Does anyone know a good tie dyer or just dyer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea where to look and who to ask. I am a dance teacher and I need to dye white sweatshirts for a dance I am doing. I am just doing them solid colors of the rainbow. I was thinking of doing it myself but would rather just pay someone to do it for me. I have no idea where to begin to look though? Does anyone have any reviews of WAHM dyers?
#2 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Rit dye works great. You can buy it at wal mart, maybe target, any craft store, joanns, michaels, ac moore, etc. It works really great and covers easily. http://www.ritdye.com/home.lasso

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#3 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM

Yup, I used that very dye (RIT). It's easy enough that my mom had this be the main activity for my 11th birthday party. The girls came over and we tie-dyed t-shirts. (I did it at camp a different year too).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#4 of 4 Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 PM

As an experienced dyer I am going to have to respectfully poo-poo the RIT suggestions. Partly because it is an all-purposefully crappy dye and partly because there are better and simpler alternatives out there.

Your best choice would be a fiber reactive dye. Though fiber reactive dyes are made for natural materials, specifically cotton but I use it for my silks too, if you item has a mixed content i.e. cotton/poly, it will dye it too. Just not as vivid. There is no need to boil your project in a pot. Per ounce it is also cheaper than RIT.

You can find it online at http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...lnav=dyes.html . Dharma also has great directions for vat dyeing , which is what you would do to get solid colors. I do my vat dyeing in in those medium sized rubbermaid storage bins. For larger dye projects the washing machine can be used to. Don't worry, it won't ruin to machine.
Here are dharma's directions http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...es_tubdye.html .

If you don't have time to order online most fine art stores will carry Jacquards fiber reactive dyes. Check Joans too, they may still carry Dylon cold water dyes which are also fiber reactive dyes.

If you have any questions, feel free to convo me.

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page