52 Project Challenge? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 635 Old 01-10-2010, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started an Excel spreadsheet last night of all the projects I have to do around here. I sat in each room with my laptop and looked around and typed. I only spent time in the downstairs rooms and my list is well over 52 already! I started by pulling out every single sewing project that is waiting in my laundry-size "project" basket under the table in the project room. My sewing machine and serger are set up on that table, but I just recently got that room back for these types of projects. The room had been set up as a workshop from May to November while we did major home improvement projects after an ankle-deep flood on the main level (downstairs). In other words, I am WAY behind!!!

To motivate myself, I think I will photograph each project as it is when I pick it up again and then photograph it when I finish it and post the photos on my Flickr account (to share). I'll also add a check box to my Excel chart. Checking things off is kinda fun, right? Seeing items completed and in use is the most fun, though. Getting there can be challenging, though..... I have high expectations and long lists of projects to be completed in every area of my life. I often achieve 75% of them or more, so lists work better than not having a list. Plans are good for me, too, even if I choose not to follow them all the time.

How do you balance all your obligations?

Like most MDCers, I am a mother and wife and pet owner. I volunteer, take classes, organize playgroup events, walk/drive DD to activities (one is Girl Scouts, which meets every other week, and one other activity per trimester - school is year-round - and this trimester is ice skating, which is 2-3 times a week), care for neighbors' homes and pets (altogether more than half the year), and keep up our own home (including being the CFO and COO - DH is the helpful sort and I am happy to do what I do). I am learning to grow food and cook from scratch and knit. I already scrapbook, stamp, sew, paint, quilt, and other paper and fabric crafts. DD is out of school approximately one month at a time three times a year, which is GREAT for many reasons. My volunteer and class time decrease during her breaks, but most of my other obligations increase. She is on break until after MLK day.

Please share your tips for getting crafts completed.....

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#62 of 635 Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ending Week 2 with three pairs of pjs sewn (simple fleece and knit pjs) - so that puts my total at: 48/52. I've held off on posting my tally hoping to get two more pairs completed tonight - but it's not going to happen. Surrendering to the inevitable and pushing them off for later this week.

Good progress, everyone!

Sunnysandiegan - I too have vastly more than 52 projects to complete, so I don't know how good my advice is. Although I have my productive moments, and this thread is helping me keep plugging along, it's so motivational to hear what other people are accomplishing.

That said, some things that do work for me:
1. I cut out patterns in the bathroom while the girls are bathing. They like long soaking baths, and that way I am accomplishing something at the same time. If I'm behind on letter writing or thankyous or something like that, I do that then.

2. I try to keep a couple baskets of "whenever" projects, that I can just pick up and DO if I have a few moments (ie, a quilt top I'm piecing, and flannel wipes for cloth diapering that I just need to whip up). Unfortunately, now that I'm on Facebook as well as MDC, I do NOT keep up on these like I used to.

3. I do try to at least follow the rule that I can't buy a new project if I haven't completed a project. But I am not very good at this! Especially if it's pretty and on sale.

....I haven't tried scrapbooking, and haven't learned to knit or crochet (I would like to knit and crochet though). I know myself well enough to know that if I were to add scrapbooking to the mix, I would be just as overwhelmed with those projects as I am with my sewing/quilting. I was all set to learn to knit a couple years ago, and have the yarn and books to prove it. I ended up sending some of my projects/yarn to a friend who does knitting on etsy, and paid her to complete them for me. I think I will do the same with my remaining knitting projects, too. She's currently decreasing her stash though so won't add distractions for her yet!

If you could see my house right now, you'd know that I am not balancing it all well -- the house is cluttered, I'm behind on filing for dh (behind for a long time actually on that) and some things have been sliding. It's a battle. I homeschool dd1 and there are lots of times I wish she was in public school, because I could probably get more done daily if I weren't spending 3-4 hours on school every day. But we like the homeschool situation too much to put her in a brick and mortar school so that's just fantasizing on my part.

Not all who wander are lost.
#63 of 635 Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 AM

Thanks for the reality check, elanorh!

On a positive note, DD & I sewed her Girl Scout patches onto her Brownie vest tonight. Woo Hoo! One project completed!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#64 of 635 Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Please share your tips for getting crafts completed.....
I'm not particularly prolific in my crafting, but I work in small, baby steps. For example yesterday I wanted to get my chloe toes nappy (diaper) finished. The first step I did was get my sewing machine out and plugged in. About an hour later I walked past the dining room table and selected my cotton thread, loaded a bobbin with the right colour, and threaded the sewing machine. Then I did stuff around the house and did stuff with the kids. Then, I pinned my fabric together and placed it under the foot of my sewing machine. I put dinner on (risotto). In between stirring risotto and tending to the baby and toddler, I would do small sections of sewing (a minute at a time, no more). I had about three-quarters finished by the time the kiddies were both in bed, then I finished up the rest while DH had a shower.

