52 Project Challenge? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks iowaorganic!

I finished the artwork project!!! Every piece has been photographed individually (or scanned) and in groups (Over 100 Pieces!). I also named them all in iPhoto and researched the dates and lessons, etc. It is all organized now! YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!! I have been meaning to do this for YEARS!!!!! One neatly organized stack is awaiting the photographs to arrive to determine what we'll do with the original artwork, but even if we keep it that's okay because it is organized and compact now.

So, the sleeping bag liners and the artwork is two more projects finished!

ETA: Here are pics of one grouping of artwork called Family Art Night. Here are pics of another grouping of artwork called DD's Art K-3. This was my "artistic" idea for photographing some of the artwork. It didn't turn out quite as I had hoped, but I like it well enough to share. There are over 100 individual pictures (or scans) of artwork, so I'm not sharing all THOSE!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
OK I need a bit of support, In my mailbox today was the christmas catalogue for Herrschners (my favorite). Ive been doing good and staying off the website. I DO NOT NEED MORE STUFF... I do not/can not order anything. I have 2 huge bins of craft supplies and its building as we speak...and really, holiday stuff does not change from year to year...

I can not and will not order.... right??

On a positive note Ive started to organize our photos. This is going to take some time as they are scattered about and we are roommates so my working space is limited. I need to locate them, then figure out when they were taken, put them in order then scrapbook them. Im working on the location step... LOL.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

RESIST, Zebra15! You can do it (or rather, not do it, I suppose )! It's so hard to resist ....

I missed my tally last week.

So I think I'm at

Week 23 ends at
19/52

I finished a dish towel while sitting with my aunt last week, and this week finally finished the fleece pjs for my niece. This week I hope to get at least a pair of shorts sewn (dd1's capris which have been cut out for over a month now would also be nice to finish). The dds have a friend whose birthday is this week, I want to sew some shorts for her and if I get really lucky, also a sundress like the girls wear a lot in the summer - both from stash fabric, despite the powerful urge to go shopping for new fabric for the sundress.

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Toss out the catalog, Zebra! You can do it!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Toss out the catalog, Zebra! You can do it!
Its now in the custody of my roommate who could quite possibly order every single thing in there... but I have been relieved of the 'the book' LOL

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 08-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I completed another project which was NOT on my list. On Sunday morning my daughter decided that she needed a treasure pouch. About 2.5 hours later I had sewn a wool pouch, needle felted grass, sky, sun, a flower and apple tree on it; stitched on a button and some stretchy gold string to loop over the button to keep the top closed and lastly hand sewed the ribbon so that it can hang around her neck. She's quite the designer and task master at not quite 5!

I also finished the wool jingle ball for the summer craft swap and my dh gifted me with almost 3 hours of uninterrupted time to work on my daughter's dress . . . at which she is looking askance. And she picked the pattern and fabric. Note to self: Don't let so much time pass between purchasing fabric and making project next time. I have warned her she will be wearing this dress! And I am pleased with how it is coming out, as it is my first project from a real pattern, complete with bias tape and top stitching since I was a high school sophomore or junior. Suffice it to say, that was just a bit over 20 years ago. Ok, maybe 25.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Its now in the custody of my roommate who could quite possibly order every single thing in there... but I have been relieved of the 'the book' LOL
Good for you!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM

I completed a project today. I finally located all the photos. GOSH remember years ago (like 5) before digital cameras when photos where on film and you didnt know what you were getting until they were developed LOL... I had sooooooo many pics to go through, sort, figure out the approx dates. I have tons of pics of my son from birth to age 5, then everything went digital. So this afternoon I was sorting, filing, tossing. Many many of them were in photo books already, these were just the loose ones.
This is step one of making DS many many adorable photo books. I teared up when I found the ONE baby book I made him... He deserves more (and so do I)

My next project is to fire up the old computer one last time, this means I have to reconnect the monitor and keyboard, look at the pics on the harddrive, see if I want to send any off to be printed (of course I will) then recycle the computer.

