52 Project Challenge? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
or.... you can join now on a slightly prorated challenge of 44 projects..... join us!
Great, I think I will

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#242 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, Bunnyflakes - join us anyway! And start counting from where you are in the year (44 weeks left, as iowaorganic said, I think).

I look at my stash and think, it's like I haven't even made a dent in it (!) -- but really, I am getting things done. It's just that I have soooo many projects piled up. If I can actually hit my 52 project goal, though, I will have made a noticeable dent in the projects.

I am so distractible though! I was looking for etsy diaper bags for a friend who was having a hard time finding what she wanted, and found the She Creates store on hyenacart - with some awesome looking patterns for diaper bags! Dh and I have a back-pack diaper bag, it's sturdy and wonderful and great for dh to carry too (just plain navy). And we DON'T have a baby. But I still have a bad case of the wants for these diaper bag patterns! I ordered three more Oliver+s patterns this week - but no fabric, so am not counting them towards my 'balance.' I expect that I'll be using them to complete some of the projects, in fact - I ordered the larger pj kimono pattern to whip up some for dd1 since they work great for dd2.

At some point, I'm going to have to go buy some fabric though - I want to make redondo skirts for my nieces too, so at what point I'm ready to tackle that, I'll be canceling out at least 4 completed projects (I need to buy fabric for a sundress for one niece, too).

So I ought to recapture motivation and get to work right now. I have two friends who are expecting their first baby this spring, and both are planning to cloth diaper, so I want to get through all the cloth wipes I have cut and ready to sew together, so I can send them each some cloth wipes to start their diaper stashes. Those and my cut projects should keep me busy for a couple weeks .... unfortunately!

Not all who wander are lost.
#243 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
another day with out progress

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#244 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyflakes View Post
I am so bummed that I just found this thread I would have loved to be in it. Maybe next year
Yeah, come play! Just set yourself a prorated goal. Btw I love your bunny avatar.

blogging.jpg

#245 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 10:14 AM

I've decided to set myself a new goal, a goal within the goal. I bought six felt food patterns on etsy (they're really cute), each with multiple food items, months ago. I've only made three pieces of food from them. So I'm setting the goal of making one piece of felt food a week but not counting them as a finished project until they are ALL complete, then I'll count them as one project together. I really need this push to get them done as well as continue making progress using up stash items.

For my own reference (to be edited as complete)-

orange with slices- complete
potato- complete
carrot- complete
apple with slices-
grapefruit half-
lemon-
lime-
kiwi half-
pear-
avocado halves-
onion-
corn-
tomato-
banana-
sandwich-
cookie-
pineapple-
peach-
grapes-
plum-
strawberries (2+)-
cup of orange juice-
pancakes (2+)-
egg-
maple syrup-
bacon-
cake slices (2+)-
cupcakes (2+)-

See why I need incentive? There are so many of them and the patterns weren't exactly a small investment.

blogging.jpg

#246 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
another day with out progress
Up until a couple of months ago life was keeping me so busy I felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything I wanted to do. Not sure if this has you feeling down, but felt like you might need a hug. It comes in spurts for me, yk? A couple of months ago I had a baby under two wanting held alot of the time. Now I have a crazy two year old toddler running around, throwing food, asking to watch dvds, spilling cups, making piles of toys, and doing other interesting, diverting stuff, lol.

blogging.jpg

#247 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 03:24 PM

Yesterday I cut out antoher sundress for myself and have it about 1/3 done from working on it while cooking this morning. And I have been pluggin away at my sisters bday lave scarf- beautiful.....

I think I will have enough leftover sundress fabric to make a cute twirly skirt for DD.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#248 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 PM

Okay the first project I am working on now is a baby blanket for a coworker. I might be slower than the rest of you, I had the carpal tunnel surgery on both sides the past year so this is actually my first time crocheting since then. I am going pretty slow to rebuild my muscles. But steady and slow wins the race

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#249 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 PM

Hi 3/52 today... I made some progress, I actually completed something. DS has needed a new laundry basket setup for well... a year now... while I didn't make it, I assembled it ( actually went to the store, bought it on a Saturday no less) and put it in the room. That ladies is no small feat around here these days. So for that I am giving myself ONE HUGE POINT

This year I completed a x-stitch table runner, crochet dishrag, and the laundry center. I have work in progress of 1 x-stitch pillow case and 1 crochet blanket (i could finish this project by sunday IF i put my mind to it)

