52 Project Challenge? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haha, I love that fornicating deer. If I lived in a cold climate I'd totally make one of those!

Iowaorganic - your coat turned out really well! And the needle rolls look so nice and neat and well-contained. This thread is giving me far too many good ideas for more projects

I'm nearly finished a couple of peg baskets ... hopefully I'll get them done this morning and I can post some pics.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 12:45 AM

Another project was to scan some pictures/pages for some friends. While I was at it, I thought I'd share a few.

Here are a few for y'all....

DH says I get extra credit because I figured out the scanner and the software and getting the scans from the desktop to my laptop all by myself. I didn't call him once!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 PM

Awesome job scrapping! I finished up a pair of baby socks for a baby shower- but that shouldn't really count as a full project. And I have been working on a pair of socks that have been otn for almost 2 years. They are awesome- I don't know why I haven't finished them yet. Oh yeah- they are 2 at a time ml and are taking forever with no gratification!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 01-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Am I the only person at 1 down, not enough hours in the day? I know I have a newborn, I knew I was going to be doing most of my crafting later in the year, but ... but.... WAHHHHH!

OK, I feel better now.
Nope, I've only got one thing done, and don't have the wonderful excuse of having a baby to cuddle, only a 3yo and 7yo. So you're not alone in not having enough time in the day.

I'm close to finishing two baby kimonos for my Grand-Nephew, due in April. I'm holding off on the blocking/seaming until I have both knit. I have only a few rows to go and I'll have two more things to knock off my list. I keep falling asleep with needles in hand...I'm going to poke my eye out as I nod off one of these nights.

I was digging in a bag of fabric yesterday, and found a small wall quilt that needs finishing. Another UFO that I didn't even remember making.

51/52
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM

Finally fixed the waist band of DD's favorite sparkly skirt. It's a homemade hand-me-down from friends, and her absolute favorite ever, but the sparkly fabric is kind of scratchy and was making her waist red each time she wore it. Rather than take it apart I just sewed a new layer of fabric over the waistband. It works great, looks cute, and is much softer now. Glad to have it off my list.

44/52

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM

A friend and I are meeting at her church Sunday evening to do some sewing. Between now and then, I need to figure out what I can accomplish in 3-4 hours and pack it up. My rolling bag is filled with scrapbook supplies, so I either need to empty it out or find a different transportation method for this time. No flights of stairs (a few random curbs and such), but plenty of walking to get to/from car. Any ideas?

Then, on Tuesday, my bedroom decor sewing class begins. I need to have my designs and measurements and fabrics ready for the first class. I have the fabric for both DD's bedroom (Ikea line of 5-6 prints and coordinating bright solids) and our master bedroom (batik FQ I collected on a road trip). I had designs (handmade patterns) for several items in DD's room, but am not sure where they are now. Measurements? If I have them, they are with the missing graph paper designs. She has a new curtain rod, though, so needs new measurements for that. Also, I want to add a flannel or fleece layer closest to the window just in our coolest months. Gotta think about that a bit more. For our bedroom, I want to do a Turn Twenty quilt top and create a reversible duvet. I haven't figured out what I want on the other side, though. I was originally thinking the batiks would be for our cool season and then have whites/creams for our warm season. Washing the duvet would be troublesome if I did that, though. A friend suggested having the two sides completely disconnect for washing separately. Gotta think about that more, too. Any ideas?

While typing, I remembered what I need to sew first. DD's shower curtain. Any leftover fabric from that will end up in her duvet. In fact, her curtains also need to be finished before the duvet, as well. Well, pretty much everything in her fabric needs to be completed before I start the duvet. Her duvet is going to be a Take 5 quilt top on one side and a solid sheet on the other side (I think -- gotta see what I saved for it). I want the Take 5 to include all her fabrics, which is more than the original pattern calls for....hence my homemade graph paper design floating around somewhere...

I think my mission for the rest of the week is clear:
1) Straighten up scrapbook supplies.
2) Dig out bedroom/bathroom decor projects.
3) Verify shower curtain measurements.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, I have NOT finished a single project on my list, and Saturday I will be going to JoAnn Fabrics to pick out fabric to make new drapes for my living room. I guess I better get to finishing at least 1 project so I end up even for the week

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Just updating my list w/ more projects:

-Fornicating Deer hat for BIL (this is going to count as 2 b/c of the time required w/ stranded knitting)
-4prs lounge pants for DS1
-4prs lounge pants for DD1
-4prs lounge pants for DS2
-knitted rag rug for bathroom DONE
-wool felt birthday crown for DS1
-wool felt birthday crown for DD1
-wool felt birthday crown for DS2
-wool felt birthday crown for DD2
-6 VB fitteds for DD2 (these are currently cut out- they need elastic, serging, and snaps)
-quilt for DH
-felted basket
-felted basket
-felted basket
-felted basket
-felted basket
-felted basket
-sand/ paint curio cabinet
-sand/ paint computer table
-throw pillow
-throw pillow
-felted wall hanging for DS1 (these will be Christmas gifts)
-felted wall hanging for DD1
-felted wall hanging for DS2
-felted wall hanging for DD2

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 PM

When I went into the project room to unearth the bedroom and bathroom decor projects, I found the dishcloths project in my way on the table. I decided to just do it instead of moving it off the table and then back on and so forth. So, I sewed up 16 dishcloths this afternoon. My DD watched me and asked a bunch of questions and then ran off to start her own finger-knitted scarves business. I helped her finish her first "for sale" scarf, too. She has made several for herself and gifts and has been complimented many times. When she learned I used to sew custom crafts for clients, the light went on in her brilliant mind and she is off and running.