So today I get ONE point.

I also found my scrap/left over yarn blanket that I started working on earlier in the year. I want to finish that this weekend (I hope)

I will update my count.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 PM

1. X-stitch table runner (feb)
2. Crochet dishcloth (feb)
3. Assembled new laundry basket/center for DS (not a crafty but something that needed to be done for about a year) -feb
4. Decorative letters for DS name AND actually hung up in his room -feb
5. Crocheted blanket -march
6. Wooden spring shapes, colored(markers) and top coat (glitter) -march
7. LAUNDRY ROOM letters are done
8. 3 crocheted hot pads/ kitchen towels (april)
9. Story board of Fallingwater for DS school (april)
10. Purple/yellow crocheted blanket (april)
11. Finished sorting pictures (august)

Really, nothing since april... thats sad....and a huge sign that we need to move. Living conditions with my roommate are chaotic at best

Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 AM

I am so glad everyone is getting so much done!

Today I made a bias skirt that I DO NOT love. I thought I was buying embroidered linen at a great price, but I think it is "linen look." I don't like the way the skirt drapes; it reminds me of a lampshade! And Smurfette, too. I put it on the blog; what do ya'll think? DP swears it is not as bad as I think. I am not sure whether I will even wear this at all.
I also made a scarf/ shawl/ wrap in the same blue, but in gauze, and I do like this piece.

I also made a cute t shirt for my toddler by recycling a jammy top that was too small for me.

I cut out another blouse the other night, with long sleeves. That is my next project, and finishing up the long bias skirt to go with it....it's indigo tie dyed narrow wale corduroy....and yes, I did cut cord on the bias.....I think I am going to love that skirt and can't wait to finish that outfit.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 08-07-2010, 01:16 PM

I think it is very bright. Too bright. I can take it off your hands if you pm me for my address No seriously- it is beautiful! Not smurfy- just pretty blue!

I have been trying to recycle some of my old clothes (when we moved our closet was much smaller than our old one- so I am culling things that I like- but don't wear)- I am finally getting inspired. It is kind of fun once you get thinking about the whole remake.... My current is taking skirts/dresses that just don't work anymore and making them into little kids aprons. I have a bunch little girls on my Christmas list who will be getting a remake apron and maybe sprinkles and cookie cutters.... None done yet- but I am getting inspired.

Oh- and my current project (not done yet) is making 60 I-spy bags for VBS. I had 2 huge boxes of DH's old jeans- some needed patched and some needed culled- so I am using the cull denim for the bags- I did have to buy some table cloth plastic for the windows- but so far I have 33 fronts made and a week left to finish. The craft project is going to be filling them and decorating the denim with markers- then I will have a sewing machine set up there to sew them shut quick. That should work shouldn't it? Also- I priced the little plastic pellets for filling and since there isn't really a budget (as in it is coming out of my own pocket) I decided those were really much much too expensive- so I am using forage peas to fill? They are a titch smaller than soybeans, organic, very hard, and are blue, geen, grey, and brown. Pretty untraditional- but free? Anyone see any problems there?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 PM

Both projects sound WONDERFUL, Iowaorganic!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Iowaorganic, I think the forage peas should work fine. The only concern would be if the bags got wet I suppose? But they shouldn't be getting wet....

My Week 22 ends at
18/52

I got the shorts sewn, and two receiving blankets (but simple enough I'm counting them as just one project). Maybe this coming week I can get the capris sewn. They're really starting to be a barrier project for me! Dh has an all-day meeting later this week, and my plan is to let the girls run feral ( ) - play outside, whatever, not much parental supervision while I try to rock through a TON of filing for dh. When he's here, it's hard to file because we're in each others' way. And even though it's not crafty/sewing at all, I'm going to count it. It's a significant barrier to getting crafting/sewing *done* (dh says, "Why are you doing that, the filing is still not done?!") .... I just don't like to do it!!

Zebra, all the photo sorting you've done is a HUGE project. So even if it was your only summer project, you're getting a lot done!

