Have to brag up the wall pocket I sewed today! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is cross-posted from the simplying/decluttering/organizing forum-but I am so tickled with it I have to share!

Today, I planned out a three tiered wall pocket that will hang on the side of the cupboards near the fridge. I was inspired by some of the comments here and this post I ran across recently: http://brightandblithe.wordpress.com...ortertutorial/

This answers some serious organizational problems in our house. It removes clutter from the fridge and our counter. We've always struggled with controling the amount of papers floating around our home. The pattern matches the blue in my kitchen just so, and there are more than enough pockets for what we need. I suppose one might argue that the papers poking out of the pockets could be considered untidy looking-but it's so much better than stacks of paper all over the bar and stuck to the fridge!

This measures approximately 36 x 20 inches. I used a yard of a really sumptious Amy Butler print. There are two rows of three roughly 6 inch wide pockets, designed to hold our: Mail, Bills, Receipts, Coupons, Cash envelopes. At the base are two larger pockets about 9 inches wide each. These hold important papers we aren't quite ready to put away and school related stuff like the meal calendar, etc.

I'm no real seamstress, but it still only took me about 3 hours from start to finish. The construction is very basic. I simply finished the edges on the back peice and then added pockets to the front. The width of each pocket is 1 to 2 inches more at the top than the bottom to help accomodate thicker stacks of papers.

We sewed a loop into the top of the fabric to accomodate a short length of hand rail. Hand rail has a flat edge. That edge sits on top of the 1.5 inch shelf supports (small "L" shaped brackets) we screwed into the cabinet. Currently, we have NOT screwed the hand rail down to the shelf supports-I suppose if it falls off, we will consider doing so, but for now I like it that its easily removable. I'd estimate the whole thing (even with expensive decorator fabric like this) cost us less than $20 to make.

Photos are available for your perusal here.
#2 of 4 Old 01-12-2010, 10:57 PM

I couldn't get either of the links to work...
#3 of 4 Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 PM

#4 of 4 Old 01-22-2010, 05:14 PM

I love it! Anything to be more organized...and it's so much prettier than the usual cold-looking office supply hardware.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page