Wool felt and wool blends - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the difference really apparent? I usually buy 100% wool felt, and there is such a price difference between that and the wool blends (20% wool/80% rayon or 35 wool/65 rayon) that I'm curious about what the blends are like.

I've always held this belief that anything BUT 100% wool would feel like the acrylic stuff you can buy for $.10 a sheet.

I use the felt for crowns and other crafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea- I freaked on the price by the sheet a long time ago.

I have just been buying up wool sweaters at goodwill or other thrift/charity shops and felting those down- which is so so very much cheaper than even the blends in the sheets. And I end up with nice sper thick felt!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 5 Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Let me preface this by saying I have no idea- I freaked on the price by the sheet a long time ago.

I have just been buying up wool sweaters at goodwill or other thrift/charity shops and felting those down- which is so so very much cheaper than even the blends in the sheets. And I end up with nice sper thick felt!
I've done this, and the material always ends up so thick! I like to work with a thinner felt.

I've tried felting the sweaters less, but then it doesn't hold it's shape as well as I'd like.

I was at Salvation Army yesterday looking for cashmere sweaters, and I saw some that were thin, "Italian" merino. Is this what everyone felts? I usually grab the heavier wool sweaters.
#4 of 5 Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 PM

I love the 100% wool felt, but if cost was the main issue, I would go with the 70% wool/30%rayon, personally. I wouldn't use a felt with more rayon that than. The main complaint for me is that it tears apart and pills so easily. !00% wool felt is so much more durable. I think the more rayon, the more flammable it is, too which is a major consideration with children's products.

http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/wo...l-felt-70.html

I love this stuff. It's thicker than the dutch wool felt and not as durable, but it's soft and east to sew, comes in beautiful, mottled colors-
http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/wo...lant-dyed.html

Here's a bamboo felt I'd like to try sometime-
http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/wo...mboo-felt.html
#5 of 5 Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 AM

I don't have any 100% wool to compare to except for the really thick stuff but I do have 20-35% wool felt and that still is even way better and different than the acrylic felt. More sturdier and so far I haven't noticed pilling but not super soft unless washed. I would say try it. Most times they carry 20-35% at Joann fabric to try out. Not a lot of colors( usually 1 or 2) but at least you could try it. Or try ebay.

SAHM to 2 girls Born 8/2004 and 10/2007. Happily married. California living. Also on Diaperswappers, TBW and Ravelry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page