MsShell, I can empathize with a project which turned out _OK_ but you just don't love like you thought you would. It looks nice - but you know how you wanted it to look! It's disappointing when a project doesn't meet expectations.

Honeybunmom, your project for your dd sounds great! My dd1 was going to make quilt squares all summer, somehow that fell by the wayside (fine with me actually!) .... I suppose she'll want to start up again once school starts again.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 AM

Today I started a fresh project, hoping this jumpstarts everything else I have on 'the list'. Im about 2/3 done with the 1st of 2 skiens of yarn for my knifty knitter scarf. If all goes well I could be done TOMORROW. I did this 'work; today at the library while DS was at a class. We arrived early and he putzed around for 45 mins then had an hr class. Tomorrow he has an eye appt then we are off to another library for more putzing LOL.

I love the knifty knitter... I dont have to keep track of the count, rows, columns, etc... I can just go and when the yarn is gone IM DONE lol...

Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 AM

Update...Im back in crafting mode....
I have 2-3 things working right now and if all goes well they could be done tomorrow . This also works well for my 'decluttering'.
I found a few holiday Iron-on's and I want to get those done before I miss the holidays again ya know?
My scarf is almost done, its such a pretty shade of magenta with rainbow flecks in it....

Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 PM

for finding your crafting groove, zebra15!

I don't recall if I mentioned it earlier... I spent two days earlier this month scrapbooking with a friend and last weekend, I spent one day at a crop. My regular scrappin' friends and I have a charity crop later in the month, as well. I haven't actually counted finished pages since early April.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
for finding your crafting groove, zebra15!

I don't recall if I mentioned it earlier... I spent two days earlier this month scrapbooking with a friend and last weekend, I spent one day at a crop. My regular scrappin' friends and I have a charity crop later in the month, as well. I haven't actually counted finished pages since early April.
on your scrapbooking as well. The scarf has a few rows left but I;m ok with that. I'm anxious and excited to start the next one! I've stepped away from x-stitch for a bit. I may miss the holidays with that but oh well.. there is always next year OR I may pick it up next month. Who knows what mood I may be in.

I have so much yarn I really want to get the inventory down a bit, I know I have no reason to be thinking to the 1/1/11 sales but I am and I'm getting the 'new year, new yarn' itch LOL.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:30 PM

UPDATE

I'm counting todays as 2 projects since I had a very excited DS helping me and it took 5x as long to finish

2 iron on Halloween patches are neatly placed and centered on fresh t-shirts.
We didnt miss the holiday and DS now knows how to iron as well. (craft, declutter, and domestic homeschool lesson all rolled into one)

3. Assembled new laundry basket/center for DS (not a crafty but something that needed to be done for about a year) -feb
12. Happy Haunting shirt (august)
13. Trick or Treat shirt (august)

I hope I can finish the magenta scarf tonight... I didnt get time this am as I had hoped and I have my red yarn all ready to go for tne next one....

Old 08-15-2010, 01:45 AM

I finished a project that should have been done years ago. I touched up the paint in DD's bedroom today....both colors (top portion is sky blue; bottom portion is grass green) had little chips here and there and the line between them needed redefining. I also repainted the entire windowsill. DD is so happy!

Then, DH & I installed her new curtain rod and measured for her new curtains.

Meanwhile, DD has been begging me to teach her to sew. I started today with a lesson in fabric choices, which she already knows a lot about, and then moved into the importance of washing, drying, pressing, and measuring your fabric before beginning a project. We did all those steps with the fabric pieces for her shower curtain and bedroom curtains. I am about to draw up graph paper designs for both now. I have loose ones already, but now I can refine them with exact measurements. (I did the shower curtain precisely before, but needs to be redone due to seam placement. DH, of all people, caught my error!!! ) I need to be extra careful with the fabric for two reasons: 1) We cannot buy any more of it. It hasn't been made for several years and would be incredibly hard to find. And, 2) we want certain size leftover pieces for the quilt-inspired duvet. I am making a Take 5 top for one side of the reversible duvet and we want to include some of every fabric. My 'Take 5' will be more of a 'Take 9'....

