

We bought one of the picture frames that flip around so you can put a bunch of pics in it. Then DD painted some wood cutouts of her choice (and I even kept myself from butting in and helping), then we glued them to the frame and filled it with pictures.

Week 4
5/52

SAHM to Codi 1/12/08, James 11/3/10 and Connor 4/10/13 with our own personal Superhero DH/daddy

Old 06-11-2010, 05:54 PM

i made an oven mitt for father's day from a neat print shirt and an old denim skirt for the backings. then i made dp a pillowcase for father's day, too. and i finished the scottish flag quilt top but i am not really happy with it, so i set it on top of all the other quilt tops on the rack and i will revisit it soon.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-12-2010, 04:46 PM

i made 2 more oven mitts- one for dp for father's day and one that will go in my christmas gift pile for b-i-l. i also made my dad's f day gift, a cd sleeve/ wallet thing. still need to do cds to go in it. AND i finished my black linen dress. i am so happy with it. i bought silver thread to embroider on the dress, but this dress is perfect being plain black. but so i made a small purse and embroidered on it with the metallic thread. i even made a black half slip which i needed to wear under the dress.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 PM

okay, AND i started my blog. BIG project I have been wanting to get on.
So now I will try not to post so much on this thread! I would love to have readers, though

now i need to put my blog in my sig.

peace to everyone!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-13-2010, 04:24 PM

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 PM

i finally got a good photo of my black dress and bag
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50665261@N07/4707826760/

i hope all ya'll are well and smiling!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-17-2010, 01:14 PM

Nice dress, ms.shell! Your photography skills are improving as well.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Your photography skills are improving as well.
Thank you. DP has helped; we built a tripod and when I shot that dress he called himself "technical assistant" and helped by holding up a light.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM

Week 5

I got my quilt top finished!!! And DH loved his picture frame that DD and I made him last week. Huge party this week, doubt I'll get any crafting or sewing done.

6/52

Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Nothing done craft wise in what seems like forever... Im getting embarassed....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm baaaaaack!

And I stopped at fabric stores.

I did get five dish towels embroidered, and the time it took to embroider them means I'm counting each as one project. BUT I know I bought more fabric than that. I need to tally things up and figure out how much ground I lost.

At least the garden is in and just needs weeding .... so I'm hoping I will be able to bust through a whole bunch of sewing projects over the next month or so.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I've been MIA for a while! I have knit up two pairs of shorties for my little guy and am working on a 3rd pair this week. I also knit 2 soakers, but have to seam the second one. And I knit him a hoodie that must be seamed. I think that's all I've done. I want to update my progress, so, I'll be back!

ETA: Looks like I finished a pair of longies since I last posted, too!

I'll put myself at 20/52 as I'm not counting the second soaker or the hoodie until they are seamed.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 AM

welcome back, elanorh. What did you get at the fabric store? I have to stay out of those for a while but I'd love to hear (or see) what you scored.

That's great progress, honeybunmom. I am interested in trying to figure out how to knit soakers, too. That is awesome you knit a hoodie!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-24-2010, 01:52 AM

We are in the middle of project #23, which is boring. We installed cork floors last June/July after a major flood in May and we quickly put basic felt pads on most things. After a year, these things are annoying so I purchased a different style (nail-in-swivel pads) and we've been converting all the chairs. I just need to buy two more sets of 4 and hammer them into the holes DH predrilled for me on the last two chairs. I'll count it when it is finished.

Meanwhile, I am attending an all day quilting class on Saturday. I need to choose my fabric from my stash and wash/dry it. I'll press it there since we have busy days (2) between now and then. I also need to pack up my supplies and empty my scrapbooking rolling bag and put my sewing machine in it instead. If I actually make it to class and start the project, I am giving myself one credit! I don't even know what size quilt I want to make from this design (scrappy hearts) at the moment and I am ready to go to bed in a few minutes......

And I have another scrapbook getaway weekend coming up in early July, so I need to prepare for that. Everything is still packed from April!!! I need to pull out my pages I finished and count those still. Plus, I need to prep more pages, especially journaling, and gather those needed specific items..........

Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 PM

Well, I completed a different project before the chairs. I went to quilting class today and I decided to quickly sew on all of DD's Girl Scout patches first. She has finished Brownies and is a Junior now. I had soooo many challenges with this seemingly easy task today. Grrrr.... I persevered and got them all on the vest. At one point, DH and DD drove over to class to bring me all my machine needles in order for me to continue sewing. DD is very happy with the vest and she likes the quilt I started, too.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM

My recent projects:

The blanket I am donating to the Children's Hospital:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...00000880402818

A shawl I made for my friend's Mom, she has Cancer and I wanted to make something for her when she was going through treatment:

Another shawl I made to donate to the hospital, I know that when I was in the chemo wing getting streroids when I went blinde, it was so cold there. I hope this comforts someone and keeps them warm:

Right now I am making a blanket for one of my students. She was with me when I first started to lose my sight, and I wont ever really forget her because of that. I will post pics of it when I am through

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Old 06-27-2010, 03:37 AM

Wow, Jaime Thanks for showing off your work! That is some beautiful stuff! I love the stripes on the blanket, and I really really love the color on the 2nd shawl (teal? is that what you would call it?) You are an angel to make such beautiful, comforting things for people like that.

I just made a nightgown from a cute pair of pillowcases. It was super easy and I posted pics and instructions on my blog.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 06-27-2010, 03:47 AM

I finished the chairs tonight.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM

I last posted a month and a half ago on this thread and I was 17/52. We are now moved- and still trying to unpack- but I have finished some projects in the meantime.

baby kimono
quilted a queen sized quilt (2)
bound the same quilt
finished a pair of socks that had been otn for a year and a half!
made DS2 a pair of shorties
refashioned curtains for DD
refashioned curtains for the boys.
Blocks my sisters scarf- took me hours to get it right- but it was well worth it.

That is 9 down.

So I am at 8/52.

Now.... sew curtains for the nursery (can I just whine that it is nowhere near as much fun to sew curtains when you can't buy new material....), knit DS2 another pair of shorties, finish another pair of socks for me, knit new baby socks to get rid of all my little balls of sock yarn, and I need a couple of new sundresses- need to get creative on these.

Looks like you ladies have been busy too!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 06-27-2010, 09:31 PM

I am on a roll! I painted two little ledges and installed them today. They hold my large cutting guide and large quilting rulers up off the ground behind the project room door. I it!!!!

I updated my Flickr set, too....

I'm currently up-to-date by my schedule with 25 completed projects. My halfway point is next Sunday, July 4, and I need to have 26 projects completed by then. While preparing for my quilting class yesterday, my project basket exploded all over the project room. Yet, I am feeling drawn to scrapbooking (upstairs in the family office) since I am going on a scrapbook getaway weekend the following weekend (7/9-7/11) and am not prepared yet....

Old 06-29-2010, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well,

My week 28 ends at:
28/52

I bought 9 projects worth of fabric on this trip (!) ....

I have embroidered 6 dish towels (can I just totally plug www.sublimestitching.com and www.urbanthreads.com ?) -- and I sewed two more receiving blankets. So, 9 projects purchased, vs. 8 completed, so I only 'gained' one more project to complete. I guess I didn't lose *that* much ground, then - but I really need to bust a move on my remaining projects now (summer dresses, shorts, etc.)!

So - what did I buy?
Brown calico retro-looking print (small) - maybe a cowgirl shirt for dd1?
Pink cupcake print - sundress for a niece
*Silky fabric - pjs for dd1
*White fabric with pink flowers - ? but cute
*White fabric with blue flowers - ? but cute
*Funky floral (turquoise with smiling butterflies, flowers, etc.)
Pink plaid cotton for shorts for the girls (matching)
Blue plaid seersucker for shorts for the girls (matching)
Flannel for receiving blankets

*Asterisks are fabric from the new fabric store in Greensburg, KS. I honestly wouldn't have bought so much, but it was *Greensburg* and I thought I would support their business - so brave to start a new business and commit to Greensburg after the tornado etc.!

I'm planning to get the shorts made this week, as well as (hopefully) a redondo skirt, sundress, and fleece pjs for one niece (then I can get her stuff off in the mail, and my stash will look smaller!). Here's hoping I can get through it all .... I've been enjoying this 'down' time with no school, just gardening and housework etc., whereas I should be busting through projects right now!

User Tag List