I still need to locate my designs, etc....but it was satisfying to start and finish a project in one afternoon!

I have decided to post pictures of my completed projects on Flickr: Dishcloths

Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Finally finished the knitted rag rug for the bathroom. Think I'm going to move on to the felted baskets next, they shouldn't be too hard or involved.

51/52

Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 PM

After searching through my patterns box last night (and removing 10!), I still hadn't found my bedroom & bathroom designs. Hmmm... I searched the project basket today and found the fabric...all neatly organized and washed and folded and packed in canvas bags by room, but no designs. Hmmmmm...

I came upstairs to do some more clean-up on the scrapbook supplies, which I started last night. I looked in all the usual spots for "project paperwork" and nada. Then, I noticed the clipboard I recalled using. Viola! I finally found the work I had already done for these upcoming projects. Now, to review them and continue on....

Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 PM

Finally finished knitting dd's longies.

47/52

blogging.jpg

Old 01-31-2010, 03:46 PM

My grandma bought some fleece and bias tape. She asked me to make some double layer fleece blankets for my lo and my cousin's lo. I finished one yesterday and the other is half done, yay! They're pretty cute, rubber duckies on one side, yellow on the other. Also finished sewing a katrina soaker for a friend several days ago and forgot to post it.

45/52

blogging.jpg

Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 PM

While posting an "offer" ad on freecycle for the patterns, I posted a "wanted" ad for Turning Twenty - Just Got Better. I gave the patterns away a few minutes ago and am hoping someone has the book/pamphlet.....

I'm headed to the church for craft time with friends in an hour and a half and I still don't know what I am working on.... (In my defense, we have been under the weather all week and I am usually MUCH more organized. )

Old 02-01-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Hurray for finding project plans!

End of Week 5:
My tally is 43/52. I finished the Oliver+s kimono pjs for dd2 (flannel; I like the pattern, will order the next size up and will be making this pattern again (and again!). And, I made my first Redondo skirt today (yay! ) - this was pretty much the test run but turned out pretty well. I made the mistake of doing 5/8 inch seam allowances; for those twisty seams, it's better to do a 1/4 inch seam allowance (which I transitioned to midway through sewing the skirt). And while this time, I did a turned-up folded hem, next time I will do a narrow bias tape hem, which will take less time and be more manageable. Also, I've no idea why she had the waistband attached the way she asks - I'll do it differently on the next one (she makes the casing separately, inserts elastic, then sews it on after sewing the ends together - unless I misread the instructions. IMO a lumpy, ragged way to do it when I could turn the raw edges inside and have a finished seam with no raw edges at all, on the waistband.

http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/ecom...ow/PTOSBS.html (Oliver+s)

This is someone else's version of the Redondo skirt pattern (Studio Tantrum):
http://katydidcreations.blogspot.com...christmas.html

Mine was on a lime-green fabric with colorful animals galloping all over it (it was originally planned for a different project, but dd1 has outgrown that so I repurposed the fabric).

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 AM

That skirt looks like so much fun to wear!!!

I took a baby quilt UFO to craft time tonight and got it quilted and trimmed. I have no idea how long it has been in my project basket, but probably several years. My plan is to press and stitch the binding tomorrow. It'll be sooooo nice to get that out of the project basket!!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM

finally! i don't know what my problem is, but i finally finished a couple things this weekend

- quilt square (contributing to a group project)
- crocheted baby hat

i have so many things that are so close to being done - if i can carve out a little time this month, i'm sure i will more than catch up.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Finished the baby quilt this morning!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Current Projects List
small longies (mustard & paprika stripe)
fingerless mitts (1/2 finished, probably on hold til next fall)
alpaca baby blanket
valentine cards for kids exchange(20 each, count as 3) 2 sets done
knit owls (mostly done, need new tapestry needles)
felted easter baskets (1 done)
baby blanket #2 (imperial stock lopi)DONE
baby pant blue & green (just started)

43/52

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM

I finished a hat the other day! It's a one skein Noro, top down with k2p2 ribbing around the edges. I LOVE the Noro yarn, it turned out so beautiful. One project down, 500 more to go!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM

Finished the second fleece blanket today.

44/52

blogging.jpg

Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Finished the baby quilt this morning!
That is a beautiful quilt!

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritto View Post
That is a beautiful quilt!
Thank you!

I also posted it on my facebook account and was hoping one of my dear friends would see it and comment on it. She is pregnant and I'd love to give it to her, if it is something she would like. She did see it and LOVES it! So I not only finished an UFO but I also have a baby shower gift ready for later this year!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Love the baby quilt!