So, adding one to my projects completed total (painting and curtain rod installation).

Zebra15 - I know all about child involvement stretching out the time required! I hope your scarf turns out great!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
I finished a project that should have been done years ago. I touched up the paint in DD's bedroom today....both colors (top portion is sky blue; bottom portion is grass green) had little chips here and there and the line between them needed redefining. I also repainted the entire windowsill. DD is so happy!

Then, DH & I installed her new curtain rod and measured for her new curtains.

Meanwhile, DD has been begging me to teach her to sew. I started today with a lesson in fabric choices, which she already knows a lot about, and then moved into the importance of washing, drying, pressing, and measuring your fabric before beginning a project. We did all those steps with the fabric pieces for her shower curtain and bedroom curtains. I am about to draw up graph paper designs for both now. I have loose ones already, but now I can refine them with exact measurements. (I did the shower curtain precisely before, but needs to be redone due to seam placement. DH, of all people, caught my error!!! ) I need to be extra careful with the fabric for two reasons: 1) We cannot buy any more of it. It hasn't been made for several years and would be incredibly hard to find. And, 2) we want certain size leftover pieces for the quilt-inspired duvet. I am making a Take 5 top for one side of the reversible duvet and we want to include some of every fabric. My 'Take 5' will be more of a 'Take 9'....

So, adding one to my projects completed total (painting and curtain rod installation).

Zebra15 - I know all about child involvement stretching out the time required! I hope your scarf turns out great!!!
Isnt it funny. We are miles and miles away (AZ to CA) yet we both did fairly simple tasks that were pending for a very long time and turned them into a kids learning lesson as well.
There must be something in the MDC water.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:10 PM

I made 2 little aprons out of a skirt of mine- they turned out so cute! It was a brown skirt with screen printing of pink flowers on the front- so I cut a childs full apron out and trimmed it with pink bias tape. Then I used the back to make another childs apron and trimmed that one with green rickrack and apliqued a tree on it- both are awesome. And yesterday at VBS we made 56 Ispy bags. The forage peas did not work. They would have had DS p-ut forth a bit more effort rather than wait until 10 pm the night before to get me SPROUTED peas out of a wagon. Had he gone when I asked to the crib of good ones- there would have been no problem. So instead we filled them with shelled corn- not quite as pretty but still cheap and effective. The kids LOVED them though!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 08-16-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Isnt it funny. We are miles and miles away (AZ to CA) yet we both did fairly simple tasks that were pending for a very long time and turned them into a kids learning lesson as well.
There must be something in the MDC water.

Today was lesson #2 of sewing the shower curtain. OY! I had forgotten how challenging it is to match a large repeating pattern *EXACTLY*. With much pondering and a discussion with DH and another one with his mom (DH is really good with spatial and technical stuff regardless of the context; his mom used to sew a lot), I finally came up with a plan AND IT WORKED!!! All the vertical seams are sewn and look great. DD was so happy to get to the sewing machine part, it was funny. For this project, I am the one "doing" and she is the one "assisting" and "watching". The child really needs to learn patience, so this is doing double duty. We'll finish the shower curtain tomorrow (square up top and bottom, then sew rod pocket and hem and HANG IT UP), and then we are reversing roles and she is making a pillow case for a small pillow. She has already chosen the fabric and we washed and dried it today.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

My Week 21 ends at
17/52

I sewed two receiving blankets, and mended a dress for dd1. So counting those as one project..... I still have the capris I cut out for her back in JUNE, waiting to be sewn. .... We've hit the point in summer where the garden is dominating my time (today I made cherry pie filling and bread&butter pickles) .... and we'll be gone for about five days this week. It would be a good trip to have her capris ready to wear, but I doubt I'll get to them tomorrow, as we have a play date, and company, and packing/getting ready for the trip all to keep me rushing.