Admittedly, it's a frustrating way to craft and not as satisfying as sitting down and giving into to my creative urges for an hour or two at a time, but it works for me. My toddler does not amuse himself and requires lots of input and direction from me, so this is the way I've had to adapt to maintaining my creativity while my children are small.

Knitting is a great craft to do with little snippets of time ... I sometimes only get a few stitches knitted, or half a row, but it's still progress and if I do that enough times, I eventually manage to knit a whole garment, even if a baby-sized dress takes me a month! I think it's one of the reasons I like knitting so much. I don't have to spend time setting things up (like sewing), I can leave it lying around on the couch and pick it up whenever I have a minute or two spare.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#65 of 635 Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 PM

darned reality check. I make it a priority. I have to see progress in my life. The house is never going to stay tidy, dishes will never end for more than an hour or two, and laundry will never be caught up with for more than a day. That is very frustrating to me. I guess reality is frustrating. So I prioritize crafting so I can at least see where 30 minutes a day went. Like visually see where I spent it. But I really need to finish up my book work for taxes. I should be doing that today and tomorrow. We will see how that pans out though.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#66 of 635 Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 PM

I finished sewing little dd's fleece blanket! She'll be two next month. She loves it.

She's cuddling up with it right now, wrapping it around her self. It is pink fleece with a Blues Clues cotton flannel material with pink sheep on it sewn on one side. She loves Blues Clues and I couldn't find the fabric anywhere but a shop on etsy had a piece already cut and sewn with a pink crochet border added, so I ordered it and folded up the edges of the fleece and sewed it right on, doubling the sewn edge and leaving the crochet border exposed. It turned out pretty cute.

49/52

blogging.jpg

#67 of 635 Old 01-11-2010, 06:58 PM

i didn't complete anything last week, but i'm simultaneously making two quilts (for my two boys). hopefully i'll finish those this week and be caught up!

sunny, i love your idea (as a list-maker myself) and am off to make a list right now!
#68 of 635 Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 AM

I had a fairly lousy week and spent most of it either in bed or wishing I were in bed, so no crafting accomplished. I only have a little way to go towards completing several knit gnome babies, so I'm looking forward to getting them done. I made several of them already for Christmas, and have the assembly line process down.

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

#69 of 635 Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
i didn't complete anything last week, but i'm simultaneously making two quilts (for my two boys). hopefully i'll finish those this week and be caught up!

sunny, i love your idea (as a list-maker myself) and am off to make a list right now!
How's your list-making coming along? Is it motivating or depressing?

I decided to not add anything else to my list for now since it is borderline depressing to have this many unfinished projects that I have already completed a certain amount of work on. It is already two pages long!!! I added the check box area with a smilie face at the top of that column and printed it out.

#70 of 635 Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM

good! i have 16 items on the list, but they're not all unfinished. most are unbegun! they're just ideas for what i'd like to make. i guess they could be considered ufos in the sense that i already have the materials, in most (if not all) cases.
#71 of 635 Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Finished a hat! It was practically finished, I was making it for little dd when I realized it was turning out way too big so I stored it. Last night I pulled it out and asked big dd if she would want it, she said yes, so I finished it off. And it is cute on her. Woot!

48/52

blogging.jpg

#72 of 635 Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBugsMom View Post
I only have a little way to go towards completing several knit gnome babies
They sound so sweet. Where did you get the pattern? (just what a need .... another project to add to my list )

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledutch View Post
good! i have 16 items on the list, but they're not all unfinished. most are unbegun! they're just ideas for what i'd like to make. i guess they could be considered ufos in the sense that i already have the materials, in most (if not all) cases.
A lot of the projects on my list exist only in my mind at the moment, although I do have the materials for all of them, or that majority of the materials. I might need to purchase matching thread, elastic etc for a few projects.

I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#73 of 635 Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Poppies View Post
A lot of the projects on my list exist only in my mind at the moment, although I do have the materials for all of them, or that majority of the materials. I might need to purchase matching thread, elastic etc for a few projects.
This is my case, too. I may not have made that clear before, so I thought I would do so now. If I need anything for all these projects, it is a very minor item. The work I've done already is come up with the project, draft a design (I almost always do custom work), search for the right materials to match the idea in my head, purchase said materials and, in some cases, wash-cut-assemble up to a certain point. I really have a lot of actual sewing to be done along with a lot of pressing because my ironing board has been out of commission (still is until pad arrives, hopefully tomorrow) and the sewing machine and serger were stored away for months.