I finished up my February Lady sweater last night- turned out awesome.

so I am 39/52

Next week we are going on a mini vacation- so I am trying to line up my knitting so I can knock out a bunch during the trip. Anything but those stupid ml 2 at a time socks- that will just never end. Hopefully I can be wearing them by next wed for my trip.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 02-03-2010, 01:58 PM

Finished a felted basket.

2/52 projects completed. Moving along S-L-O-W-L-Y. Casting on for the "Fornicating Deer" hat. We see BIL next weekend, so I have motivation to have it done.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM

I went to class last night - Sewing for the Home. I haven't been to this facility in over a year (went for a knitting class last; used to attend quilting classes way back when). The new building is built and the parking lot is finished (and all the old stuff from the 1940s has been removed). WOW!!! This campus is amazing now, especially considering 90% of the classes are FREE!

That's the good news.

The bad news is the instructor had to take emergency medical leave and there is no money for substitutes, so there is no class until she returns. The program chair for the food and sewing classes held this first class in order to keep the class available for when the instructor is able to return. So, no class for awhile. I'm bummed about that and may rearrange my schedule in order to take a different class (quilting) at least for awhile in order to keep up the momentum of knocking out fabric projects.

Interesting tidbit: For the last two years, the beginning sewing classes have been PACKED with new students. Monday night's class had over 100 students enroll! and The instructor (program chair) is hoping some of them discover they can move up to intermediate sewing, which has 40+ students. It is nice to hear that sewing is coming back! When I was doing custom crafts for clients a few years ago, I was commissioned to sew half a dozen sewing machine covers by different clients! Think about that for a minute.... Yes, my clients had sewing machines and didn't know how to make a cover for it. I thought it was sad and always encouraged them to find a basic sewing class in their area (most of my sales were friends of friends and often long-distance).

Anyway, today is starting off S-L-O-W-L-Y for me as I was up way too late last night. Ironically, Wednesdays are typically my "project day" and I have some painting projects slated for today. We'll see how far along I get...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Im in... maybe just by joining ILL STOP BUYING STUFF>....

I have more yarn than I know what to crochet with..
I have way too much cross stitch...

Thank heavens I don't sew....

Right now I have 1/2 finished crochet blanket and a much overdue x-stich dresser scarf that I MUST FINISH this week. (was a present due mid january)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 02-03-2010, 04:50 PM

Forgot to add, I have Eeyore pillowcases waiting in line to be done next... UGH.... (X-stitch)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I hope it's not too late for me to join this challenge. Thanks to posts by Iowaorganic and another member (sorry, I'm blanking ATM) in the Frugality and Finance forum, I think this is a good place for me to be accountable for getting a handle on my crafting stash in 2010 and not adding an 8th bin to my yarn stash. Or another pound of roving. And yes, I did type pound.

I WOH, so, I may not always get a project done a week - especially as I work on projects for myself, but I will make progress. I knit during conference calls and in the lactation room.

So, here's where I am so far for 2010:

Done
Two pairs of recycled longies for ds
cabled longies for ds
LTK Original Longies pattern with feet for ds
recycled sweater dress for dd (although I'm not happy with the armholes, but, she's wearing it again today for the second time)
Very Warm Hat for brother
headwarmer/cowl for me
Felt Ball for ds (supplies purchased) (finish by March 26)
Garter Yoke Cardi for me
Bulky cowl
Lavender filled cashmere bear (with embroidered features)

To Do
Birthday Banner for ds (finish by March 26) - may need some supplies

first waldorf baby doll for ds (have all supplies) (finish by March 26)
Birthday outfit for ds - I have no idea what I want him to wear
Birthday crown for ds (think I have everything for this) - (finish by March 26)
first waldorf baby doll for niece (intended to be first birthday gift 12/6/09 - head is done)

waldorf doll for dd
Valentine gnomes for dc (finish by Feb 13)
skirt for dd (supplies purchased)
blouse for dd (supplies purchased)
pajamas for dd (supplies purchased)
knit purse for me (supplies purchased)
knit rainbow blanket (supplies purchased)
Remember that Knitted Farmyard co-op? Knit my squares together and felt
Knit more longies and shorties for ds - a never ending project
Babywearer - my Ravelympics project - the intended recipient's son is already 16 mos old! And the yarn has been in my stash even longer!
Christmas Sweater for dd (yarn purchased)
cardigan for ds (yarn purchased)
recycled cardigan sweater for dd with needle felted scene (in progress)

Ok, now, for the points. I did go to JoAnn's and bought (and used - yeah!!!) supplies for some of the crafting I finished and some on my list to do. I also just bought some more yarn - my first skein of handspun! I know I need to dock myself for the yarn, but not sure about the other stuff since it's for the birthday projects. Sure, they may not get done.

46/52?

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 AM

I just realized that i FORGOT i have tons of bead making stuff... anyone want bracelets? ugh.... I need to stay out of the craft stores...

User Tag List