I'm hoping to get more dish towels embroidered in the vehicle on this trip. I have four left to embroider to be able to send a package of dish towels off to my sister .....

Old 08-17-2010, 01:57 AM

1 more done today. I finished the knifty knitter scarf. This took a bit longer than I hoped but the scarf is completed and in the pile of potential holiday gifts. I now stand at 14/52. I've already started the next knifty knitter scarf, I am using a different loom for this scarf and using red yarn with rainbow flecks. I'm aiming for the end of the week, DS and I have 2 field trips this week.

12. Happy Haunting shirt (august)
13. Trick or Treat shirt (august)
14. Magenta scarf (august)

Old 08-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I love the knifty knitter... I dont have to keep track of the count, rows, columns, etc... I can just go and when the yarn is gone IM DONE lol...
Please tell me how you knit scarves, then, zebra! I wanted to do a scarf for my sister with 2 contrasting blues, but the pattern I found for the knifty knitter long loom DOES have me counting....and I keep messing up. It is supposed to be a "honeycomb" pattern, and so I am supposed to knit 1 way for 8 rows and then turn and go the other way 8 rows. I thought it looked simple enough, and it is. except I keep forgetting how many I have done and so the honeycombs are different lengths....it definitely looks like a first scarf, lol! I haven't gotten that far, so I might pull it out and start over if you tell me a better way where I don't have to count! do you use double knitting on a long loom or what? I was thinking I couldn't do a scarf on the round loom or it would roll badly....please tell me how you do scarves!
I just got a fine gauge sock loom and I definitely have to count and change stitches on the socks, so I would like a mindless easy knit for working on in bed.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM

I forgot to mention I scanned in about half of the preschool papers last week. Gotta finish that soon, so I can work on the preschool photo book online if I run out of other things to do at the crop later this month.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:38 PM

The plan for yesterday was to finish the shower curtain, but we had an unexpected playdate at our house instead. We straightened up the house and did laundry and dishes in the morning and then entertained friends all afternoon (fun!) and cleaned up again after dinner.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:55 PM

sunny, i would love to know details about how you are lining/ constructing the shower curtain.

DP wants me to make a shower curtain for his bathroom from a perfectly sized quilt top I made long ago and never have quilted.

But I don't know what I should do about lining and hanging it. IDK if i should figure out how to apply grommets or make buttonholes at the top or what to do. And, how can it be waterproofed? Or do you just use a waterproof clear curtain on another rod or hang them both together on the same rod or what? I have always had waterproof shower curtains and feel like an ignorant idiot, but I would love if you would explain how you are making a fabric shower curtain!
I have just been putting this off rather than figure it out, so maybe you can help me get it done with your reply! Please and thank you.

AFM, I keep starting new things and have SEVERAL unfinished projects in various stages of completion. Have not finished much in a while. I made a ham and seam roll and also a double sided cover for my hanging ironing board. and i finished a skirt that had been waiting for a hem for weeks. My sister is bringing me (HEAVY) fabric and lining and measurements and expecting me to make multiple long curtains for her today, so I don't plan anything else except hopefully finishing my first baby sock this evening. Crossing my fingers it will fit!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Hi shell,

I am making the shower curtain just like a window curtain with a rod pocket at the top and one-inch hems on the other three sides. I decided not to line it because this is really great fabric -- sturdy with a nice drape -- and a lining would probably create a wonky warping effect down the line. I have two white tension rods up. The inside one holds the clear-ish liner and the outside one will hold the shower curtain. If I have enough length, I will create a flange above the rod pocket to definitely conceal the second rod behind it. Even without the flange, though, I think a casual visitor will not notice there are two rods.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:49 PM

I have 2 projects 'in the works'
Currently working on a scarf -still the same red one and 'scrap yarn' blanket -part of the declutter challenge. Im really excited to see how the scrap yarn blanket turns out. If I can keep the interruptions and distractions (umm MDC) to a minimum hopefully they will be done soon??

How is everyone else doing this week?

I actually had employment yesterday so I didnt get anything done!

User Tag List