I am currently trying to decide if I want to start with the "closest to being finished" items or work in order of the rooms I want to finish. My own personal challenge this year is to complete every single room in our house and I matched them up to about one per month. Knowing me, I will probably work BOTH plans, alternating.

#74 of 635 Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Goals for today-

1. Sew waistband on recycled sweater longies
2. Finish knitting cuff of knit longies.
3. Cast on for pair of longies for friend's baby.

Lofty? idk

Will edit with totals if I complete anything.

blogging.jpg

#75 of 635 Old 01-13-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
My own personal challenge this year is to complete every single room in our house and I matched them up to about one per month.
this gave me the idea to mentally go through the rooms of my house and add more projects to my list (curtains, rugs, etc) and now i have 36! and seriously, i still probably have most materials in the house.

wait! duh! i also just went through my notebook of ideas (in my purse) and now i have 57 projects listed. lol. better stop thinking and start making.
#76 of 635 Old 01-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Last night I started a hat for DS after he lost his outside yesterday playing. We may find it in the spring..... Anyway- it baltic blue peace fleece and I am going to embroider a silver kitty face on it with silver button eyes. I have the base hat done (Yay for getting up early to knit and drink coffee in peace!) and one earflap almost done. Will try try try to finish it today!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#77 of 635 Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 PM

newborn diapers (12)
newborn longies (green & cream stripe)
small longies (mustard & paprika stripe)
wool wrap (brown) DONE
wool wrap (green & brown)
felted bowl set DONE
knit coffee sleeves DONE
fingerless mitts
legwarmers

49/52

Added:
Baby Blanket in the most lovely baby alpaca!

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#78 of 635 Old 01-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
If you could see my house right now, you'd know that I am not balancing it all well -- the house is cluttered, I'm behind on filing for dh (behind for a long time actually on that) and some things have been sliding. It's a battle. I homeschool dd1 and there are lots of times I wish she was in public school, because I could probably get more done daily if I weren't spending 3-4 hours on school every day. But we like the homeschool situation too much to put her in a brick and mortar school so that's just fantasizing on my part.
I'm not balancing well either, but dh has been away all week and I am in charge of absolutely everything--not hugely different from normal, but the time he spends with the kids makes a difference, and I am physically and emotionally wiped out.

If it makes you feel any better, my dd is in "brick and mortar" school and I spent 2-1/2 hours struggling with her over homework yesterday, that should have taken her about 30 minutes (2nd grade). I am actually beginning to wonder if we should pull her out of school and homeschool since I would have control of the curriculum and we could accomplish a whole days' learning in nearly the same amount of time.

On projects, I do take knitting absolutely everywhere with me. It has to be a simple project (where counting is not critical), but if I can do a few rows while waiting to pick up ds from preschool, or at the playground or while dd is in her gymnastics class, it makes me feel good that I'm not sitting there on the phone or texting the whole time, plus it makes for good conversation starter with other people.

I finished one gift project--knit chickens--so I am at 51/52. Baby kimono for my future grand-nephew is next...and almost done!

I am trying really hard not to buy the book and yarn for the Andean Alpaca Baby Poncho in the Knit Picks catalog, but it would make another great baby gift for him. Ugh...
#79 of 635 Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Well- We were gone all weekend and spent like 14 hours in the car- so lots of knitting time.
I'm jealous. I would :Puke if I knit in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan
Technically, I don't suppose gardening and cooking are considered "crafts" in this forum, but I gotta tell ya I am learning both and definitely approach them like all other crafts. I've got long lists of goals for both of these, too!
When spring comes, it will be a battle for me to keep getting projects done. The garden takes priority and is going to be much larger this year. I can't approach it like crafting because when plants need care, you have to give it or lose them.

51/52
#80 of 635 Old 01-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Well I caved and went to my lys last night. It was wonderful since I had no children with me to tear ball bands off and make my purchases really weird. So I must add on three points for buying yarn. I have major baby fever and bought yellow malabrigo for a tiny pair of longies and some dk white for a tiny sweater for my sister who is expecting. the longies are for me though- not her. I also bought yarn for a pair of bellas for my SIL birthday which is the 18th. So I must hurry on those.

But the good news is I finished up 2 hats for my DS.

so now I am 47/52

#81 of 635 Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmom View Post
When spring comes, it will be a battle for me to keep getting projects done. The garden takes priority and is going to be much larger this year. I can't approach it like crafting because when plants need care, you have to give it or lose them.