DS asked me to make him those Huge letters from the craft store to spell his name all fancy.... http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd233338 the 'official' craft name escapes me now so we are brainstorming ideas and I will get all the supplies we are missing this week and do that with him. (can i count each letter as ONE craft LOL)

Keep up the good work ladies....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#250 of 635 Old 02-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
Up until a couple of months ago life was keeping me so busy I felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything I wanted to do. Not sure if this has you feeling down, but felt like you might need a hug. It comes in spurts for me, yk? A couple of months ago I had a baby under two wanting held alot of the time. Now I have a crazy two year old toddler running around, throwing food, asking to watch dvds, spilling cups, making piles of toys, and doing other interesting, diverting stuff, lol.
Thanks... I'm just in a personal rut right now... I'm student teaching (early mid life career change) and my mentor teacher and I just dont 'jive' After I leave 'school' I don't feel much like doing anything but driving off the proverbial cliff which is odd since crafting is my stress outlet. My eyes are all on 4/9/10 which is my last day of S.T. then hopefully *I* will be back to normal cranking out crafts and such.

BTW those felt foods are just too cute. I wish my son was younger.

#251 of 635 Old 02-28-2010, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

MissRubyandKen, I would definitely count those felt foods as more than one project! They look like a lot of detail work. What if you kept a tally and once you'd completed everything from one pattern set, that was one whole project? Just my opinion, of course.

I spent the afternoon looking for good tutorials for felted slippers from recycled sweaters. -- I didn't find any that I liked, what I found was wooly-baby's site and I love all her slippers. Maybe I can talk myself (and dh) into buying some of hers instead .... will still need to come up with something to do with some of my old wool sweaters though.

#252 of 635 Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
I spent the afternoon looking for good tutorials for felted slippers from recycled sweaters. -- I didn't find any that I liked, what I found was wooly-baby's site and I love all her slippers. Maybe I can talk myself (and dh) into buying some of hers instead .... will still need to come up with something to do with some of my old wool sweaters though.
I made a bunch of robeez type slippers out of old sweaters for my kids and other children for Christmas. I don't know if this would be something you would be interested in. I traced the bottom of thier foot, added a good half inch all the way around and went from there. I bought leather coats from the thrift store for the soles and lined them with either flannel or rabbit fur. DS2 has the rabbit fur ones and they are about worn out. I don't know if they will actually make it to spring or if I need to make another pair quick.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/4298076351/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/4073561960/

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#253 of 635 Old 02-28-2010, 09:31 PM

I actaully finished something today....
DS name letters are done and hanging in his room. I purchased all the items yesterday and started AND FINISHED the project today.... (this never ever happens)

1st letter features Paris
2nd letter features London
3rd letter features Washington DC
4th letter features NYC

Letters are outlined in black paint and have red textured paper on them.... its soooo cute and just adorable for a 9 yr old boy obsessed with geography and travel. We had a blast working together and I am in a great mood... I took lots and lots of pics and now he wants a mini scrapbook of the event.... do I smell another project request?

4/32 completed

Tonight I am going to crochet and see how far I get with that.

#254 of 635 Old 03-01-2010, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

It's the end of Week 9!

My tally is:

38/52 - I sewed two of the fun little skirts ("Market Skirts") - and a pair of fleece mittens that were quick, and I'm not counting.

I have a cowgirl shirt cut out for dd1, and another pair of the Oliver+s kimono pjs (for my niece) cut out as well. And while I was upstairs earlier this evening, I pulled two quick already-cut-out projects out of my box that has projects in it that are ready to sew ( ) -- a long red floral skirt for me, and a shirtwaist style dress for me. So, the goal this week is to sew at least three of those projects.

DH commented the other day that I don't have to keep working on all these projects so much, and in fact if I want a break, I can do something else. Then he immediately said, no, I seem to be enjoying this, so if I really want to keep it up, I should. We had a bit of a discussion about it. He's been overwhelmed and overworked for a couple months now with work (and a long-term office remodel which is finally starting to come together, and which has been a long-term goal for our whole family, so dh can finally have his 'own' office space). Soooo .... There are things I can do to ease his load a little, and I'll work on doing that on top of everything else. He'd noticed that I was so much 'ahead' in my tally (not the 43/52 that I'd be at if I were only doing one project per week) --- I explained that since we're going to be traveling for about 3 weeks this spring, and again in early June for a couple weeks - I need to be working ahead, or I'll get behind and lose my motivation. I did not mention that I am also planning to buy more fabric to make redondo skirts for nieces which will also affect my overall tally

MissRubyandKen: As a Miyazaki fan, do you know - did they ever make Totoro-related fabric??? My girls would be over the moon if I were to find something like that, but I haven't found any doing a quick google search....

