What insert do you use for wool longies or soakers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've made diaper covers and am still perfecting my own style and now I've been swept off my feet by the cute longies from this tutorial!

But now I need to know... what do you use inside to soak up the pee?

Oh and how often do you wash them? If you use them more than once in a day do they stink? Just trying to understand how to use them properly...

Oh and since they are made from a felted sweater does that mean that you can wash them in the washing machine? and if so... hot warm or cold?

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#2 of 6 Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
You do have to use a somekind of diaper underneath. Any cover is only as good as the diaper under it. I've used that same tutorial twice now (the second time just on Saturday!). I did lanolize the longies. I will continue to wash them by hand to lanolize them. Since they are wool, they have anti-bacterial qualities, so, they do not stink. Just let them air dry between wearings and you're good to go. A sign that they need to be lanolized again is that they start to retain odor. If you have a front loader with a hand wash setting, you could use this to wash them without fear of further felting them. On my machine, this is automatically a cold water setting.

I use prefolds and fitteds with my son. I would never put a prefold on him without some kind of insert as he has been a champion pee'r since day 1. I usually use a wool or hemp insert. And with the fitteds I use lay-in soakers. The bamboo velour that came with it, and either a hemp or wool soaker underneath it so the soft squooshy fabric is closest to his skin.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#3 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

So I felted my first few sweaters and began making a pair of longies and now it seems they are really tight on dd... are they supposed to be that way? Once they're felted can they really felt more than that? I mean they are already quite tight and small....

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#4 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSavesAll View Post
So I felted my first few sweaters and began making a pair of longies and now it seems they are really tight on dd... are they supposed to be that way? Once they're felted can they really felt more than that? I mean they are already quite tight and small....
Honestly, there is no way for anyone to know without seeing them. Or, maybe describing them. I felted mine in my front loader. One cycle. There is still some flexibility to the fabric on some of the sweaters, and still some stitch definition, so, I can tell that the stitches could be bonded more tightly with more agitation. But, they're good enough for our purposes.

I don't think there is any right or wrong or "supposed to be". Let your personal preference be your guide. For example, I'm sure there are people out there who don't bother with lanolizing felted sweaters. I still like to, thinking it gives the wool just a bit more ability to absorb without being wet.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#5 of 6 Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Most of my son's woolies are felted sweaters, it sounds like you're not measuring them correctly.

As for washing in the machine, I do. I wash mine on cold in the gentle cycle. And then I take them out and lanolize them 2 pair at a time in the sink with the wool wash. Here are some other tutorials that may work better for you. My favorite is the second link, the flickr series.

Wool sweater pants from sleeves
http://marthasworld76.blogspot.com/2...-recycled.html
Another wool sweater pants from sleeves tutorial
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twelve-...617835/detail/
Katrina patterns
http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/
Recycled longies with feet
http://crunchywannabe.blogspot.com/2...et-sewing.html
Recycled wool wrap
http://www.boiseclothdiapers.com/sew_wool_wrap.htm
Triangle wool soaker from sweater
http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html
#6 of 6 Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 PM

so i can find this

bump.gif

Erinlove.gif, wife to the love of my life partners.gif and mama to Ocean Acacia (19) hearts.gif,  Ivory Sierra (14), tea6.gifMeadow Autumn (12),read.gif Archer Orion (6) notes2.gif , and one more sweet love joining us earthside in late Winter 2012 homebirth.jpg.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page