51/52

I want to make some cutesy garden markers for mine this year. And paint a bunch of little clay pots with chalk board paint for fun. I am going to be expanding my garden alot from last year as well- loads of canning I hope! Last year I canned/froze about 350 quarts- we are busting though that quickly though!

#82 of 635 Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
I want to make some cutesy garden markers for mine this year. And paint a bunch of little clay pots with chalk board paint for fun. I am going to be expanding my garden alot from last year as well- loads of canning I hope! Last year I canned/froze about 350 quarts- we are busting though that quickly though!
Wow! I didn't nearly get that many. I think I canned about 120 jars (mixed sizes, mostly pints, lots of jams and pickles), which is a record for me. Would have had much more if I hadn't lost 90% of my tomatoes to the blight. Much of my canning was from picking at local farms because we don't have much fruit of our own yet. I still have frozen fruit and juice and tomatoes prepped to make more jam and salsa when we run out, and frozen veggies to eat. Mostly, I am thrilled that I haven't bought a potato since June. I am ordering organic seed potatoes today!

OK, back to crafting...sorry for the gardening/food interruption
#83 of 635 Old 01-14-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

My seed catalogues have arrived but I'm not paging through them too much yet. I ought to though. Need to get my orders ready!

A little girl at swim lessons tonight had a really nice little head turban for keeping her wet hair covered when she left lessons -- her mom let me look at it, she made it for her.

I SO want to go buy a nice new towel and make one for Ina! It wouldn't take much work and would be so nice in our cold winter weather, and would keep Ina's coat from getting wet from her wet hair after lessons.

BUT I'm going to try to find an old towel to sacrifice to the project instead, because we do have plenty of old towels. Something fun and bright with polka-dots or something would really be cute though! ....Restraint, restraint!

I have two more pairs of pjs cut out, but nothing sewn this week.

Not all who wander are lost.
#84 of 635 Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 AM

doubledutch - Your last sentence is so true!!!! Doing versus thinking/planning will get me much farther...

Meanwhile, my ironing board cover arrived!

#85 of 635 Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM

elanorh, you can dye towels. I know you know this already, but I figured it would be worth pointing out.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#86 of 635 Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 PM

I completed four of the little gnomes I'm knitting for my kids. I somehow had the pieces for an extra green one (I constructed these assembly-line), and a friend was admiring them, so I gave her that one. I have two more to complete, and one that I need to make from start to finish, and then I'll be done with the gnomes! :-)

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

#87 of 635 Old 01-16-2010, 01:27 PM

I am knitting for my SILs bday on Monday and finished a floating cables hat for her out of lemon curd knitpicks tweed hw. It is beautiful! And the yarn is such a pleasure to knit with! I also have one of her bellas done save the thumb. I think I can pull this gift off in time!

46/52

#88 of 635 Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 AM

Finished one more gnome, and am working on the hat for the last one I'm assembly-lining. 5/52

#89 of 635 Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 AM

My DD & I attended a scrapbooking birthday party on Saturday. My goals were:

1) Clean up the family office before the party, which meant my desk and the floor in front of my side of the closet; and

2) Start scrappin' immediately after the party since I knew I would be inspired.

I completed #1 on time (barely ) and I dropped DD off at a playdate immediately after the party and then I started scrappin'!

I have no idea on how to count this type of project, but I am thrilled I am just doing it! There is no motivation if I only count the finished project because this is a 13-year time span and has over 1000 photographs and is a three-album series. I am scrappin' chronologically, which is somewhat unusual for me, so maybe I could count each year or two I finish or every ten pages or something along those lines.....

I finished up the details on six pages and completed six additional pages from start to finish. My album begins with the summer of 1985 and I am now up through Spring 1989 (34 pages in all thus far). I am tempted to give myself a point now, but I think I will wait until I finish the timeframe I am working on (goes through Summer 1989, which is another 5-7 pages to go).....

Good news is my DH came home from a long business trip! My dad is back from his trip. DD goes back to school on Tuesday after 4-1/2 weeks off for Winter Break. Maybe I'll be able to catch up soon???

#90 of 635 Old 01-18-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
I have no idea on how to count this type of project, but I am thrilled I am just doing it! There is no motivation if I only count the finished project because this is a 13-year time span and has over 1000 photographs and is a three-album series. I am scrappin' chronologically, which is somewhat unusual for me, so maybe I could count each year or two I finish or every ten pages or something along those lines.....
I'm such a slow scrapbooker that it takes me about 6 hours per double page spread. So I'd be counting each one of those as a single point.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page