Iowaorganic, thanks for the flickr photos - that's the sort of thing I was thinking about. I think I'm going to let this percolate awhile longer and see what I come up with. It might well be those slippers! If I used longies for cloth diapering (or had a friend who did) it would be easy to recycle them into those ....

Hope everyone had a productive week (glad Zebra15 got such a great project completed! Hope you're able to pick up momentum from it!).

#255 of 635 Old 03-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
MissRubyandKen, I would definitely count those felt foods as more than one project! They look like a lot of detail work. What if you kept a tally and once you'd completed everything from one pattern set, that was one whole project? Just my opinion, of course.
I think you're right. When I was setting the goal I couldn't think of what felt right and fair to me, lol. So, good idea! Thanks

blogging.jpg

#256 of 635 Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM

elanorh- I haven't seen Totoro fabric, but that would be awesome! If I come across anything I'll let you know. I did see on Ravelry there are patterns for knitters and crocheters if you're into that sort of thing. There's even a Miyazaki fan group on there, yes I joined, lol.

blogging.jpg

#257 of 635 Old 03-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Progress! I finished my sweater for me. Yeah!! And I'm wearing it today!! And I made a lavender cashmere bear for my daughter, who promptly ditched it to my son.

That brings me to 11/52 completed.

Today, I'm starting the birthday knitting which will hopefully be done by the end of next week. I'm knitting the placket neck sweater hand dyed with indigo on licorice twist and a pair of blue and yellow striped longies - in handspun! My son will be 1 on March 26. Sigh. And his party will be on the 27th.

I've also started a felting project that I'm really excited about. I got a great, soft yellow wool cardigan from the thrift store. Maybe I paid $3.00 for it. There was no tag in it, but, I was pretty sure it was wool. After 2 rounds in the washer and dryer, it is dd size for at least 2 years. I've started needle felting a spring scene on it. I used pencil roving for the sun and have started putting grass on one side and flower stems. I did a draft of the picture to get dd's input and had to say "no" when she suggested polka dots. Don't want to discourage her creativity, but, maybe we can find another place for the polka dots! Maybe on the flower petals to add a bit of whimsy.

ETA: How could I forget my Easter crafts??!! I have to add them to the list:

felted eggs (I dunno, maybe 4-6?)
recycled cashmere sweater bunnies (2)

Fortunately, I will be off during Holy Week, so, to the extent all the birthday preperations take up the next 4 weeks, I'll be able to get those things done during the week before Easter.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#258 of 635 Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 AM

I finished my 3rd skein for the crochet blanket tonight I have one more to go then I will evaluate the project and see if its done or if I need to hunt down more yarn. I would like to finish tomorrow PM....

Next I am going to focus on that x-stitch pillow case and make a bit of progress on it.... i have way too much xstitch stuff... LOL and way too much yarn hehe...

But I am back to making progress...

#259 of 635 Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 AM

I'm not counting, yet, but I need to at least celebrate a minor accomplishment! I had been working on a two-page layout for DAYS and finally finished it last night!!!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#260 of 635 Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM

The necklaces and earrings are finally done! I'm counting them as three projects, so now I'm at 39/52. Woohoo! I'm antsy to do some sewing now, but have to make it past this week first - I have 2 bellydance performances tonight and 2 on Saturday. After that, I'm planning to do some skirt sewing and maybe teach myself to knit.

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#261 of 635 Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 PM

so, i'm really severely sucking at this challenge, but as a mini-update (or perhaps a pre-update?) i just wanted to say i'm going away for a long weekend and hope i get tons of knitting done! i know i won't be able to sleep on the plane, with my kids to take care of, but please god make them fall asleep so i can knit. plus we'll just be doing a lot of lounging on the trip, too. it should be very knitting-friendly! watch for my update tuesday & happy crafting, ya'll!
#262 of 635 Old 03-04-2010, 11:57 AM

good grief- I have been so busy- there has been little time for crafting this week. Today is about packed. I am trying to finish up a sundress for myself- I am just hand sewing in the bodice lining and I also have to make a ruffle for the bottom- so not a whole lot left- and I have it hanging out in the kitchen to stitch an inch or so here and there....

#263 of 635 Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM

I hear ya, iowaorganic! I am single parenting this week (and part of last week) and I admire those parents SO MUCH!!!! I haven't gotten much done in the crafting department. I feel good just keeping up with the house and my regular routines and spending time with DD. DH will be home next week and then maybe I'll get some craft time in before DD & I head to "Mommy & Me" camping for three days. Actually, we have a really busy March and April, which is one of the reasons I worked "ahead" of schedule in February. May will be craft-friendly!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#264 of 635 Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 PM

Tonight is 'CROCHET TIME' lol

#265 of 635 Old 03-05-2010, 12:22 AM

I finally finished my next goal in My Life Journey scrapbook series! May 1985 through December 1989 is now complete!!!!! I counted the pages I did between my last mini goal and now, seven pages, so I am giving myself one point. I am tempted to give myself one point for 5 of them and one point for the two that took me nearly a week to do!

Are y'all counting from January 1 and starting each week on Fridays (ending on Thursdays)? Or something else? I was ignoring the first few days of January (since I wasn't even in the challenge then) and only counting the full weeks of 2010. I'm probably over-thinking it.........

#266 of 635 Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
Are y'all counting from January 1 and starting each week on Fridays (ending on Thursdays)? Or something else? I was ignoring the first few days of January (since I wasn't even in the challenge then) and only counting the full weeks of 2010. I'm probably over-thinking it.........
I don't know what others are doing - I think I started the first week of January (not a full week?) and counted from there - starting over every Sunday evening. I know some people 'start' the week on Sunday, and others end it on Sunday .... I'd say it's up to each of us to do however makes sense, no?

Congratulations on getting SO MUCH scrapbooking done!

This week has been a doozy, just tons of things going on. I am afraid I may only get one project done (I'd really wanted to work ahead). My sister is getting married the end of this month and my 'standard' gift for good friends/family is a recipe book -- which takes a lot of time to make (especially since our printer only allows us to feed one page at a time). I'm debating whether to count it as a project or not.....

#267 of 635 Old 03-05-2010, 02:14 AM

Thanks, elanorn! It feels good to see some serious progress on this project. In total, it will cover May 1985 through August 1998 and will be three albums. So far, May 85 to Dec 89 is pretty much filling up the first album.

I would count that recipe book as a project, for sure, but I am all about motivation and will count whatever requires motivation to finish....

#268 of 635 Old 03-05-2010, 11:33 AM

The recipe book is such a great idea! I would love to do something like that but maybe digital scrapbooking for my mom. I think she would love it. Maybe for Christmas.

Sunny! Wow you are busting through the scrapbooking! I lack motivation to scrapbook when the children are tearing around. They just destroy the pics and supplies anyway. I am thinking about organizing a craft day at my church. It would be perfect for scrapbooking.

I will finish my sundress today- all I have left is to finish the bottom ruffle. The ruffle is even hemmed.

#269 of 635 Old 03-05-2010, 12:34 PM

I knitted two baby hats. Not projects I'd already started nor originally planned BUT they did use up stash yarn, so I'm counting them as one project. So that's good. I have a pear cut out and ready to sew this weekend.

31/52

blogging.jpg

#270 of 635 Old 03-05-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
The recipe book is such a great idea! I would love to do something like that but maybe digital scrapbooking for my mom. I think she would love it. Maybe for Christmas.

Sunny! Wow you are busting through the scrapbooking! I lack motivation to scrapbook when the children are tearing around. They just destroy the pics and supplies anyway. I am thinking about organizing a craft day at my church. It would be perfect for scrapbooking.

I will finish my sundress today- all I have left is to finish the bottom ruffle. The ruffle is even hemmed.
Thanks! My DD is 8, so it is much easier to scrapbook with her awake now. I recall the days when any crafts took a really long time with five minutes on craft and 15 minutes playing with DD.

I made my mom a photo book through Winkflash one year for Christmas. She loved it! It was very time-consuming since I did a lot of journaling to go with each picture. We had taken a "girls only" road trip in 2005, so that trip was the theme of the book and journaling added soooo much to it.

I'd love to see a picture of your sundress! It sounds so cute. My DD wants me to make her some clothes and I don't usually sew clothing, so I'd love some inspiration in that regard.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page